Groups
    EXPIRED

Help with car tax renewel for disabled person.

Hi, I'm entitled to 50% off of my car tax because of a disability but I'm not sure how I go about renewing. The gov.uk website says about sending my details off to the dvla with a v10 form but I don't understand why I need this form because I received my renewal form in the post. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

8 Comments

I'm not being harsh here, but why does having a disability give you 50% off your vehicle emissions duty?

Thought it was all done online now as paper tax discs are gone, Just mostly guessing here, But don't you do it online and enter your tax exemption/discount code from your exemption letter/certificate? something like that!

tomthebeast

I'm not being harsh here, but why does having a disability give you 50% … I'm not being harsh here, but why does having a disability give you 50% off your vehicle emissions duty?

Harder to get around if your disabled isn't it so wheels are kind of there legs, and not just a luxury like they are for most of us!

Is the discount from DLA/PIP?
    If so, contact them. They will advice you how to renew.

tomthebeast

I'm not being harsh here, but why does having a disability give you 50% … I'm not being harsh here, but why does having a disability give you 50% off your vehicle emissions duty?

My son is disabled. He is unable to walk very far without being in pain.
    Our car is his only way of getting from A to B. The car is classed as a disability aid. The cost of living with a disability is probably treble that of an able bodied person. And so certain items/aids are reduced VAT or free of VAT or discounted to help the person be able to live as normal a life as possible.

brummiechicken

Is the discount from DLA/PIP?If so, contact them. They will advice you … Is the discount from DLA/PIP?If so, contact them. They will advice you how to renew.

What he said as the whole tax system has changed
    Ignore the first moronic comment also

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I'll do what brummiechicken said and contact them. Thanks again, have a great christmas.

brummiechicken

My son is disabled. He is unable to walk very far without being in … My son is disabled. He is unable to walk very far without being in pain.Our car is his only way of getting from A to B. The car is classed as a disability aid. The cost of living with a disability is probably treble that of an able bodied person. And so certain items/aids are reduced VAT or free of VAT or discounted to help the person be able to live as normal a life as possible.

That's fair enough then. I hadn't thought about that. Sorry for my ignorance
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?611
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424014473
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826350
      4. word association Game73844457

See more discussions