Help with gym

Posted 15th Sep
I am starting gym soon and I don’t have a clue what I’m doing

I used to go before but ended up cancelling as I was just going there and using a few random machines then finished and didn’t see any difference

Please could someone advise what is the best way to approach all the machines at the gym and start beneficial workouts

I want to basically burn fat and get healthy

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
Start off with a treadmill (pretty basic to use), start with lights jogs etc then switch to HIT (High intensity training-start at level 5 for 30 seconds then level 8/9 for 1min etc) this will gradually build confidence. Also ask around, others will be able to offer advice.
Ivanmac1115/09/2019 21:10

Start off with a treadmill (pretty basic to use), start with lights jogs …Start off with a treadmill (pretty basic to use), start with lights jogs etc then switch to HIT (High intensity training-start at level 5 for 30 seconds then level 8/9 for 1min etc) this will gradually build confidence. Also ask around, others will be able to offer advice.

Thanks for your comment

Appreciate it
In terms of workout ideas look on youtube etc and they have good plans on there you can copy, will also show you how to use the machines too.

I’d also ask someone that works at the gym or even someone that looks like they know what they are doing - gyms are typically friendly and personally I’d more than happily help someone who needed a hand or a few pointers.

Also consider diet - losing weight isn’t 100% achieved in the gym, I recommend intermittent fasting, coupled with gym 3 times a week helps me keep the fat off - final point, stick with it, you may not notice any difference for weeks but it will happen, persistence is key - good luck.
Thanks I want to start too
Good post op where u from
Do the gym have classes that you could join?
If your gym is thegym.. they do induction before you start and show you the machines
and how to use.. Best to ask a member of staff to show you around the equipment.
Good Luck.
Google or you tube best gym workouts, on Facebook add people who post a lot of gym videos like Dwayne etc. Also you could book a gym instructor for 2/3 sessions and then just repeat what he shows you. Once you find a good routine you’ll stick to it and just increase time/reps/weight etc as you progress.
Depends on how old you are. I trained hard for two years and still had a gut. Once I did a no carb diet (one day a week cheat day) the fat disappeared.
You need to maybe start off on the treadmill, while on the treadmill, watch how people are using other machines that you want to use. That way you'll get a idea on how to use the machines. Or.. If you see someone on the machines you want to use, when they're finished, politely ask them if they could tell you briefly how to use it, most people will help you out.

As a rule of thumb, focus on 2 muscles per day at least 4 days a week. So Bicep/back one day, then chest/tricep on another..etc.

-Sort your diet out, although not sure if you just want to keep fit, cut, or bulk.
-Never skip leg day
-Drink some whey within 15 mins post workout.
-Eat a decent meal 1 hour post workout.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 15th Sep
@adil171

"Please could someone advise what is the best way to approach all the machines at the gym and start beneficial workouts..."

Speak to the staff at the gym & let them guide you based on your fitness/exercise goal(s); whether this be muscle toning, strength gaining, weight loss (or gain), or a general increase in your fitness level.

If there are no staff to advise you, & you need advice, I would suggest you have become a member of a gym that is, perhaps, not best-suited to your abilities/experience/knowledge at this time.

As mentioned by @J4GG4, the staff will also be able to advise you on the best diet/intake to maximise the benefit of the exercise programme you are following.

PS. Another thread to post questions/comments...

"5am gym crew"
If you want to loose fat then eat less...low carb veg and fish or chicken breast...and most important thing is no sugar at all...if you are diabetic glucose tablet when required....3 days a week gym...no cheat days for a month...you gut will disappear in no time.
The_Fiend15/09/2019 21:20

Good post op where u from

Nottingham
Yourself ?
Edited by: "adil171" 15th Sep
Adam78612315/09/2019 22:10

If you want to loose fat then eat less...low carb veg and fish or chicken …If you want to loose fat then eat less...low carb veg and fish or chicken breast...and most important thing is no sugar at all...if you are diabetic glucose tablet when required....3 days a week gym...no cheat days for a month...you gut will disappear in no time.

@adil171

If you wish to lose fat do not take advice from anybody but qualified professionals that have spoken with you directly & know your medical history.

Taking advice on restricting your diet while engaging in a new exercise regime is far from recommended, especially from 'random' people "on the Internet".
Hey bro I was a bit lucky in the sense my friend was a PT and took me under his wing and showed me how to train if you don’t have anyone. Do not ask around most people don’t have a clue how to lift or do so correctly.

I would go twice a week for the first month or two and each of those times get a PT ( if you don’t have someone who knows what they’re doing ) it will be expensive but don’t get them to do any random training ask them to show you how to do COMPOUND exercises and do 3/4 of these per workout you can’t go wrong I bet my life if all you do is do pull ups and squats you will see improvements. But some basic compound movements are your pull ups dips squats deadlifts bench press, military press doing those target your whole body.

Once you get better or want to know more get your pt to show you how to front squat goblet squat do rack pulls farmers walk incline bench press. Clean and press

And good luck buddy hope you get the improvements you’re after

Regards Ali.
Good for you.

I've signed up (and subsequently cancelled) with several gyms over the years. In fact, I signed up to one three weeks ago and, for the first time ever, I'm going regularly (4-5 times a week) and enjoying it too.

I would say that you should decide what exactly you want from it. It's I weight loss? Muscle build? Tone up?

For me, at this time, it's the weight loss. All I have been using is the treadmill on a brisk walking pace and the stationary bike. Combined with eating healthier, I have lost nine pounds in those three weeks and I'm well chuffed.

For now, I don't over-exert myself. I put my headphones in and just use those machines and, no, nobody cares what you look like in the gym... Everyone's doing their own thing.

Maybe you should download a fitness app as a companion? I find My Fitness Pal to be very helpful, especially if you're calorie counting too.

Anyway, keep at it. You'll soon see and feel a difference.

Oh... And make sure you stretch :-)

If you want to loose fat then eat less...low carb veg and fish or chicken …If you want to loose fat then eat less...low carb veg and fish or chicken breast...and most important thing is no sugar at all...if you are diabetic glucose tablet when required....3 days a week gym...no cheat days for a month...you gut will disappear in no time.

This is probably the best advice. Diet is key, do some research online on results you would like to see or you could pay some PT at the gym to advise you the same.

Work put your BMR and you want to eat below it aka calorie deficit. I aim around 1200 per day but I consume around 2000 and bring the rest down with workouts.

Download myfitnesspal and record everything you eat monitoring the macro of daily intake and adjust if/as necessary. You want to bring carbs right down.
Edited by: "samosa" 16th Sep
Does the gym not have personal trainers? They should give you an introduction so that you know how to use the machines - health and safety, if you have an accident they would be to blame if they didn't show you how to use them.

The rowing machine is a good all rounder - you mainly use your legs, with arms and back also getting a workout. The correct technique is the start on the balls of your feet and push with your legs, you don't start leaning back until your legs are straight. (I did rowing for two years).

You can start off on an easy resistance and then build up, you can also go as fast or as slow as you like.
I was always put off by going to the gym until a few years ago. I would recommend:

10-15 min cardio to warm up.

Pick a 3 - 5 day weight workout routine that focusses on the core lifts (don’t worry too much about accessory lifts for now). Have at least 1-2 rest days, throw in some cardio throughout the week that you enjoy.

Start light, form is everything. Get a PT to help you work on form or follow YouTube videos and record yourself. If free weights seem a bit daunting to start with, then machines are an ok alternative but don’t work as many muscles as free weights.

As a complete beginner you may find that you ‘lock up’ for the first two weeks. It’s normal, just keep at it.

Weights burn more cals than cardio, plus you will look better from gaining muscle. Don’t ditch cardio completely though - endurance, health (heart etc).

Stretch after every workout.

Most importantly - enjoy it. Hate certain exercises? Look at alternatives. Not a fan of running? Swim. Add it to your routine and make it enjoyable instead of a chore and keep at it. When you see results that’s when it becomes addictive.

As for goals - assuming you’re goal is weight loss they cutout carbs, sugar and bad fats. Increase protein intake - 2G for every 1kg I think is the general rule of the thumb?
One thing to remember the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns naturally so instead of the usual 2500 calories per day you can burn through your to 3000 naturally before exercise etc, cardio is best way to lose fat but do weights even if just a little, also if your fat like I was (19st at 6’4) then if you lose only fat without gaining muscle you’ll end up looking scrawny with a little loose skin.
Bigfootpete16/09/2019 13:59

Does the gym not have personal trainers? They should give you an …Does the gym not have personal trainers? They should give you an introduction so that you know how to use the machines - health and safety, if you have an accident they would be to blame if they didn't show you how to use them.The rowing machine is a good all rounder - you mainly use your legs, with arms and back also getting a workout. The correct technique is the start on the balls of your feet and push with your legs, you don't start leaning back until your legs are straight. (I did rowing for two years). You can start off on an easy resistance and then build up, you can also go as fast or as slow as you like.

Went today for the first time to xcercise4less on a 5 day trial

He pointed out where the toilet was and where the water fountain is
Told me this section is free weights and that section is for cardio
“Have fun and enjoy your workout”
And that’s it
Hit the cardio and do some classes! Leave the weights until you’ve reduced your body fat!
Depending where you're looking to burn the fat you can either hit cardio or go for weight training. They both burn fat while weight training builds muscle as well (I'd recommend weight training personally).

Depending on body part you're looking for machines that hit these areas. Arms, legs, abs, chest etc.

You want to warm up with a little stretching and cardio then go for arms one day, chest another, legs another, shoulders another etc.

Download an app that shows you how to do core (ab) workout on the mats and follow the routine.

It's all a slow process so even if you're only using a few machines. If you stick to it you'll make progress. But you got to remember it's a 6 month minimum goal.
I've been doing gym for 1 and half years now.

Spend time thinking of what your exact goal is and what body parts you really want to hit. Then try changing diet as well (they say it's like 80% diet 20% workout to get the results).
adil17116/09/2019 19:29

Went today for the first time to xcercise4less on a 5 day trialHe pointed …Went today for the first time to xcercise4less on a 5 day trialHe pointed out where the toilet was and where the water fountain isTold me this section is free weights and that section is for cardio“Have fun and enjoy your workout”And that’s it

I've recently changed gyms from better to The Gym, they have loads of free classes with the gym. Book into some of those for motivation.

Remember Google and YouTube are amazing tools for information as well.
alex.tbn16/09/2019 19:39

Hit the cardio and do some classes! Leave the weights until you’ve reduced …Hit the cardio and do some classes! Leave the weights until you’ve reduced your body fat!

Both training (cardio Vs weight) + diet is the best way to lose fat.

Doing one or the other (with a good diet) will work, but doing a mix is the best route.
adil17116/09/2019 19:29

Went today for the first time to xcercise4less on a 5 day trialHe pointed …Went today for the first time to xcercise4less on a 5 day trialHe pointed out where the toilet was and where the water fountain isTold me this section is free weights and that section is for cardio“Have fun and enjoy your workout”And that’s it

Sounds like this is either a gym marketed towards people who completely know what they're doing, or one which want to charge a lot for personal trainers (although I would've thought they would try to push you to book a session if that was the case).

May be worth looking at other gyms local to you who have staff on hand to help you tailor a workout. The gym I use has trainers on hand (one is even a competition weightlifter) who will answer questions and can be booked for 1-1 sessions included in the membership price.

Even if you have to pay for a few sessions with an instructor, it's probably worth it to give you a routine until you are more confident with working out your own routine.

The main thing is not to do anything which makes you uncomfortable/hurts until you have had some advice (some discomfort/pain is not necessarily a bad thing, but can be very damaging if you're not careful)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants