Groups

Help with getting a job

Basically, i have been looking for a job and most of the sites are jobs aimed at Adults, anybody aware of any sites that show jobs available to 13-14 year olds?!

52 Comments

Supermod

What about a paper-round?

Original Poster

None round my area.

have you tried your local shops that have advertisements in the windows or stick up a wanted ad.

Wash my car if you want

Original Poster

richp

have you tried your local shops that have advertisements in the windows … have you tried your local shops that have advertisements in the windows or stick up a wanted ad.

Yeah, they don't need anybody at the moment

Original Poster

Chidda

Wash my car if you want

i have NEVER washed a car -.-

stay away from work for as long as you can.

ask local builders or someone doing up a house near you?

Original Poster

sharkalos

Why's that?, i figured if i start now, it'd look better on my CV and make me think more about what i do and how i mange my money?

You posted a thread about this last night.

The reason no websites feature jobs for your age group is because there are significant restrictions on the hours and type of work you can do.

You will need to try the suggestions from the previous thread.

Supermod

sharkalos

Not quite the advice to give someone actually wanting/willing to work...

leemole101

I should imagine the insane health and safety laws now in place make that a no no

leemole101

He's like 14 - he won't physically be able to do the tasks in that work environment. If he got injured, the employer would get hammered by the HSE.

barky

I should imagine the insane health and safety laws now in place make that … I should imagine the insane health and safety laws now in place make that a no no

You mean like the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974?

Didn't you do this a few days ago?

yeah unfortunatly the OP is not in a good position as regards to age, when i was a nipper, things weren't so fickle, we even used to help the milk-man on his round, sitting on the back of his float.

Original Poster

sancho1983

Didn't you do this a few days ago?

Wasn't me.

moob

You mean like the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974?

hasnt there been heavey revisions since? it seems only lately that all the ridiculous directives for schools etc have been enforced.

ive got an interview on wednesday at a nightclub, i will be a barman if i get it

just thought i share

that0nehurts

Wasn't me.

Ok, I take it back. Too many 14 year olds on here

micoo

ive got an interview on wednesday at a nightclub, i will be a barman if i … ive got an interview on wednesday at a nightclub, i will be a barman if i get itjust thought i share

guess no woman will be safe in that club then-seriously,good luck with the interview

barky

guess no woman will be safe in that club then-seriously,good luck with … guess no woman will be safe in that club then-seriously,good luck with the interview

ty, im treating it as an opportunity to try and meet your niece

barky

hasnt there been heavey revisions since? it seems only lately that all … hasnt there been heavey revisions since? it seems only lately that all the ridiculous directives for schools etc have been enforced.

This is the Act of Parliament that all Regulations are made thereunder. The Regs obviously change from time to time, but there haven't been any major alterations to the general provisions of the 1974 Act, with specific reference to Sections 2 and 3.

The issue these days is that so many people are into litigation, so rules are stricter to demonstrate a duty of care.

Best trying small local firms. As bigger companies won't bother with under 16s from experience. Know where I work stopped offering work experience places due to increased rules. Local cafe/corner shop best bets go in always makes better impression

barky

hasnt there been heavey revisions since? it seems only lately that all … hasnt there been heavey revisions since? it seems only lately that all the ridiculous directives for schools etc have been enforced.

it still happens tho, when i was 14 i worked in a quarry collecting rockery lol. £20 per day for 12+ hours, it taught me the meaning of hard work
    Edited by: "leemole101" 20th Sep 2010

Original Poster

Marty1981

Best trying small local firms. As bigger companies won't bother with … Best trying small local firms. As bigger companies won't bother with under 16s from experience. Know where I work stopped offering work experience places due to increased rules. Local cafe/corner shop best bets go in always makes better impression

Yeah i was thinking of cafe aswell, but surely i can't just walk in and ask for a job?/

that0nehurts

Yeah i was thinking of cafe aswell, but surely i can't just walk in and … Yeah i was thinking of cafe aswell, but surely i can't just walk in and ask for a job?/

why not? be polite and positive and you never know

Banned

Market stall helper after the market has finished.

Loading van's etc...

Original Poster

bitseylango

why not? be polite and positive and you never know

..... I'll try that, but i'll phone them before i go in lol.

any oaps your family may know need help with the garden etc ? you could get a little round of different people

Original Poster

leemole101

any oaps your family may know need help with the garden etc ? you could … any oaps your family may know need help with the garden etc ? you could get a little round of different people

My family lives in England, it's only me and my mum that live in Wales so that wouldn't work.

Cafe is a good idea, I worked in a couple at your age

Original Poster

sancho1983

Cafe is a good idea, I worked in a couple at your age

Really? any Tips/Advice?

Rep left to all that are helping or given advice/tips so far

Choose retail on your work experience, then if you work hard and show initiative you may get a job out of it. I did worked in retail at 14 on a zero contract ( meaning 0 hrs contracted but could work up to 16 a week) it helped me financially through colleage too. gave it up when i was 18.

Maybe try a local newsagents ? my first 'saturday' job at 14 was working in a newsagents, then again that was a good few years back !

Best off walking in and asking as at the end of the day working in cafe/shop you will be dealing with strangers will show them you have some confidence

Original Poster

Marty1981

Best off walking in and asking as at the end of the day working in … Best off walking in and asking as at the end of the day working in cafe/shop you will be dealing with strangers will show them you have some confidence

So this would be a good way to increase my confidence?

that0nehurts

Really? any Tips/Advice?Rep left to all that are helping or given … Really? any Tips/Advice?Rep left to all that are helping or given advice/tips so far

err-you cant leave rep anymore,so would be interested to know how you did that lol

Original Poster

barky

err-you cant leave rep anymore,so would be interested to know how you did … err-you cant leave rep anymore,so would be interested to know how you did that lol

"Liking" the comments:3
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …270932
      2. Best advert ever to be seen.1719
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523459
      4. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831735

See more discussions