Found 16th Jan
Hi, I wonder if someone could help me please? I have downloaded a form and need to tick boxes. I can't get the ticks in the boxes. I've got the cursor in the box, clicked on insert, symbol and then the tick but it appears to the side of the box and doesn't look clear which one it relates to. Is there any way of getting the tick actually in the box? Thanks for any help (It is in word format)

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
29 Comments

Why not use a x instead.

Original Poster

rhinopaul

Why not use a x instead.

I can't get any symbol to insert into the box. I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if you are just unable to enter symbols in there.

Hi there, print it out and post it by hand? Failing that do the best you can and mention when you send the form the issues you had, they will more than likely have encountered this before.

Original Poster

LoRdPlOps111

Hi there, print it out and post it by hand? Failing that do the best you … Hi there, print it out and post it by hand? Failing that do the best you can and mention when you send the form the issues you had, they will more than likely have encountered this before.

Thanks, it's a job application so I wanted it to look neat and tidy. It can only be e-mailed, so I guess I'll have to just highlight my answers. Thanks for your response.
Edited by: "shywallflower" 16th Jan

usually if there is already a form field on a pdf a simple click on the mouse should work otherwise look at the commenting tools for a pencil or check mark stamp, assuming its a PDF.

have you enabled editing on the form you downloaded? if not then it wont let you make changes. its normally prompts you to enable when first opening ms word

it may be that form is protected. check toolbars tab to see if padlock is dimmed.

Original Poster

discozohan

have you enabled editing on the form you downloaded? if not then it wont … have you enabled editing on the form you downloaded? if not then it wont let you make changes. its normally prompts you to enable when first opening ms word

Yes, I've done that, I have filled in everything else, just can't get the damn symbols in the boxes, they just end up either side of the box and with the other option boxes being side by side, it looks unclear on my answer. Thanks

Original Poster

IWOOTN

it may be that form is protected. check toolbars tab to see if padlock … it may be that form is protected. check toolbars tab to see if padlock is dimmed.

Thanks, I have enabled editing and entered everything else. Just these tick boxes. Thanks

most likely it's not what you are doing wrong. it will be the formatting of the word document you have downloaded. you will find sometimes the formatting is not that great and people have difficulty selecting the options they want. as it has to be emailed as mention earlier LoRdPlOps111 fill the former best way you can and highlite the issues you come across.

Op your assuming the person who created the document made it so you could put a tick or a x in it, so many forms I have filled in simply don't allow you to do it so you may be better printing it, filing it in then scanning it back as a jpeg or pdf.

Original Poster

rhinopaul

usually if there is already a form field on a pdf a simple click on the … usually if there is already a form field on a pdf a simple click on the mouse should work otherwise look at the commenting tools for a pencil or check mark stamp, assuming its a PDF.

Thanks, I'm clicking on the box, inserting a symbol and it is just going to the side of the box and not in the box.

Are the boxes drawn on with the shape tool or actual proper input script boxes? In old versions of word you used to be able to select the outline of the box so highlighted, right click and go to properties where it would say checker or unchecked on one of the options

If you are able to delete the actual box, try reinsert a new box or just put an X by the answer with the box deleted.

Try a different browser .

Original Poster

philmitchell

Try a different browser .

Thanks, I'll give it a go. (ps how's Grant?) Sorry, I couldn't resist that one!:D

Original Poster

imranakram12

most likely it's not what you are doing wrong. it will be the formatting … most likely it's not what you are doing wrong. it will be the formatting of the word document you have downloaded. you will find sometimes the formatting is not that great and people have difficulty selecting the options they want. as it has to be emailed as mention earlier LoRdPlOps111 fill the former best way you can and highlite the issues you come across.

Thank you, I will do.

have you tried right click may give you an option to insert symbol

can't you print it out and then fill the former in and then scan it and send it in an email x

From my experience, you have two options:

Lock the document for editing, and you should be able to check / uncheck it normally.
Right-click it, and change its Default Value to 'Checked'.

i'm guessing this is a word document which is a line processor, the box itself is symbol and with word being "line" based you cannot put one symbol on top of another, the box is also a symbol.
Replace the box with a tick or x and use formatting to put lines round the symbol.

Original Poster

discozohan

have you tried right click may give you an option to insert symbol

Yes tried that, thanks

Original Poster

pink777

can't you print it out and then fill the former in and then scan it and … can't you print it out and then fill the former in and then scan it and send it in an email x

I can, I just wondered if there was an easier option, thanks

Original Poster

Quietus

From my experience, you have two options:Lock the document for editing, … From my experience, you have two options:Lock the document for editing, and you should be able to check / uncheck it normally.Right-click it, and change its Default Value to 'Checked'.

Thanks for the info

Original Poster

Quietus

From my experience, you have two options:Lock the document for editing, … From my experience, you have two options:Lock the document for editing, and you should be able to check / uncheck it normally.Right-click it, and change its Default Value to 'Checked'.

Thanks for the info
maddogb

i'm guessing this is a word document which is a line processor, the box … i'm guessing this is a word document which is a line processor, the box itself is symbol and with word being "line" based you cannot put one symbol on top of another, the box is also a symbol.Replace the box with a tick or x and use formatting to put lines round the symbol.

Makes sense, thanks

It probably should be opened as a pdf form, if its meant to be filled in that way
Edited by: "HyperTurtle" 16th Jan

Original Poster

HyperTurtle

It probably should be opened as a pdf form

Thanks, is that something I've done wrong then? . I've downloaded it from their website and saved it.
Edited by: "shywallflower" 16th Jan

shywallflower

Thanks, is that something I've done wrong then? . I've downloaded it from … Thanks, is that something I've done wrong then? . I've downloaded it from their website and saved it.

Hard to say without seeing the site, but typically forms would be in pdf format especially as .docs aren't really ideal for people with macs. Obviously this depends on if the employer [or whoever they got to upload it] knew this.

Perhaps they expect you to print it, fill it in and scan it. Otherwise - I'd just replace the symbol used

Original Poster

HyperTurtle

Hard to say without seeing the site, but typically forms would be in pdf … Hard to say without seeing the site, but typically forms would be in pdf format especially as .docs aren't really ideal for people with macs. Obviously this depends on if the employer [or whoever they got to upload it] knew this. Perhaps they expect you to print it, fill it in and scan it. Otherwise - I'd just replace the symbol used

Thank you so much, it looks like the best option is to replace the box with the tick as suggested. Thanks again
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I just found out that I have been paying £65 p/m to sky for tv/broadband/la…89
    2. Google maps on Plusnet46
    3. GoPro Hero 5 Black33
    4. spam regarding paypal33

See more discussions