Help with faulty camera purchased from John Lewis

Found 17th Sep 2012
Hello all

Not too sure how to go about this. I purchased a Canon PowerShot SX220 HS digital camera from John Lewis Online in April of this year. The camera has become faulty in that it gives a Lens error when it is turned on and doesn't work.

As it is less than 6 months not to sure what to do, do I return to John Lewis or Canon. If John Lewis should I go to a store or send it to them via Special Delivery.

Many thanks
Community Updates
15 Comments
Banned
Who is John Lewish?
sherg

Who is John Lewish?

They sell "Canon PoweShot" cameras! X)
Banned
sherg

Who is John Lewish?

is it rhyming slang for 'Jewish'?
I've returned items to John Lewis before and I've always found their customer service to be brilliant.
I confidently recommend getting in touch with JL (try this number; 0800 188881 just ask for JL, or 01236 634681 c.s.).
Edited by: "tryn2help" 17th Sep 2012
Just go into a store with your receiptand they will probably give you another there and then.

If John Lewis should I go to a store or send it to them via Special … If John Lewis should I go to a store or send it to them via Special Delivery.

And give them the opportunity to say it could have broke in the post.

Great idea.
JL will normally replace, but this error is due to the lens being forced back in, or not allowed to come out.

A little plastic gear looses its teeth on the cog.

A less good company would send you packing as damaged.
'Lens error' is an extremely common problem with Canon cameras now (and has been for a number of years) - just google it and you will see thousands of cases. I very much doubt that ALL of these were caused by user error. It's the main reason that I have ruled out Canon for future camera purchases, for now.

To resolve your problem, John Lewis customer services are generally fantastic. The main reason I try to buy most major purchases from them. If you tell them that you have lost confidence in Canon cameras, they may well offer you a full refund or an alternative brand.
Over The Knee

'Lens error' is an extremely common problem with Canon cameras now (and … 'Lens error' is an extremely common problem with Canon cameras now (and has been for a number of years) - just google it and you will see thousands of cases. I very much doubt that ALL of these were caused by user error. It's the main reason that I have ruled out Canon for future camera purchases, for now.[...]

It's not an issue exclusive to Canon (although maybe more common for them); I had "lens error" on my Panasonic FZ38 - they tried to suggest I'd damaged it myself; I pushed back and they agreed to repair.

OP: I very much doubt you'll get trouble from JL; but as you're inside 6 months the retailer has to prove that a fault wasn't inherent - you don't need to prove you didn't damage the camera.
Edited by: "wombat6025" 18th Sep 2012
Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's inight so far.

I've just come back from a John Lewis store and it wasn't the result as expected.

I mentioned to the tech support person "Lens error" he said that it was a common problem with most digital cameras. He asked with I dropped it I said no. He said I have two options, he could send off for a repair or could refund me money less £30.

I said, it's unfair I should lose out, I wanted a replacement, I talked about the Sales of Goods Act. He then went and spoke to the manager. He came back and said I could choose a camera as a replacement.

Again he changed he mind and then suggested the camera had dropped and was damaged. At this point I asked to speak to the manager. The manager also suggested that it was damaged and said it would cost them money but they could said it to Canon for inspection but the warranty would definitely be void due to the damage.

They also suggested that I should get an independent report. I just want a camera not to incur more charges! I'm going on holida next week and that's the issue, I don't have a camera.

I would now like to address this with head office. Is there an email for the cheif executive...

Thanks
thunderb0lt

Thanks for everyone's inight so far.I've just come back from a John Lewis … Thanks for everyone's inight so far.I've just come back from a John Lewis store and it wasn't the result as expected.I mentioned to the tech support person "Lens error" he said that it was a common problem with most digital cameras. He asked with I dropped it I said no. He said I have two options, he could send off for a repair or could refund me money less £30.I said, it's unfair I should lose out, I wanted a replacement, I talked about the Sales of Goods Act. He then went and spoke to the manager. He came back and said I could choose a camera as a replacement.Again he changed he mind and then suggested the camera had dropped and was damaged. At this point I asked to speak to the manager. The manager also suggested that it was damaged and said it would cost them money but they could said it to Canon for inspection but the warranty would definitely be void due to the damage.They also suggested that I should get an independent report. I just want a camera not to incur more charges! I'm going on holida next week and that's the issue, I don't have a camera.I would now like to address this with head office. Is there an email for the cheif executive...Thanks

So much for our high expectations from JL; it seems they're just the same b*****ds as everyone else - they know you need a working camera and can't wait for the repair so give you a BS option that means they are effectively calling you a liar.

Did they say it would be repaired for free even if it had been "dropped" - I can imagine them claiming it had been dropped and asking you to pay for repairs.

If you try and force the sale of goods act they may say they need to send it away for an engineers report which of course you can't wait for.

If you did take the £30 hit I guess you could write laying it on thick about how you felt black-mailed by the store staff into taking the £30 charge and how upset you are at having been called a liar; you might get some recompense...

I just thought - did you buy it in the deal with £30 Canon cashback (£139 after cashback)? That might explain why they're knocking off £30 from the refund - i.e. they only refund you £139 and not the £169 you paid?

You can get the SX220 from Jessops; the grey is £149.95 delivered or in store while there are some purple in store at £129.95. There may be other deals around too.
First time I have ever heard of this type of behaviour from John Lewis.
Truly shocked.
I'm guessing - and really hoping - that the people you spoke with are fairly new to JL and most probably worked with a much lesser company, and they are simply employing the insulting behaviour learned at said lesser company.
In your present position I would definitely take this matter up with head office.
P.S. Please let us know what line head office takes.
Original Poster
Thanks for your insight Wombat. I did get the Canon cashback but JL wouldn't have known about this as it is direct with Canon.
Anyway, I'm going away. I won't have a camera but that's life I suppose.

I will definitely write to head office just to give them the heads up about the service that I received.

@tryn2help: I will write to them and will update this thread.
I don't really understand what you want JL to do.

The fault is common to the gears wearing as it is forced, either from opening, or closing.

JL will sent it to canon and they will return it unrepairable as damaged.

Why should John Lewis lose out over this??
Chiptivo

I don't really understand what you want JL to do.The fault is common to … I don't really understand what you want JL to do.The fault is common to the gears wearing as it is forced, either from opening, or closing.JL will sent it to canon and they will return it unrepairable as damaged.Why should John Lewis lose out over this??

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here.
- It is unacceptable for the lens mechanism to wear out in less than six months.
- OP says he did not drop or force the camera.
Is it impossible for the mechanism to fail unless OP is mistaken and has in fact caused the damage himself?

As an aside I has a similar experience with my FZ38 - in this case I had 3-5 times started the camera with the lens cap on and that may have strained the mechanism causing it to fail early - I was amazed that a £300+ camera didn't have a sensor to prevent any chance of damage. Fortunately Panasonic repaired without charging.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants