help with car insurance excess help please

Hi i have an hire car wich i still have to pay for 3 years and the last payment of £10.000. I have it for 1 year i had an accident last month. I am insured with xa direct and they want £12.000 for the accident for the excess!?!?!?!??! They said in a letter that if there isnt any payment the bailiff will come but i have no property apart from my car on hire with mercedes and blackhorse now i am worried i dont know what will happen if they can get my car? Can i pay the £12.000 monthly?? I am really worried please i dont know what to do

35 Comments

For the sake of £12, just pay it
Edited by: "jcodonne" 9th May

Have you typed that right, surely there can't be £12k excess

the car is legally not yours as you have hire car so they won't take it

Judging by the number of zeros (3 not 2), I think the OP means 12 Thousand and not 12 pounds. Speaks to citizens advise. They should be able to guide you

Seems like a rogue dealer or at worst scammer who somehow got hold of your details.

As said, bailiffs can't take anything on Hire Purchase or property not belonging to you. HOWEVER proof will be required not just your say so.

As for the excess: If its an expensive merc then i'd guess the excess could be £12,000. Check your insurance documents, the excess may be made up of various factors such as young driver, standard excess, inexperienced driver (not held license for 2+ years)

I also presume this wasn't the insurances 1st attempt at contacting you regarding the payment, don't ignore things. It will only make them worse. Yes you should be able to agree a monthly payment plan but normally if you don't stick to it they will want full payment, try not to let it get to the bailiffs as they will have costs added that you'll need to pay on top of the insurance excess.

Agree with Hocky. If the case went to the courts, you are not the legal owner of the car, so that can't be seized.

If you have no assets the claimant can force bankruptcy upon you. However, a £12,000 excess seems awfully high! I would double check the paper work. It could be an upsetting mistake.

Also, if you don't pay the bill, bailiffs won't just turn up. You will get other opportunities to solve the problem first I'm sure.

If £12,000 is the right figure on the paper work, get professional advise or go to CAB. Never heard of an excess so high!

If you intend to pay the final £10k payment then just pay to mend yourself and drop the insurance claim (presuming nobody else was involved).

Original Poster

yes they want £11,620.00 to be exact i am really getting stressed and paranoid i don't know what to do my car got roughly £3000.00 damage and the other car just between 500 and 600 so i dont understand what is goung on now all started with an investigator called from my insurance company on behalf of them for the accident. Please guys dont hesitate to ask me details and thanks i will go to citizens advise tomorrow

Original Poster

My excess should be of £3000.00 pounds but the letter from the insurance company (Insureyourmotor on behalf of xs direct) they want £11.620.00. O.0 Heeeelp

Original Poster

As i got my car from mercedes but with blackhorse will thwy take my car and leave me the debit with blackhorse? If i really have to pay that anount of money is it just in full amount or i can pay monthly? The insurance company don't answer the phone but keep on sending me letters

what did you crash in to, a planet?

Terminolgy appears confused. What is the exact description of the suggested £11,600 amount? Is it an actual demand for money, or is it some statement of a value / loss / balance of something; does the word "may" appear in the sentence describing the amount?

Alex91vl

yes they want £11,620.00 to be exact i am really getting stressed and … yes they want £11,620.00 to be exact i am really getting stressed and paranoid i don't know what to do my car got roughly £3000.00 damage and the other car just between 500 and 600 so i dont understand what is goung on now all started with an investigator called from my insurance company on behalf of them for the accident. Please guys dont hesitate to ask me details and thanks i will go to citizens advise tomorrow

If their car had such little damage and yours was only £3000, why are they asking for so much? What is your excess? Are they looking for damages and personal injury claims? Sounds a bit crash for cash to me.

Are they suggesting that, for whatever reason, your insurance is invalid and you are liable for all costs incurred as a result of the collision?

Ah, just seen post above. Hope it works out ok for you.
Edited by: "TheNoid" 9th May

Original Poster

dataload

what did you crash in to, a planet?

A mercedes ML old model my car is really damaged and hes got nothing just the rear bumper

I'm guessing as the OP didn't take any gap insurance the extra £8600 is because of the future value of the car has been devalued due to it being damaged and will be reclassified. If you are buying it at the end for the agreed value (£10k) this should not be payable. Just you will be left with a car worth less than you hoped.

GAVINLEWISHUKD

I'm guessing as the OP didn't take any gap insurance the extra £8600 is … I'm guessing as the OP didn't take any gap insurance the extra £8600 is because of the future value of the car has been devalued due to it being damaged and will be reclassified. If you are buying it at the end for the agreed value (£10k) this should not be payable. Just you will be left with a car worth less than you hoped.

That would make sense but I'd be surprised if Black horse who have hired the car out would be trying to get their money back through the insurance company as I would have thought they would have dealt direct.

I still think the amount is the £3K excess plus some additional charge not covered under the insurance T&C's and which his insurer is trying to recover directly.

I'm wondering maybe the costs include the insurance companies time and checks as well as personal injury. It does sound very high and I think you have the right answer by going to citizen advice tomorrow.

I'm sure this will get sorted out so dont stress...... or try not to.

Edited by: "jdpwest" 9th May

jdpwest

That would make sense but I'd be suprised if the Finance company who have … That would make sense but I'd be suprised if the Finance company who have hired the car out would be trying to claim through he insurance company as I would have thought they would have dealt direct.I still think the amount is the £3K excess plus some additional charge not covered under the insurance T&C's and which his insurer is trying to recover directly.

There's one post about having an extra almost 4k added for legal costs, on top of the 3k excess.

Original Poster

If i really have to pay this amount will they accept monthly payments? I cant find anything on the web regarding monthly payments for excess

Alex91vl

My excess should be of £3000.00 pounds but the letter from the insurance … My excess should be of £3000.00 pounds but the letter from the insurance company (Insureyourmotor on behalf of xs direct) they want £11.620.00. O.0 Heeeelp

Have you read your policy cover terms?
Don't just go off what the insurance letters are saying. If your policy agreement says your excess is £3000 then that's what it is. Even send them a photocopy (not original) of your policy schedule detailing your excess amount.
I would certainly question the insurance company, also I'm pretty sure that compensation for injury claims are covered by insurance companies (hence one reason for having insurance) so they cannot just pass this directly onto you.
I'm suspicious of the entire scenario to be honest.

Also, They cannot send bailiffs without a court order. Even then, they could only legally do that if the court went against you and you refused to pay.
Insurance is there to absorb costs in the event of an accident, yet it seems they have just passed the entire costs straight onto you. Sounds very very fishy to me.

steve1221

There's one post about having an extra almost 4k added for legal costs, … There's one post about having an extra almost 4k added for legal costs, on top of the 3k excess.

Their policy document makes interesting reading.....

xsdirectinsurance.co.uk/XSD…pdf
Edited by: "jdpwest" 9th May

Check your T&Cs but I think you are liable for the 3rd party excess as well unfortunately. 12K is a lot though a I would ask for a full break down of costs to see if you can wittle it down a little. These parasites are the Wonga of the insurance industry.

118luke

Have you read your policy cover terms?Don't just go off what the … Have you read your policy cover terms?Don't just go off what the insurance letters are saying. If your policy agreement says your excess is £3000 then that's what it is. Even send them a photocopy (not original) of your policy schedule detailing your excess amount.I would certainly question the insurance company, also I'm pretty sure that compensation for injury claims are covered by insurance companies (hence one reason for having insurance) so they cannot just pass this directly onto you.I'm suspicious of the entire scenario to be honest.Also, They cannot send bailiffs without a court order. Even then, they could only legally do that if the court went against you and you refused to pay.Insurance is there to absorb costs in the event of an accident, yet it seems they have just passed the entire costs straight onto you. Sounds very very fishy to me.

does sound strange. some of the reviews said that this company will pay out as you'd expect an insurance company to do but then want to recoup the costs from the policy holder or threaten with legal action if they dont

am you paying insurance monthly? if so then when you've had an accident they will want all the annual amount in 1 go

Were you drink driving?

Were you at fault for the accident? Did you break the law? If you broke the law, I.e drink driving, you won't have a leg to stand on.

Even if it was your fault, you normally have to pay the excess, lose your no claims and have future higher premiums. No demands for obscene money.

Something just doesn't add up here.

interesting reading.om the enclosed link, how much of it is actually.legal binding I would question it, seems a bit excessive for an insurer

First i would check if your policy is an all excess policy if not then technically if you dont put a claim through to get your car repaired you dont need to pay up. If it is an all excess policy then you only need to pay for the cost that thrid party are seeking. You say its about £600 damage to third party am guess if you dont repair your car through your insurance then you should only pay what the cost was to repair third parties car
Edited by: "Spider91" 10th May

Original Poster

Hi guys sorry for not being actuve, i am now more worried as i have received an email from them......

Dear Policyholder

Please see attached a copy of the letter sent to you indicating your excess is now due to be paid.

Payment is due in full, and accepted only against a credit or debit card in your or any named drivers name.

To make a payment please call us 033 33 443 014

Regards,

Conor O’ Keeffe

Debt recovery

Original Poster

I have called them but they hang up and send me a text saying

Dear Mr .....,

I will call you tomorrow morning in regards the letter that you have received. I must refer this to the claims handler who is currently out of office till tomorrow. I will have an answer for you then.

Thanks,

XS Direct

Alex91vl

yes they want £11,620.00 to be exact i am really getting stressed and … yes they want £11,620.00 to be exact i am really getting stressed and paranoid i don't know what to do my car got roughly £3000.00 damage and the other car just between 500 and 600 so i dont understand what is goung on now all started with an investigator called from my insurance company on behalf of them for the accident. Please guys dont hesitate to ask me details and thanks i will go to citizens advise tomorrow

i am confused man. have you received a court summons to attend court? they can't instigate bailiffs until you have been to court and a judge issues a judgement against you.

It may help people to understand, if they knew what the accident actually was?

What happened?

If you want help from people, I think you need to provide the whole picture, or you won't get the help you are clearly looking for.

Alex91vl

I have called them but they hang up and send me a text saying Dear Mr … I have called them but they hang up and send me a text saying Dear Mr .....,I will call you tomorrow morning in regards the letter that you have received. I must refer this to the claims handler who is currently out of office till tomorrow. I will have an answer for you then.Thanks,XS Direct

Keep a record of all attempts at communication you make with them.
If they are refusing to speak over the phone, this will go against them in court as you are proactively looking to resolve the matter.

Did it get resolved Alex91vl?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which Pond Pump22
    2. Laser eye surgery33
    3. Selling advice33
    4. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)711

See more discussions