Help with boiler repair. Engineer replaced wrong parts

Posted 6th Dec 2019
I’ll make it short, boiler broke down and engineer came out. It’s been 4 days with no hot water. He suggested two possible causes, the igniters £90 or the gas valve £200. He’s replaced both and the boiler still isn’t working. It’s a Heatline Vizo 24 and the flashing light says check ionisation or gas flow. The problem is the the boiler fires up then cuts out after 10 seconds. I don’t know what to do now as I don’t want to keep paying this engineer to replace parts as he’s already cost me £350 inc labour. Any help much appreciated.

3357498-5PlqD.jpg
3357498-rVDIq.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
mutley106/12/2019 18:26

this is why i have my central heating insured with british gas as …this is why i have my central heating insured with british gas as otherwise you could end up paying a lot of money to a gas engineer to repair the boiler and it still stay broke.

That's a great help to the OP.
33 Comments
He "suggested"??? That says to me he hadn't a clue and you should not have authorised him to doth or even one suggestion.
In cases like this I would want a fixed price quote for a fix and no fix-no fee. If an engineer is not confident about his own ability they will shy away from doing this which is in your favour really.
But you are where you are and you either get somebody else or shame this engineer into fixing.

citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ts/

citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ce/
tardytortoise06/12/2019 17:31

He "suggested"??? That says to me he hadn't a clue and you should not …He "suggested"??? That says to me he hadn't a clue and you should not have authorised him to doth or even one suggestion.In cases like this I would want a fixed price quote for a fix and no fix-no fee. If an engineer is not confident about his own ability they will shy away from doing this which is in your favour really.But you are where you are and you either get somebody else or shame this engineer into fixing.https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/getting-home-improvements-done/problem-with-home-improvements/https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/complain-about-a-service/

Thanks for the links, I didn’t pay him labour but I paid for parts which cost me £290. He couldn’t find the fault and I’m not throwing more money at it. I’m going to buy a new boiler instead
this is why i have my central heating insured with british gas as otherwise you could end up paying a lot of money to a gas engineer to repair the boiler and it still stay broke.
deleted1471098

this is why i have my central heating insured with british gas as …this is why i have my central heating insured with british gas as otherwise you could end up paying a lot of money to a gas engineer to repair the boiler and it still stay broke.

The insurance isn’t worth it, by the time you’ve had the boiler 10 years you could have just bought a new boiler with the money you pay British Gas.
Sounds like a similar problem - suggested to be associated with the condensate trap ....... diynot.com/diy…64/

That's a great help to the OP.
deleted147109806/12/2019 18:58

The insurance isn’t worth it, by the time you’ve had the boiler 10 years yo …The insurance isn’t worth it, by the time you’ve had the boiler 10 years you could have just bought a new boiler with the money you pay British Gas.

I’ve had Homecare with BG for around 2 years. For the heating/hot water and pipe work cover I pay around £20 per month and we’ve had so many different issues with our boiler and radiators (through sheer bad luck) that we’ve called out BG around 7 or 8 times in that time. They’ve replaced several different parts, with everything included in the monthly cost. Plus we’ve received two annual services. On the one occasion an engineer couldn’t sort a problem, a different one came out the next dayand fixed it.
I would say we’ve definitely got our money’s worth and for sheer peace of mind alone I’m glad to have it, not to mention the money it’s saved if we had had to call out an engineer privately every time we needed help.
Edited by: "ytfc_nick" 6th Dec 2019
deleted1471098
ytfc_nick06/12/2019 20:40

I’ve had Homecare with BG for around 2 years. For the heating/hot water a …I’ve had Homecare with BG for around 2 years. For the heating/hot water and pipe work cover I pay around £20 per month and we’ve had so many different issues with our boiler and radiators (through sheer bad luck) that we’ve called out BG around 7 or 8 times in that time. They’ve replaced several different parts, with everything included in the monthly cost. Plus we’ve received two annual services. On the one occasion an engineer couldn’t sort a problem, a different one came out the next dayand fixed it.I would say we’ve definitely got our money’s worth and for sheer peace of mind alone I’m glad to have it, not to mention the money it’s saved if we had had to call out an engineer privately every time we needed help.

Your price will skyrocket next year

Also includes an annual service free of charge as well

I’ve had Homecare with BG for around 2 years. For the heating/hot water a …I’ve had Homecare with BG for around 2 years. For the heating/hot water and pipe work cover I pay around £20 per month and we’ve had so many different issues with our boiler and radiators (through sheer bad luck) that we’ve called out BG around 7 or 8 times in that time. They’ve replaced several different parts, with everything included in the monthly cost. Plus we’ve received two annual services. On the one occasion an engineer couldn’t sort a problem, a different one came out the next dayand fixed it.I would say we’ve definitely got our money’s worth and for sheer peace of mind alone I’m glad to have it, not to mention the money it’s saved if we had had to call out an engineer privately every time we needed help.

Get ready for the price hefty hike if you've had a few call outs.
deleted147109806/12/2019 18:58

The insurance isn’t worth it, by the time you’ve had the boiler 10 years yo …The insurance isn’t worth it, by the time you’ve had the boiler 10 years you could have just bought a new boiler with the money you pay British Gas.

i have several boilers as you know and i am tight as you also well know, so i am not the sort of person who pays for anything unless i am getting value for it, and british gas homecare has been great value for me. new boilers can break down after a couple of years and continue to do so well before they reach 7 years, let alone 10 years.

british gas has repaired my boilers several times over the its lifespan so the money i pay for the insurance surpasses the cost of the repairs. it would have cost me a lot more to pay a gas engineer and i am never assured to get one that can fix the boiler and more than likely end up with a cowboy engineer, like the OP has done. too much stress, much better value to pay for insurance in this instance.
Why I pay Halifax home cover £3 a month for a full year cover and I unlimited call Outs up to £1000 for heat , water , electrical , drains and pest

You really need to plan ahead
Edited by: "ashmac" 6th Dec 2019

Your getting had over , I was paying daft money until I did my research
Don't know how this guy came up with the gas valve and igniters.
Suggestions would be flame sensing sensor, Temp stats or possible PCB.
But heat line aren't really good boilers at all. I wouldn't waste money on repairing it if you have the budget. You could always list the parts on eBay as buy it now with quick delivery and they will sell.
Also parts are cheap to buy of eBay.
Looking on eBay the gas valves go around £80 so you won't get much. But good news is the parts you need to try and repair your boiler are not that expensive if you want to give it a go.
Just a tip for the future. A lot of manufacturers offer a one price fix fee for boiler repairs including parts. Normally around £250. They are always a good call as no one knows there boilers as good as they do.
You can also call them. When I was a gas engineer if I had a problematic boiler or something I wasn't to sure about they have a very good support line. Highly recommend always calling the support line before going out and buying electrical parts. As they are non refundable
Is your heating OK then? We had the same problem as you and it was just a loose thermistor which I pushed back in to fix
ashmac06/12/2019 22:49

Why I pay Halifax home cover £3 a month for a full year cover and I …Why I pay Halifax home cover £3 a month for a full year cover and I unlimited call Outs up to £1000 for heat , water , electrical , drains and pest You really need to plan ahead

Hope you've read up on the small print details, so many exclusions.
deleted1471098
mutley106/12/2019 22:18

i have several boilers as you know and i am tight as you also well know, …i have several boilers as you know and i am tight as you also well know, so i am not the sort of person who pays for anything unless i am getting value for it, and british gas homecare has been great value for me. new boilers can break down after a couple of years and continue to do so well before they reach 7 years, let alone 10 years.british gas has repaired my boilers several times over the its lifespan so the money i pay for the insurance surpasses the cost of the repairs. it would have cost me a lot more to pay a gas engineer and i am never assured to get one that can fix the boiler and more than likely end up with a cowboy engineer, like the OP has done. too much stress, much better value to pay for insurance in this instance.

Next time get a better boiler, I’ve had two Worcester Bosch boilers (as I moved house) both worked without fault for years one in last house was 7 years old when I sold the house and this one is 8-9 years old (was installed 3-4 years before we moved in) both rock solid. I get British gas for the service but don’t have the insurance as it’s not needed. They increase the premiums the more you use it so expect it to double per month over time (I had the insurance at a previous house before these two places).
kash201307/12/2019 02:26

Don't know how this guy came up with the gas valve and igniters. …Don't know how this guy came up with the gas valve and igniters. Suggestions would be flame sensing sensor, Temp stats or possible PCB. But heat line aren't really good boilers at all. I wouldn't waste money on repairing it if you have the budget. You could always list the parts on eBay as buy it now with quick delivery and they will sell.Also parts are cheap to buy of eBay. Looking on eBay the gas valves go around £80 so you won't get much. But good news is the parts you need to try and repair your boiler are not that expensive if you want to give it a go. Just a tip for the future. A lot of manufacturers offer a one price fix fee for boiler repairs including parts. Normally around £250. They are always a good call as no one knows there boilers as good as they do. You can also call them. When I was a gas engineer if I had a problematic boiler or something I wasn't to sure about they have a very good support line. Highly recommend always calling the support line before going out and buying electrical parts. As they are non refundable

I believe Vizo have sold up now to Valiant and the guy phoned them and told them what was happening and they said it “could possibly” be those parts that were replaced. They cover their own backs so they don’t can’t be held liable. I’m going to fork out for a new boiler as I’ve pumped £290 into this already. I’ll phone up today and see if they offer that service you mention that’s normally about £250, someone else mentioned that too. Maybe I can try and claw back some money on eBay then as parts, I could take the new gas valve off I bought and sell it hopefully for about £80 as it’s basically brand new and I’ve got the receipt for a £200 payment
deleted147109807/12/2019 07:08

Next time get a better boiler, I’ve had two Worcester Bosch boilers (as I m …Next time get a better boiler, I’ve had two Worcester Bosch boilers (as I moved house) both worked without fault for years one in last house was 7 years old when I sold the house and this one is 8-9 years old (was installed 3-4 years before we moved in) both rock solid. I get British gas for the service but don’t have the insurance as it’s not needed. They increase the premiums the more you use it so expect it to double per month over time (I had the insurance at a previous house before these two places).

We rented the house for 5 years then bought it off the landlord so this is our first boiler problem and it’s a learning curve to invest in a good product. Someone mentioned that Ideal do a cheap boiler with a 7 year warrantee. About £700, not sure what these are like though.
ScubaDudes06/12/2019 22:01

Get ready for the price hefty hike if you've had a few call outs.

Nearly all of the call outs were before the latest premium which went up by around £4/5 as a result. Definitely something I can live with for piece of mind.
deleted1471098
jayonline8507/12/2019 08:10

We rented the house for 5 years then bought it off the landlord so this is …We rented the house for 5 years then bought it off the landlord so this is our first boiler problem and it’s a learning curve to invest in a good product. Someone mentioned that Ideal do a cheap boiler with a 7 year warrantee. About £700, not sure what these are like though.

Rubbish and boiler cost will vary depending on size of house, how many radiators and showers etc. A Worcester Bosch for a 3 bed semi is roughly about £1300-1500 fitted I believe
deleted147109807/12/2019 09:15

Rubbish and boiler cost will vary depending on size of house, how many …Rubbish and boiler cost will vary depending on size of house, how many radiators and showers etc. A Worcester Bosch for a 3 bed semi is roughly about £1300-1500 fitted I believe

Try 2K+. Use boxt.com for a guide
deleted1471098
MadeDixonsCry07/12/2019 09:37

Depends where you live and size of boiler required, am in SW.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 7th Dec 2019
MadeDixonsCry07/12/2019 09:37

A Worcester Bosch 25kw boiler is from £900 to £1150 to buy and a local installer will charge around £350 to install.
Sites like Boxt are really just overpriced sales pitches.
You can go with them or British gas etc. But they will send a installation company to fit the boiler.
They really don't do much different as a local installer would but just inflate the price.
I worked a long time in the building industry and I seen people use British gas lots of times for peace of mind but not once was I impressed with there installs.

SSE do a one of repair for £295. Lots of others will offer a similar service.
39284255-mvVWs.jpg
Edited by: "kash2013" 7th Dec 2019
kash201307/12/2019 10:12

A Worcester Bosch 25kw boiler is from £900 to £1150 to buy and a local i …A Worcester Bosch 25kw boiler is from £900 to £1150 to buy and a local installer will charge around £350 to install. Sites like Boxt are really just overpriced sales pitches. You can go with them or British gas etc. But they will send a installation company to fit the boiler. They really don't do much different as a local installer would but just inflate the price. I worked a long time in the building industry and I seen people use British gas lots of times for peace of mind but not once was I impressed with there installs.SSE do a one of repair for £295. Lots of others will offer a similar service. [Image]

Too right. Just got a quote - £2195 for a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15Ri. Boiler costs £800 Inc vat so £1400 labour!
deleted147109807/12/2019 07:08

Next time get a better boiler, I’ve had two Worcester Bosch boilers (as I m …Next time get a better boiler, I’ve had two Worcester Bosch boilers (as I moved house) both worked without fault for years one in last house was 7 years old when I sold the house and this one is 8-9 years old (was installed 3-4 years before we moved in) both rock solid. I get British gas for the service but don’t have the insurance as it’s not needed. They increase the premiums the more you use it so expect it to double per month over time (I had the insurance at a previous house before these two places).

i have boiler of different brands, vaillant, potterton, worcester bosch, and they are all good brands. they can still break down at any time even though they are reliable brands, just like cars. as i have more boilers than the average person, i can tell you that certain brands may last longer, but that doesn't mean it won't break down and need repairs. it just means it breaks down less, or that with repairs it can continue to function longer before it is deemed uneconomical to repair and you have to replace it with a new boiler.

simply relying on a boiler brand is not proof enough against repair costs. i would advise the OP to get british gas homecare for the next boiler after it has gone past 3 years as i find that is when things may start to break down.

british gas premium does increase year on year, but not as a result of a claim, as i find that their increase for the properties are similar whether there has been a claim or not. the increase tends to be 10% a year.
Edited by: "mutley1" 7th Dec 2019
kash201307/12/2019 10:12

A Worcester Bosch 25kw boiler is from £900 to £1150 to buy and a local i …A Worcester Bosch 25kw boiler is from £900 to £1150 to buy and a local installer will charge around £350 to install. Sites like Boxt are really just overpriced sales pitches. You can go with them or British gas etc. But they will send a installation company to fit the boiler. They really don't do much different as a local installer would but just inflate the price. I worked a long time in the building industry and I seen people use British gas lots of times for peace of mind but not once was I impressed with there installs.SSE do a one of repair for £295. Lots of others will offer a similar service. [Image]

I got robbed despite getting 4 quotes.
ashmac06/12/2019 22:50

Your getting had over , I was paying daft money until I did my research

That depends - depending on the age of your boiler someother companies won't cover you.

Our boiler was old when we moved in, and that was 13 years ago. We have boiler cover, and have had maybe 10 calls over that time - and all the calls have been over things around the boiler. So things like timers, thermostats, etc. Until the boiler breaks beyond repair, it's not economical enough for us to replace it as the savings in fuel bills won't cover the cost of replacing the boiler.
chocci07/12/2019 10:24

Too right. Just got a quote - £2195 for a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15Ri. …Too right. Just got a quote - £2195 for a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15Ri. Boiler costs £800 Inc vat so £1400 labour!

I have a 20+ year old Potterton Kingfisher RS60 (like you if I remember correctly) and it has been a workhorse - only ever needed replacement thermocouples. Still working fine but I've done some research in preparation for the day i need to change it and I'm currently favouring an Intergas boiler (System Boiler) - I first heard of them when recommended by @themorgatron on here. I expect them to be a similar price to Worcester Bosch (et al) when fitted but I like the simplicity of the design and the history of reliability. No direct experience with them myself yet but I think worth a look.
JimboParrot07/12/2019 07:08

Hope you've read up on the small print details, so many exclusions.

I’ve had them out tons of times and never not done a repair , they even rebuilt it for me till they found a hard fault
Van197307/12/2019 11:02

I have a 20+ year old Potterton Kingfisher RS60 (like you if I remember …I have a 20+ year old Potterton Kingfisher RS60 (like you if I remember correctly) and it has been a workhorse - only ever needed replacement thermocouples. Still working fine but I've done some research in preparation for the day i need to change it and I'm currently favouring an Intergas boiler (System Boiler) - I first heard of them when recommended by @themorgatron on here. I expect them to be a similar price to Worcester Bosch (et al) when fitted but I like the simplicity of the design and the history of reliability. No direct experience with them myself yet but I think worth a look.

You have a great memory. Mine is 25+ years and very reliable. just dont see any economic benefit in replacing it considering the initial outlay and potential reliability problems that I dont currently have.
alg07/12/2019 10:52

That depends - depending on the age of your boiler someother companies …That depends - depending on the age of your boiler someother companies won't cover you.Our boiler was old when we moved in, and that was 13 years ago. We have boiler cover, and have had maybe 10 calls over that time - and all the calls have been over things around the boiler. So things like timers, thermostats, etc. Until the boiler breaks beyond repair, it's not economical enough for us to replace it as the savings in fuel bills won't cover the cost of replacing the boiler.

look into some insurers who give free home emergency cover (including boilers). My home insurance is with sheilas wheels and have used heating repairs 3 times in 3 years and no charge each time and no increase in premium. (max limit per callout is £500). Each time , the heating enginner turned up within 2-3 hours.

39285799-YsTMP.jpg39285799-u2C4c.jpg
Edited by: "chocci" 7th Dec 2019
chocci07/12/2019 06:46

Is your heating OK then? We had the same problem as you and it was just a …Is your heating OK then? We had the same problem as you and it was just a loose thermistor which I pushed back in to fix

My heating was ok. BG replaced the thermistor along with 4 other parts including ignition chamber and control panel.
All working good now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions