Found 24th Dec 2009
I'm looking to purchase a graphics card, maybe just to play Team Fortress 2, Crysis or Call of Duty but i dont know which one to get. I am not a hardcore gamer, but i do enjoy alot of video editing and dvd burning from my HD Camcorder.

I currently have a Quad Core Q8400, 4GB DDR2 ram and an integrated intel graphics card. So i have bought this to replace the built in one. Can anyone tell me if this is a good card for what i need it for? I dont want to spend too much, but at the same time need something fast to help speed up converting and editing videos.
ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB DDR2 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card from Ebuyer for £53 . P.S. How do i know if my power supply will be able to handle it? and do i need to connect any cables when i insert the card onto the motherboard? It's been a while since i built a pc so i have lost my touch! Thanks

16 Comments

Original Poster

dcx_badass;7322050

The 220 is very low range, ignore the memory, 1GB on a crap card won't … The 220 is very low range, ignore the memory, 1GB on a crap card won't make a difference. Also it won't make a diff in video editing anyway as that uses the CPU/RAM/HDDs.

Can you suggest something for around £50 that i can run at least TF2/Call of Duty on it without any problems? something by ATI or NVIDIA

Original Poster

dcx_badass;7322087

Nvidia 8800GT 512mb, costs about £40 to £45 used, that's what I got last m … Nvidia 8800GT 512mb, costs about £40 to £45 used, that's what I got last month, runs thme fine, I play CoD MW2 all on full at 1920*1080 with no problems.

Ok great, i think i'll return the ASUS one then. Thanks for your advice! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

dcx_badass;7322087

Nvidia 8800GT 512mb, costs about £40 to £45 used, that's what I got last m … Nvidia 8800GT 512mb, costs about £40 to £45 used, that's what I got last month, runs thme fine, I play CoD MW2 all on full at 1920*1080 with no problems.Runs TF2 fine aswell.

Sorry quick question, it says the graphics card is DDR3? if my ram is DDR2, will this still work?

Power Supply Calculator
Sorry can't help more but that is quite a good site for working out what PSU would suit

A nice selection here to compare price with ( Aria )

aria.co.uk/Pro…SY=

Original Poster

boydent999;7322128

Power Supply CalculatorSorry can't help more but that is quite a good … Power Supply CalculatorSorry can't help more but that is quite a good site for working out what PSU would suit

cheers, will look it up

You may not be a hardcore gamer but if you're playing games like Crysis or Call of Duty:MW2 then you are part of the prime market for graphics cards - more niche 'hardcore' games tend to be lighter on the requirements as they have less budget and reuse old technology more.

If you don't want to go second hand then I'd spend a little more on something like a Radeon 4850 or 4770, which you should be able to find for around £70-75, as the new cards at £50 are poor value for money.

As for your power supply, you first need to find out how much power it provides. The label on the side should give you the various details like +3.3v, 2A, +5V, 2A, +12V 18A. The important ones are the figure under for all +12v entries, you may have one or several (+12v1, +12v2, +12v3 etc.). Overall rating of the power supply is an indicator, but can vary a lot.

You also need to check whether you've got a PCI-E ]6pin connector (or a ]6+2 pin connector). An 8 pin connector may work as well, but that's dependant on the specific card.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;7322227

You may not be a hardcore gamer but if you're playing games like Crysis … You may not be a hardcore gamer but if you're playing games like Crysis or Call of Duty:MW2 then you are part of the prime market for graphics cards - more niche 'hardcore' games tend to be lighter on the requirements as they have less budget and reuse old technology more.If you don't want to go second hand then I'd spend a little more on something like a Radeon 4850 or 4770, which you should be able to find for around £70-75, as the new cards at £50 are poor value for money. As for your power supply, you first need to find out how much power it provides. The label on the side should give you the various details like +3.3v, 2A, +5V, 2A, +12V 18A. The important ones are the figure under for all +12v entries, you may have one or several (+12v1, +12v2, +12v3 etc.). Overall rating of the power supply is an indicator, but can vary a lot.You also need to check whether you've got a PCI-E ]6pin connector (or a ]6+2 pin connector). An 8 pin connector may work as well, but that's dependant on the specific card.

Oh god, is there any way i can make this easier on me? What if i told you it's a Zoostorm pc? lol is there any info i can tell you where you would be able to determine what graphics my pc would be able to run? I just bought this a few days ago, its a foxcomm/foxconn mainboard i believe?

punji;7322345

Oh god, is there any way i can make this easier on me? What if i told you … Oh god, is there any way i can make this easier on me? What if i told you it's a Zoostorm pc? lol is there any info i can tell you where you would be able to determine what graphics my pc would be able to run? I just bought this a few days ago, its a foxcomm/foxconn mainboard i believe?

It's simple, take the side off your PC, look at the label on the big block in the left hand corner and see what it says under the part that says +12V. I forget what the recommended rating for the 8800GT/4850 is (20A?) but if it's higher than that you'll have no problems.

As for the connector, just take the side out and find the connectors that aren't connected to anything, they'll only be half a dozen of a few different types and only one of them will have six pins like the one in the picture.

One other way you could do it is find the make and model of your power supply (It'll be on the label along with the power it supplies) and then look it up on the internet, you may be able to find a nice website with all it's connectors and power ratings neatly specified.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;7322434

It's simple, take the side off your PC, look at the label on the big … It's simple, take the side off your PC, look at the label on the big block in the left hand corner and see what it says under the part that says +12V. I forget what the recommended rating for the 8800GT/4850 is (20A?) but if it's higher than that you'll have no problems.As for the connector, just take the side out and find the connectors that aren't connected to anything, they'll only be half a dozen of a few different types and only one of them will have six pins like the one in the picture.One other way you could do it is find the make and model of your power supply (It'll be on the label along with the power it supplies) and then look it up on the internet, you may be able to find a nice website with all it's connectors and power ratings neatly specified.

Okay, thanks, i'll open up the side panel tonight and have a check! Thanks for the info.. will post something later with my findings.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;7322434

It's simple, take the side off your PC, look at the label on the big … It's simple, take the side off your PC, look at the label on the big block in the left hand corner and see what it says under the part that says +12V. I forget what the recommended rating for the 8800GT/4850 is (20A?) but if it's higher than that you'll have no problems.As for the connector, just take the side out and find the connectors that aren't connected to anything, they'll only be half a dozen of a few different types and only one of them will have six pins like the one in the picture.One other way you could do it is find the make and model of your power supply (It'll be on the label along with the power it supplies) and then look it up on the internet, you may be able to find a nice website with all it's connectors and power ratings neatly specified.

+5v
+3.3v
+12v1
+12v2
-12v
-5sb

255W MAX

The only spare connector i found was a cable that is connected to the dvdrw, which has 4x pins and another little black plug thing

There is also a long yellow card bus which is empty and a very small yellow slot, Is this AGP? or PCI-E???
and another 2 empty white slots? is that PCI?

If i cant use the 8800GT with my system, which is the highest one i can use?

punji;7323804

+5v+3.3v+12v1+12v2-12v-5sb255W MAX

Those are just the types of power it provides (rails or lines), the numbers in Amperes (A) underneath are the actual power ratings (and you need to say which corresponds to which rail).

As you've got +12v1 and +12v2 I'd say you're good to go if each of those are 12A or more.

punji;7323804

The only spare connector i found was a cable that is connected to the … The only spare connector i found was a cable that is connected to the dvdrw, which has 4x pins and another little black plug thing

The little black plug might be it, the 4-pin one (was it white?) sounds like the general purpose 'molex' connector.

punji;7323804

There is also a long yellow card bus which is empty and a very small … There is also a long yellow card bus which is empty and a very small yellow slot, Is this AGP? or PCI-E???and another 2 empty white slots? is that PCI?If i cant use the 8800GT with my system, which is the highest one i can use?

AGP stopped being included in new systems several years ago, anything with a Q8400 is almost certainly PCI-E.

The short slot is PCI-E 1x, the long one is PCI-E 16x the two white ones are PCI.

(PCI-E doesn't have a colour coding, but PCI is often white because it replaced the black ISA slots, which are a single colour presumably because they are from a time when the PC was IBM's home & business computer offering).

Banned

EndlessWaves;7324101

Those are just the types of power it provides (rails or lines), the … Those are just the types of power it provides (rails or lines), the numbers in Amperes (A) underneath are the actual power ratings (and you need to say which corresponds to which rail).As you've got +12v1 and +12v2 I'd say you're good to go if each of those are 12A or more.The little black plug might be it, the 4-pin one (was it white?) sounds like the general purpose 'molex' connector.AGP stopped being included in new systems several years ago, anything with a Q8400 is almost certainly PCI-E.The short slot is PCI-E 1x, the long one is PCI-E 16x the two white ones are PCI.(PCI-E doesn't have a colour coding, but PCI is often white because it replaced the black ISA slots, which are a single colour presumably because they are from a time when the PC was IBM's home & business computer offering).

I have a zoostorm from ebuyer with this same power supply amd foxconn G31 mobo and havent had any problems running 4gb, E6300 2.8gz dual core 2, 2 HDDs, 1 DVDRW, 7600GT gfx, SBAudigy.

would be keen to know if psu would be abnle to handle an 8800gt too. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;7324101

Those are just the types of power it provides (rails or lines), the … Those are just the types of power it provides (rails or lines), the numbers in Amperes (A) underneath are the actual power ratings (and you need to say which corresponds to which rail).As you've got +12v1 and +12v2 I'd say you're good to go if each of those are 12A or more.The little black plug might be it, the 4-pin one (was it white?) sounds like the general purpose 'molex' connector.AGP stopped being included in new systems several years ago, anything with a Q8400 is almost certainly PCI-E.The short slot is PCI-E 1x, the long one is PCI-E 16x the two white ones are PCI.(PCI-E doesn't have a colour coding, but PCI is often white because it replaced the black ISA slots, which are a single colour presumably because they are from a time when the PC was IBM's home & business computer offering).

Thank you so much, very informative! This was very clear.

The little connector i was talking about is black and has 4 pins, it's the one that is hanging from the same cable that runs to the dvdrw?

But i dont see any other spare cable, if i wanted to connect another HDD what would i need to do? So do you think i can run this graphics card on this system? if there are any other details you need to know tell me so i can give you what i got.. i really need the help. thanks

Original Poster

csiman;7326135

I have a zoostorm from ebuyer with this same power supply amd foxconn G31 … I have a zoostorm from ebuyer with this same power supply amd foxconn G31 mobo and havent had any problems running 4gb, E6300 2.8gz dual core 2, 2 HDDs, 1 DVDRW, 7600GT gfx, SBAudigy.would be keen to know if psu would be abnle to handle an 8800gt too. :thumbsup:

How many available cables did you have? I only have the two which run from the dvdrw cable..

Let me know if you decide to get the above one. I bought it from ebuyer but i dont know whether to open it or not just incase it voids my ability to receive a refund

Banned

punji;7327566

How many available cables did you have? I only have the two which run … How many available cables did you have? I only have the two which run from the dvdrw cable..Let me know if you decide to get the above one. I bought it from ebuyer but i dont know whether to open it or not just incase it voids my ability to receive a refund

I had to put a molex to sata power cable in so that my extra HDD worked
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. changing a dimmer swith to normal light switch45
    2. Swimming goggles for 3 year old44
    3. printing pictures22
    4. Second sky q mini box - can i buy from ebay?1318

See more discussions