Help with Asus PC needed.

Found 3rd Aug
Hi guys, I've bought a used Asus PC that has no Windows on it.
I'm trying to install Windows 7, but keep getting the "Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
I have lots of options in BIOS and changed boot sequence, but still get the same message.
The Motherboard is Asus Z87-K and using a new SSD card.

Any help would be great.
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
You need a bootable DVD copy of Windows 7 or an ISO or USB bootable copy of Windows 10.
OBH6UK4 m ago

You need a bootable DVD copy of Windows 7 or an ISO or USB bootable copy …You need a bootable DVD copy of Windows 7 or an ISO or USB bootable copy of Windows 10.

Where do I get one and can transfer to USB pen?
An SSD card? If it's a PCI-E drive then you may not be able to boot from it on a motherboard of that age. It may only boot from SATA devices.

Microsoft offers the Windows 10 installer for download and I believe it does accept Windows 7 keys so that's the one to go for:
microsoft.com/en-…s10
EndlessWaves9 m ago

An SSD card? If it's a PCI-E drive then you may not be able to boot from …An SSD card? If it's a PCI-E drive then you may not be able to boot from it on a motherboard of that age. It may only boot from SATA devices.Microsoft offers the Windows 10 installer for download and I believe it does accept Windows 7 keys so that's the one to go for:https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Stick it on the USB pen?
Tried it and still getting same message. I'm changing boot sequence to boot from USB first, but still nothing.
Just pitching in with obvious. If you you download iso don't open it or extract it. I made that mistake. You need to do go to a burn dvd program and select burn iso.. Not burn data.
Edited by: "wayners" 3rd Aug
WheresMeNuts4 h, 24 m ago

Stick it on the USB pen?

You download the utility in that link and it offers you the option of putting the installer on a USB drive which'll make it bootable and all the rest. It does offer a straight download option to (as an ISO) but you'd have to fiddle about making it bootable yourself if you wanted to use a USB stick.
WheresMeNuts3 h, 15 m ago

Tried it and still getting same message. I'm changing boot sequence to …Tried it and still getting same message. I'm changing boot sequence to boot from USB first, but still nothing.

So is this after you've installed windows or are you unable to get the windows installer to launch in the first place? You haven't provided many details, the error message alone is only meaningful with context.
Still get same message.
microsoft.com/en-…ws7 YES you can download a Windows 7 ISO directly and simply burn it to disc or USB and you will be fine... that is of course if you have a product key, the Bootmgr message simply relates to the PC not initializing the boot code, for example a common mistake, is people try installing from disc but the CD initialization sequence is not been read quick enough by the PC, this happened on a PC I was fixing for someone, the solution was simply burning the Windows ISO to USB and VIOLA, all fixed...

I also recommend trying to obtain a copy of HirensBOOTCD available here: hirensbootcd.org/ this is a NEW one but older versions work amazingly well especially if you can find the DVD version with a portable version of Windows XP, with Hirens Tools you can do and solve all & everything and it will certainly get things booting...
Edited by: "lettherebedeals" 3rd Aug
I used to have this problem too. Long story short you need to go here rufus.akeo.ie/ download the software, plug in a USB pen, set the partition scheme to GPT, DON'T create from an ISO. Instead, after you've created your GPT boot device you need to mount the ISO in Windows Explorer and copy and paste the files to the USB device.

Your SSD is GPT partitioned which wasn't really around when Win7 was released. Win7 can only create MBR boot media which is incompatible with your GPT SSD and gives you that error message (this is an over-simplified explanation).

EDIT - WindowsCentral have a user guide;
windowscentral.com/how…ort
Edited by: "Mattevansc3" 4th Aug
Guys thanks for all the help on this.
I've got it sorted now. What I was doing was changing boot sequence to boot from CD/DVD drive first when using the disc and also tried the same when trying it with a USB pen. What i did not know was even when i'm changing it in normal mode and advance mode within the BIOS, I also had to click on another button and choose the same boot option :-/
Basically i had to change the boot sequence on 3 options within BIOS for it to boot the disc. Not sure why Asus make it so complicated :-)

Again thanks guys.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants