Help with fitting outside tap please.

Found 1st Jul
Hello I’m wanting to fit a out side tap and I’m unsure if a can replace the brass fitting in the picture with the silver fitting in the link. The picture is the cold water pipe under sink which feeds kitchen tap. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

2973305-5AKru.jpg

amazon.co.uk/dp/…007

Community Updates
AskTap
14 Comments
The brass fitting in the picture is a 15mm compression fitting.

Loosening the top nut to remove the fitting will reveal an olive 'compressed' onto the pipe stub (you will not be able to remove the nut from the stub because of this olive) - the olive and nut can then be used to connect to any other 15mm compression fitting.
The 15mm tee valve should be able to replace the 15mm coupler. You just won't need to use the nut and olive supplied with the tee valve but use what is there.

Also, I'm sure from when I fitted my outside that a double check valve is needed on the inside. Suppose there is one built into the tap though.
Not sure the end you are pointing at on the flex is a compression fitting although you can buy flex hose cheap with 15mm compression on the end. Possibly it's a tap connector on the one in picture? Maybe... Edit... Yeah ½ inch tap connector not 15mm compression
Edited by: "wayners" 1st Jul
So the kit in the link is no good? What do I need to get it sorted please?
I disagree with Wayners - I believe it is a 15mm straight compression fitting - which you will be able to remove and replace with the Tee valve in the kit - this will give you the new supply to the outside tap.

I believe the kit will do what you want.

There are other ways to do it - this kit screwfix.com/p/o…139 will "cut" into a straight length of 15mm pipe if you have a section near - but this is likely to give you a lower flowrate than the Amazon kit.
34205717.jpg

Better picture
Edited by: "rollercoaster63" 1st Jul
Yes you can but go right back rigid copper not the flex. Use pipe clips and do a neat job some soldering maybe involved.
Edited by: "ssc1" 1st Jul
ssc115 m ago

Yes you can but go right back rigid copper not the flex. Use pipe clips …Yes you can but go right back rigid copper not the flex. Use pipe clips and do a neat job some soldering maybe involved.

I was hoping the valve in the link would replace the brass part in the picture.
rollercoaster6318 m ago

I was hoping the valve in the link would replace the brass part in the …I was hoping the valve in the link would replace the brass part in the picture.

It will. May need to spring the pipes apart a little but it will fit.
rollercoaster6341 m ago

I was hoping the valve in the link would replace the brass part in the …I was hoping the valve in the link would replace the brass part in the picture.

Yes the male part of the new flex will go at the brass fitting on your pic. But you can just get the long pipe 1/2 inch fitting combo on its own and do a rigid job.
I don’t know how to solder pipes and just want to be able to replace the brass fitting with the valve in the link to still have the kitchen tap and outside tap working. I don’t understand rigid job. Thanks
rollercoaster637 m ago

I don’t know how to solder pipes and just want to be able to replace the b …I don’t know how to solder pipes and just want to be able to replace the brass fitting with the valve in the link to still have the kitchen tap and outside tap working. I don’t understand rigid job. Thanks

simple answer is yes the kit will work, dont worry about soldering there is no need just use compression fittings, the one in the kit the T shaped with the on off valve will replace the brass fitting as you mentioned.
Van197312 h, 59 m ago

I disagree with Wayners - I believe it is a 15mm straight compression …I disagree with Wayners - I believe it is a 15mm straight compression fitting - which you will be able to remove and replace with the Tee valve in the kit - this will give you the new supply to the outside tap.I believe the kit will do what you want.There are other ways to do it - this kit https://www.screwfix.com/p/outside-tap-kit-15mm-x/33139 will "cut" into a straight length of 15mm pipe if you have a section near - but this is likely to give you a lower flowrate than the Amazon kit.

It's dose say in description 1 x 300mm 1/2BSP to 15mm Push Fit flexi connector. So that's a tap connector
rollercoaster633 h, 12 m ago

I don’t know how to solder pipes and just want to be able to replace the b …I don’t know how to solder pipes and just want to be able to replace the brass fitting with the valve in the link to still have the kitchen tap and outside tap working. I don’t understand rigid job. Thanks

Just watch a couple of youtube videos on how to do a compression joint - no need for any ptfe tape or any paste on the olive like some of them suggest. Just hand tighten the nuts then put about half a turn on using a spanner. Then pressurise with water - if one of the joints leaks a little keep putting half a turn on till it stop leaking.

It's all reasonably straight forward - just need an adjustable spanner!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions