Groups

help with connecting to internet

i have got a problem with getting my childrens pc online, i have searched google and havent found the answer.
    i have a belkin router and their pc is connected to this via a usb adapter, its been online before without problem but now it wont.
    i have entered the hex key ect and it says im connected with good strength , but i have limited or no activity, on a repair it says cannot connect to defult gateway, and the ip cannot be renewed. what do i do? costs too much to phone virgin media now they have stopped giving broadband advice on phone for free.

help if you can as kids need pc for homework .

20 Comments

Maybe it's because you searched googlew, try just google innit

Original Poster

stange thing is tho i can connect to internet wileless with my laptop no problems, this has a internal wireless card .

Original Poster

the.tourist

Maybe it's because you searched googlew, try just google innit

lol, i tried them as well

Banned

turn router off then back on?

Original Poster

ok will try it

Banned

sorry cant help, but have you looked on [url]www.moneysaving[/url] expert.com, they have some really good tech guys on there

pop a search in the tech board if you not a member, may have already been asked, just a thought if you get no response soon :thumbsup:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/for…=29

katya1971

i have got a problem with getting my childrens pc online, i have searched … i have got a problem with getting my childrens pc online, i have searched google and havent found the answer.i have a belkin router and their pc is connected to this via a usb adapter, its been online before without problem but now it wont.i have entered the hex key ect and it says im connected with good strength , but i have limited or no activity, on a repair it says cannot connect to defult gateway, and the ip cannot be renewed. what do i do? costs too much to phone virgin media now they have stopped giving broadband advice on phone for free.help if you can as kids need pc for homework .

firstly go to dos (start menu--->run then type in cmd, then get to your root directorry by typing in cd.. until you get back to your local drive eg. C:\ then type in ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew)

if this doesnt work look below

katya i had the same problem with my pc about 6 months ago, i ended up reinstalling some files that had gotten corrupted from my windows disc.

2 months ago the exact same thing happened to my girlfriend's sisters pc i went round and couldnt remember how i had fixed it when i had the problem, so i ended up reformatting her pc.

Took me about a hour or 2 not so bad as long as you know which sound/graphics drivers to reinstall when you set it back up, and if you do decide to reformat it remember to back up your important files, eg work/college/school documents.

Just a few quick tests before heading off in to the unknown!

[LIST=1]
    [*]Unplug the Kids USB connection to the modem.

[*]Turn the power off both to the modem and the router and wait 30 seconds

[*]Switch on the modem and wait for the lights to stay static (aka all connected)

[*]Switch on the router and again wait to it is connected to the modem.

[*]Plug the USB connection into the kids PC and then see if it connects.
    [/LIST]

Hi, I have the same problem with one of my pc's, all i do is unplug the usb adapter and plug it back in and it works fine, i don't know why it keeps having this problem but it works fine after i plug it back in.

Hope this helps

I'm with Virgin media and have an occasional problem with the wireless on the laptop (using a D-link setup) i have to uninstal and reinstall the PCMIA card

Original Poster

thanks sassie

Original Poster

right i be back to report if i get some joy with any of your kind help . thanks guys have posted on mse forum also so maybe will get sorted .
    x

Banned

do routers even have usb connectable sockets?i thought they were all wireless and ethernet?
    anyone know?

hayton2k3

do routers even have usb connectable sockets?i thought they were all … do routers even have usb connectable sockets?i thought they were all wireless and ethernet?anyone know?

Yes they do.

From what I have read it is a problem with the local PC as the Laptop can connect to the router.

I suspect currupt drivers on the PC. Try removinging these and reistalling.

Original Poster

is this weird but after doing an ipconfig i have no gateway address should i have one ?

Original Poster

Dhaos

firstly go to dos (start menu---run then type in cmd, then get to your … firstly go to dos (start menu--->run then type in cmd, then get to your root directorry by typing in cd.. until you get back to your local drive eg. C:\ then type in ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew)if this doesnt work look belowkatya i had the same problem with my pc about 6 months ago, i ended up reinstalling some files that had gotten corrupted from my windows disc.2 months ago the exact same thing happened to my girlfriend's sisters pc i went round and couldnt remember how i had fixed it when i had the problem, so i ended up reformatting her pc.Took me about a hour or 2 not so bad as long as you know which sound/graphics drivers to reinstall when you set it back up, and if you do decide to reformat it remember to back up your important files, eg work/college/school documents.

tried the ipconfig release/renew and it did nothing at all ,,ahh looks like im gonna have to redo my windows grrrr.

Banned

cant you just do system restore?

katya1971

tried the ipconfig release/renew and it did nothing at all ,,ahh looks … tried the ipconfig release/renew and it did nothing at all ,,ahh looks like im gonna have to redo my windows grrrr.

STOP.

It can not see the gatway thats all. You don't need a fresh install.

Original Poster

i could systen restore but what to ? seems this has happened since i upgraded my main pc (one directly connected to router) changed from xp to vista ? didnt think it would cause probs .

i have checked all the settings on my router and they seem fine.

Original Poster

stora

STOP.It can not see the gatway thats all. You don't need a fresh install.

ok how can i make it see the gateway please ?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Need help with home Internet dropping out please22
      2. Anyone got a spare Argos 10% code from the Xbox Minecraft mistake?56
      3. Should I buy brand new wd drive without warranty on ebay78
      4. Jury service69

See more discussions