Groups

Help with downloading

I'm downloading a t o r r e n t using bit t o r r e n t

the desciption of the t o r r e n t says that the average download speed is 260kb/sec

however my down rate states 2 k/b - 5 k/b

i have a 20mb wireless internet connection

what is making my downloads so slow!?!?

19 Comments

Are you being throttled by your ISP.
    Are you downloading or uploading anything else at the same time
    What are the settings on your torrent client.

It can be a number of things.

what is the ratio of the torrent is it something like 300/10 or 10/300 if the second one, then that will be why you speed is slow

usually happens when someone is uploading at the same time.

you are also limited by your source

i know BT throttle my connection to peer to peer sites at peak hours it rockets back up after 11 ish at night and is usually really fast through the day. (its all in there T&C's)

Certain providers will only allow faster speeds between 12am and 8am in other words, off peak.

Also depends on how many seeders you are connected to
    and what site you are using

Original Poster

i've checked the settings and ive put optium download and upload at the highest possible

ive got a couple of things downloading, but nothing uploading

the download speeds always seem to be at roughly these speeds - never goes above 50kb

roryk83;1709425

i've checked the settings and ive put optium download and upload at the … i've checked the settings and ive put optium download and upload at the highest possibleive got a couple of things downloading, but nothing uploadingthe download speeds always seem to be at roughly these speeds - never goes above 50kb

What torrent client are you using

i find that utorrent 1.6 i think works very well

Original Poster

bit torrent version 5.0.9

whats the ratio of seeders to leechers?, it will tell you on the page you are downloading from

Hope ur not downloading anything illegally :P

donbreach;1709667

Hope ur not downloading anything illegally :P

Of course not i download paclets of data from sites just to get the best out of paying for 20 meg broadband

Have you opened your ports? [url]www.portforward.com[/url]

imortal;1709731

Of course not i download paclets of data from sites just to get the best … Of course not i download paclets of data from sites just to get the best out of paying for 20 meg broadband

:P

remember as well that its proprtional on some software (upload to download) try lowering your upload speed a bit see if that helps, it does with bitlord

Original Poster

birdyboyuk;1709773

Have you opened your ports? [url]www.portforward.com[/url]

Just done that - was a bit complicated - hope i havnt made any mistakes cos im not sure i could fix them:oops:

roryk83;1709987

Just done that - was a bit complicated - hope i havnt made any mistakes … Just done that - was a bit complicated - hope i havnt made any mistakes cos im not sure i could fix them:oops:

i feel like that most times i need to do something complicated on it. if i really knew what i was doing, i think knowing how it would urn out would somehow take away the surprise of whether it worked or not :oops:

Banned

1. Use utorrent rather than bittorrent.

2. Check your ports are forwarding - portforward.com/

3. Stop all torrents and test your upload speed here speedtest.net/ and then set maximum upload speed to about 90% of this figure

Banned

kyalion;1710001

i feel like that most times i need to do something complicated on it. if … i feel like that most times i need to do something complicated on it. if i really knew what i was doing, i think knowing how it would urn out would somehow take away the surprise of whether it worked or not :oops:

Check if port forwarding is working here (put the port you are using for torrents in where currently '80' is shown)

yougetsignal.com/too…ts/
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424814504
      2. One for the mathmaticians2847
      3. One thing you've forgotten55
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767462

See more discussions