Groups

help with holiday booking!!!!

we booked a holiday in jan this year to turkey for 2 weeks, we paid a deposit of £75 and had to pay the £1650 by april 25th we decided we would rather finish refurbing our house and go on a holiday next year so we didn't pay the remander of the amount but today we recieved our tickets?! whats going on?!

60 Comments

Banned

Did you ring and cancel?

Original Poster

no
    we thought if we hadn't paid it by the date they said it'd be cancelled

:thumbsup:have they taken the money out of your bank account/charged your credit card - if they havent your a lucky girl/buy - enjoy your free holiday - if they have sent an acknowledgement stating 'balance of account paid' you are laughing

good for you

Did you pay the deposit by card? If so, have you checked the card account/statement?

You should be phoning the company/agent and asking them, none of us will know the answer, we can only guess.

Original Poster

no they havent taken anything from my bank at all, we did it online and we were sent a confirmation email with a form to print out and include with our payment. I'm worried they'll charge us a cancellation fee now?! can they do that? I thought if we didn't pay on time it'd just be cancelled?

Banned

kirsty1981;2275345

no they havent taken anything from my bank at all, we did it online and … no they havent taken anything from my bank at all, we did it online and we were sent a confirmation email with a form to print out and include with our payment. I'm worried they'll charge us a cancellation fee now?! can they do that? I thought if we didn't pay on time it'd just be cancelled?

yep - they are totally within their rights to charge you a cnacellation fee. After all, you havent left them long to resell the holiday. If within 8 weeks of departure then you could expect a bill of up to 75% of the total holiday cost.

I think they will charge you a cancellation fee, sorry if that sounds like bad news, but generally if you want something cancelled you would phone them up and let them know.

dont they normally just keep the deposit? i never got charged a cancellation fee they just kept my deposit

Banned

You signed the booking form which is a legal contract. Just ignoring the payment date wont make it go away I'm afraid. How was the holiday company meant to know without telling them. I think you'll be very lucky to get away with this.

Banned

princessboo;2275388

dont they normally just keep the deposit? i never got charged a … dont they normally just keep the deposit? i never got charged a cancellation fee they just kept my deposit

Depends how long they have to resell the holiday. Here are a typical holidays T&Cs

[COLOR=#3A4D99]If you cancel your holiday[/COLOR]
    To cancel the entire holiday or any component, the Party Leader must either write, fax or email our Reservations department. Our contact details are stated on your booking confirmation. Cancellation takes effect on the date we receive your letter. If you cancel after we confirm your booking, you must compensate us for losses, as we incur costs from the moment you make the booking. The closer your cancellation is to the departure date, the less likely we are to recover the costs by re-selling the holiday or components at the brochure price. Our cancellation charges therefore increase as the departure date approaches, as shown below. If you have to cancel for a reason covered by your insurance policy, you should be able to recover the cancellation charges. Claims must be made directly to the insurance company concerned. When only some members cancel in a group that has booked a holiday together, the charge will be based on the price of their holiday only. Remaining passengers in the group must pay any increased costs for the holiday, including the full accommondation cost.

The following cancellation charges apply:

More than 10 weeks prior to departure – deposit and insurance premium (if applicable).
    70 – 43 days prior to departure 30% of the cost of your holiday or loss of deposit whichever is greater.
    42 – 29 days prior to departure 50% of the cost of your holiday or loss of deposit whichever is greater.
    28 – 22 days prior to departure 70% of the cost of your holiday.
    21 – 15 days prior to departure 90% of the cost of your holiday.
    14 – 0 days prior to departure 100% of the cost of your holiday.

Banned

When does the holiday start?

Original Poster

uh oh 20th of june

kirsty1981;2275430

uh oh 20th of june

is there no family or friends that want it, you wont lose your money although you will be charged for name changes

Original Poster

no no-one else can go away those dates. I thought they would have sent us a reminder or something at least?

Original Poster

this is the only thing we have ever recieved from them, I thought we'd get a letter saying payment is due in next 2 weeks or at least a letter saying we have not recieved your payment ?

Try selling on EBAY if all else fails!

I found out i was pregnant so was going to cancel our holiday this july, this was last year so we had OVER a year to go....anyway to cut a long story short, we were told if we were to cancel we would have to pay ALL of the deposit (sounds like you have only paid a low deposit like we did so the rest of the deposit would be needed) I asked what would happen if we didnt pay, and she said its a legal contract, so if it came to it the courts would get involved. We have now altered the holiday dates and destination (with an amendment fee, the bar stewards) and thought if we had to pay anything towards it, id rather have the bloody holiday.

Original Poster

they only asked for a £75 deposit, what would be the rest of the deposit? uh I feel sick!

Dont worry matey, worse things happen at sea! Ours worked out nearly half of the holiday, thats why we werent willing just to basically give the money away!

Who did you book with hunny?
    Im sure they wouldnt of issued the tickets, if they knew the money was outstanding?

can't you go away this time? and leave the refurbishment for a year... at least you wont loose out this way...

Original Poster

I can't believe we didn't cancel, we spent so long umming and arring wether to go it didn't enter our minds to cancel

Original Poster

thomas cook, thats what my brother said. he goes on millions of holdays abroad and he said there is no way they would issue any tickets with money outstanding

phone them up and ask, thats the only way youll sort it out

Original Poster

i'm too scared of what they'll say!

It sounds to me as if you have got yourself a 'freebie' !! good luck :thumbsup:

kirsty1981;2275528

i'm too scared of what they'll say!

claim you cancelled it and ask why you have received the tickets! :whistling:

And cancel the credit card you ordered you it on...

I wouldnt phone up, i'd cancel your credit card or whatever means you paid by....then start packing, wanna take me

Original Poster

my hubby just rang this girl we know who used to work in going places (which is who we booked the holiday through... but tickets say thomas cook?) she seems to think we've just lost our £75 and the tickets have been sent in error to us, that the holiday has probably been sold to someone else as we didn't pay by the 25th. I think I'll get him to ring up and say we've recieved our tickets but we cancelled by email ages ago.... it says on thier website if you book online you can cancel by email.

Original Poster

ah ok maybe I wont let him ring up lol!

You state you did it online - which means you must have paid your deposit via a credit/debit card - I think if you check your card issuer you will find that they have taken the money (it is probably just pending at this stage) and that is why they sent you the tickets - if they have sent you the tickets in error and you use them they have the right to charge you the full amount.
    If you don't want to be completely out of pocket (not use them but the money gets taken anyway) then it is best to find out what has happened and ring them - you will be charged one way or another (cancellation fee or whole amount). If I was you I'd ring and say I'd received the tickets but no invoice and they will then look into it and will tell you what has happened and then you can try and bluff it that you cancelled it so wondered what was going on . Good luck - and if all else fails try and pass it on without losing too much money

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy;2275576

I wouldnt phone up, i'd cancel your credit card or whatever means you … I wouldnt phone up, i'd cancel your credit card or whatever means you paid by....then start packing, wanna take me

ha ha don't think i'm brave enough to go! i'd be so embarassed if it all went wrong at the airport! lol

Snap, i think i'd poo myself! Give them a ring then if you want to, but try covering your own butt, by saying you DID cancel somehow. Email is a good idea.

may as well go if your gonna get charged 100 per cent anyway

I wouldnt just cancel the credit card as if they try and take money, as you are in a contract with them, might go against your credit rating.

What I would do (doesnt mean its right) would be to call up (like others have said) and get arsey asking why have they sent these tickets out when you called to cancel. Many times i have actually called places and they havent got a record of the conversation so this is what must of happened when you called to cancel.

Explain of course you cancelled otherwise you would have paid the balance of you just wouldnt have told them and went on a free holiday.

chances are if you go, they will find out and they will ask for payment through courts if you object.
    Maybe they have already sold the tickets and you have just lost your deposit but you really have to call otherwise you will worry about it all the time.

Let us know how you get on

Banned

I think they will want 90% of the cost or 100% if you leave it another 4 days before phoning:-

What will it cost to cancel my booking? (Excludes late bookings)

If we receive notice of your cancellation more than 56 days before departure you will lose your deposit.
    If we receive notice of your cancellation between 29 and 55 days before departure you will lose 50% of the cost of your holiday.
    If we receive notice of your cancellation between 22 and 28 days before departure you will lose 70% of the cost of your holiday.
    If we receive notice of your cancellation between 8 and 21 days before departure you will lose 90% of the cost of your holiday.
    If we receive notice of your cancellation 7 days or fewer before departure you will lose 100% of the cost of your holiday.

If you had cancelled in April you would have got your deposit back as well.

its weird tho cos they send a letter for the low deposit balance-then one for the balance and a reminder if you dont pay threatening cancellation. I almost always book online and it follows the same pattern. The low deposit is usually aoround £15 and then later many weeks before the hol you pay the remainder of £120 or so each deposit. So you would have had at least 3 letters??

csiman;2275857

I think they will want 90% of the cost or 100% if you leave it another 4 … I think they will want 90% of the cost or 100% if you leave it another 4 days before phoning:-What will it cost to cancel my booking? (Excludes late bookings)If we receive notice of your cancellation more than 56 days before departure you will lose your deposit.If we receive notice of your cancellation between 29 and 55 days before departure you will lose 50% of the cost of your holiday.If we receive notice of your cancellation between 22 and 28 days before departure you will lose 70% of the cost of your holiday.If we receive notice of your cancellation between 8 and 21 days before departure you will lose 90% of the cost of your holiday.If we receive notice of your cancellation 7 days or fewer before departure you will lose 100% of the cost of your holiday.If you had cancelled in April you would have got your deposit back as well.

as far as i am aware you can not get deposit back at all except an insurance cancellation?? and then you pay the excess.

can you look at the booking online??? you can with first choice. it tells you what you have paid and when and what is outstanding etc...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?44
      2. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother45
      3. how do i join shop and scan ???22
      4. Iphone 7 - What Case?611

See more discussions