Groups

Help with external hard drive

My 120gb external hard drive has been acting funky on me lately and i dont understand why.

When downloading files onto it the drive will start making a clicking and straining sound after a bit. Then when i try move the files onto another drive i am unable to do so and the drive crashes. The drive hasnt always done this and it used to work perfectly, its not that old either. I formatted it the other day and have checked it for errors and nothing came up.

Any ideas?

8 Comments

burnt out probably.

Dying?

I've had a drive do the clicking and straining sounds thing. A tech head from, WD I think, said it was the head seek spring on the way out and back it up and dump it as soon as possible.

[FONT=Verdana]Agree with the previous post - it does sound the hard disk is starting to physically fail and would recommend getting a replacement ASAP.

The problem will be whether you can get the data off - dependent on how valuable it is to you (personal or business related) you may want to consider putting it in for data recovery but it will unfortunately costs a lot (I've done this a few times for clients & you do get mixed results as well).

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:
    [/FONT]

Original Poster

Well i managed to get most things off of it before i formatted the drive i just had to delete a few invaluable things that refused to move. Looks like i need to search for a new drive.

Thanks to all that Helped (Y)

ainsleyb;6546988

Well i managed to get most things off of it before i formatted the drive … Well i managed to get most things off of it before i formatted the drive i just had to delete a few invaluable things that refused to move. Looks like i need to search for a new drive.Thanks to all that Helped (Y)

[FONT=Verdana]There are a number of deals for external USB hard disks listed just now if that helps.

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Is it a 2.5" drive powered from the Usb ?

What type of error checking have you done? I'd make sure you're doing a full physical scan of the disk as some of the basic error checks aren't that useful.

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Find out how good your GP surgery is11
      2. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio710
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764220
      4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1625

See more discussions