Help with Freeview Please

Found 6th Aug 2017
Hoping someone can give me some advice. Moving to a new place with no Sky dish - I have a dish with an old Sky box and only view the free channels. All I want is to watch freeview channels. I can get a new dish for 95pound and take my old box and view that way or am thinking of buying a freeview box like NOW Smart Box from John Lewis for 35pounds also has freeview and sky cinema pass. However it states you can see 60 channels (Freeview has over 200??) and I know I need an aerial but I also read somewhere if a problem with NOW TV the freeview doesnt work?

Any advice please?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Would be very surprised if the new place doesn't have an aerial socket somewhere . Can you not check beforehand ? If it does then you are good to go with Freeview direct to your TV and you can bin your old Sky box.

Upgrading to a Smart TV would give you access to Now TV, Netflix, Amazon and all the "players" assuming your internet will be fast enough (5-6Mb is ok) too.
Yes I think there is an aerial will check tomorrow - but doesnt my tv have to have inbuilt freesat (not sure about that one!!) to access? If it doesnt the Now Smart Box gets me 4 month sky cinema then I cancel and still watch freeview right?
Your TV needs built-in Freeview, not Freesat to connect to the aerial socket (the single round cable). Unless it's really old it should have that facility and you won't need another box but you can still buy one for the extras if you want.
Excellent thanks tallpete
If your TV doen't have Freeveiw built in then its unlikely to have an HDMI in, which is what the NowTV Smart Box needs.

You dont need any Passes to use the NowTV Smart Box for Freeview its Free out of the box as is most of the non Sky stuff/Apps. Passes are only for the Sky content.
Edited by: "zirk" 6th Aug 2017
Thanks Zirk, To be honest was being a bit thick am sure my TV has freeview so never thought about sticking aerial in there (at the moment just using the Sky box for free). And no other tech boffins in my family mentioned to me either!
This is an old "chestnut" of confusion. The two formats you mention are totally different in broadcast method. It is as follows:

"Freeview" - Terrestrial 'digital' television sent via ground based transmitters to a TV with built-in Freeview receiver or Freeview box connected to a TV.

"Freesat" - Satellite 'digital' television sent via orbital satellite to a dish that's connected to a TV with built-in Freesat or a Freesat receiver.

"Freesat from Sky" - Satellite 'digital' television (as above) but has a few more channels and requires a card (available from Sky) but is a one off payment, as opposed to their monthly subscription packages. This may not be a 'thing' anymore though - it's been a while since I've checked!

A non-Sky Freesat receiver (such as a Humax) requires no card at all to receive Freesat broadcast channels.If using an old Sky box, this can also be used WITHOUT a card but would lose regional programming should a retune be required. The decryption card contains your postcode etc for regional allocation.

Your choices are thus:

New dish (can be purchased very cheaply from the like of eBay £15-20) and not too difficult to install if you are fairly technology-minded. Then you can use your old box/card and you're good to go.

TV aerial and a TV with built-in Freeview receiver. If TV is old and doesn't have the capability, a Freeview box again can be purchased for mere chump change (£5-10) or just about every charity shop you go in has one these days!!! Aerial into box - box into TV and once again, you're set.

NowTV box is an option, yes, but still requires an aerial for terrestrial channel broadcasts as well as internet connection for movies/catch up/online services etc.

Just remember - not ALL channels are available on any one platform. To get all, you need all...

Best regards, Phsy.
Thanks Phsy. I am used to my old Sky dish and think Sky dont really do the one off anymore (and charge an arm and a leg if they do!) Will stick to the freeview inbuilt in TV.
Do you have a laptop/PC or tablet ? connect it to your TV and watch all freeview channels @ tvcatchup.com/
Phsycronix13 h, 44 m ago

This is an old "chestnut" of confusion. The two formats you mention are …This is an old "chestnut" of confusion. The two formats you mention are totally different in broadcast method. It is as follows:"Freeview" - Terrestrial 'digital' television sent via ground based transmitters to a TV with built-in Freeview receiver or Freeview box connected to a TV."Freesat" - Satellite 'digital' television sent via orbital satellite to a dish that's connected to a TV with built-in Freesat or a Freesat receiver."Freesat from Sky" - Satellite 'digital' television (as above) but has a few more channels and requires a card (available from Sky) but is a one off payment, as opposed to their monthly subscription packages. This may not be a 'thing' anymore though - it's been a while since I've checked!A non-Sky Freesat receiver (such as a Humax) requires no card at all to receive Freesat broadcast channels.If using an old Sky box, this can also be used WITHOUT a card but would lose regional programming should a retune be required. The decryption card contains your postcode etc for regional allocation.Your choices are thus:New dish (can be purchased very cheaply from the like of eBay £15-20) and not too difficult to install if you are fairly technology-minded. Then you can use your old box/card and you're good to go.TV aerial and a TV with built-in Freeview receiver. If TV is old and doesn't have the capability, a Freeview box again can be purchased for mere chump change (£5-10) or just about every charity shop you go in has one these days!!! Aerial into box - box into TV and once again, you're set.NowTV box is an option, yes, but still requires an aerial for terrestrial channel broadcasts as well as internet connection for movies/catch up/online services etc.Just remember - not ALL channels are available on any one platform. To get all, you need all...Best regards, Phsy.

How are you pronouncing 'Phsy'?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants