help with Hp microserver gen8 and xpenology

Found 28th Jul 2016
Hi all.

Bought a microserver at the weekend installed a new 1tb wd red and currently trying to get xpenology installed on it.
I have created the boot USB and set the boot order to boot from usb. I get to the xpenology screen and it says diskstation login. I launch synology assistant and point it to the pat file. It configures network settings then fails at formatting system partition. Error 38, (this points to motherboard not being able to communicate with hdd, however hdd is recognised in bios)

Do I have to change the data controllor to ahci for it to work also some guides state to remove the USB drive before launching synology assistant.

Any help getting this working and past the error 38 is greatly appreciated.

TIA
Community Updates
AskHPMicroserver
15 Comments
Have you checked both sata cable and hdd on another system ?
Create a live boot USB stick such as a Ubuntu one, and boot that and check the HD is OK.
Not sure why you haven't got it set to ahci unless you're trying to set up raid ?
kester76

Not sure why you haven't got it set to ahci unless you're trying to set … Not sure why you haven't got it set to ahci unless you're trying to set up raid ?

I'm not sure what it's set as. I literally got it out the box installed the hdd and started to install xpenology
Cfcb

Create a live boot USB stick such as a Ubuntu one, and boot that and … Create a live boot USB stick such as a Ubuntu one, and boot that and check the HD is OK.

Will try that. Although it's recognised in the bios. One thing I did notice and thought was strange was the USB and the hdd both have the same drive letter.
barrel24

Will try that. Although it's recognised in the bios. One thing I did … Will try that. Although it's recognised in the bios. One thing I did notice and thought was strange was the USB and the hdd both have the same drive letter.

Do they both has the same hard drive space ? Also have you got the correct build for your microserver ?
kester76

Do they both has the same hard drive space ? Also have you got the … Do they both has the same hard drive space ? Also have you got the correct build for your microserver ?

I believe it's the correct build and the hdd shows as 1tb and the 8gb stick shows as 24mb due to the partition. Will try again later as could be a firewall issue if that doesn't work will try a different build.
barrel24

I believe it's the correct build and the hdd shows as 1tb and the 8gb … I believe it's the correct build and the hdd shows as 1tb and the 8gb stick shows as 24mb due to the partition. Will try again later as could be a firewall issue if that doesn't work will try a different build.

What microserver did you buy ?
kester76

What microserver did you buy ?

Hp 1610 gen8
Intel based. Unlike the previous amd range.
kester76

Intel based. Unlike the previous amd range.

It shouldn't matter with xpenology as it supports a lot of different processors. I will try a different image tomorrow.
kester76

Have you tried thishttp://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15647

Hi. Yes I enabled ahci (was previously off) and still no change. I have tried turning firewall off. Different img/pat files. All sorts. The only thing I have noticed it I get an eth0/1 not running message. However synology assistant can still see and talk to the server. Will keep trying. Thanks for your help.
kester76

Have you tried thishttp://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15647

Hi. Yes I enabled ahci (was previously off) and still no change. I have tried turning firewall off. Different img/pat files. All sorts. The only thing I have noticed it I get an eth0/1 not running message. However synology assistant can still see and talk to the server. Will keep trying. Thanks for your help.
barrel24

Hi. Yes I enabled ahci (was previously off) and still no change. I have … Hi. Yes I enabled ahci (was previously off) and still no change. I have tried turning firewall off. Different img/pat files. All sorts. The only thing I have noticed it I get an eth0/1 not running message. However synology assistant can still see and talk to the server. Will keep trying. Thanks for your help.

I'd grab another memory stick and just try installing to that to see if you can resolve the issue.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants