Help With Backing Up My iPod

Alright folks. Had a bit of a disaster this week. My girlfriend dropped my External Hard Drive, which is now messed up. Lost all my songs, videos, TV programmes, games, university work, photos, everything. *Sniff*

Anyway, the only music I've got now are the 1,400 songs I have on my iPod. I want to start building up my collection again and have a backup on disk, so I want to transfer them back from my iPod to my PC. I've activated the hidden files and I can see the music files on my iPod to copy and paste.

But...

I didn't know this until ten minutes ago, but my iPod has arranged these songs into 50 folders, named "F00", "F01", "F02" and so on up to "F49". Normally this wouldn't be anything more than a slight irritance, but it's also renamed each and every one of my songs into a random 4-letter filename.

Which, frankly, sucks arse. The ID tags are still there, but I don't want 1,400 songs with useless filenames and it would take far too long to rename them all individually.

What I'm wondering, is there a way I can "reverse" this so that when I transfer the songs back from my iPod onto my computer, the original filenames will be restored? Preferrably keeping the ID tag information.

Cheers for any help / advice.

5 Comments

Use winamp. Configure CD ripping to file structure you want, then right click on tracks , select 'copy to local media' and you are done.

with yamipod, you just drag and drop.....

What happended to the external hard drive ? Was it just the casing broken or the software not working ?
Take the actual drive out and you can link it to a PC and access your data .Easily done m8 . I agree if the hard drive is seriously broken ,you'll stand little chance of data retrieval ,but , if it spins you maybe OK .

Original Poster

ricko;1668697

What happended to the external hard drive ? Was it just the casing broken … What happended to the external hard drive ? Was it just the casing broken or the software not working ?Take the actual drive out and you can link it to a PC and access your data .Easily done m8 . I agree if the hard drive is seriously broken ,you'll stand little chance of data retrieval ,but , if it spins you maybe OK .

Tried all that unfortunately mate, it's goosed. Just clicks

Cheers everyone else
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2641
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1214

See more discussions