Groups

help with icing (for a cake)

just attempted our first cake-bake following a recipe, however we accidentally put all of our butter into the cake mix, leaving none for the icing. in a moment of inspiration and desperation, we substituted the butter for margerine. we followed all the instructions from the recipe as well as we could. the cake has come out fine, but now we have a problem with the taste of the icing. it tastes like margerine. it's also a bit too runny and we've run out of icing sugar. does anyone have any suggestions as to how we could alter the taste of the icing and possibly thicken it's consistency?

it's a chocolate cake with chocolate icing. the icing is already pretty sweet, i don't think it needs to be any sweeter, at the moment the cake halves are cooling and the icing is in the fridge (trying to make it thicker)

17 Comments

Banned

can you not jam the cake rather than spoil it with crap margarine icing

add booze to the icing... baileys works well

You could use chocolate spread instead.

I wouldnt add it if it tastes that bad, as Sassie says jam it or chocolate spread to sandwich together and either choc spread or cream on top. If chocolate spread too diffiult to spread warm it slightly. Alternatively melt some real chocolate and use that instead. Good luck.

Banned

Painkiller;5334148

add booze to the icing... baileys works well

its already too runny, so adding liquid will make it worse, you could just leave the cake dry and eat it at same time as drining booze so it wont seem as dry - or just park it up and walk - lol

Does cornflour work with icing? Any packets of Bird's trifle you could steal the dream topping from?

id say add a lil flour to thicken, esp if its too sweet

custard powder?

I cant believe this

sassie's Mrs Beeton re-incarnated!

Banned

harlzter;5334244

I cant believe thissassie's Mrs Beeton re-incarnated!

im probably goona regret this, but who is mrs beeton

sassie;5334251

heres Mr. Beaton
    [IMG]cache.gettyimages.com/xc/…jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0EDA2FCE8ADE31476C25A5397277B4DC33E[/IMG]

add cocoa powder to the buttercream. It will thicken it and hide the margerine taste.

andymwh1972;5334360

add cocoa powder to the buttercream. It will thicken it and hide the … add cocoa powder to the buttercream. It will thicken it and hide the margerine taste.

ooohhh yeah top idea

sassie;5334251

Ok.... didn't think there was anyone in the uk who didn't know who mrs beeton was,

she was a Victorian housewife who wrote a book on household management. How to fix things, recipies and the like. she is still bloody famous for it aswell, lol

Original Poster

thanks for the tips, i'll try the cocoa powder idea in a while, the fridge thickened it up nicely but the flavour is still there

don't, what ever you do use flour to thicken it.... flour is one of the main foods that can cause food poisoning. you have to cook flour for at least 5 mins to kill the bacteria with in it.

Original Poster

i did actually use a bit of flour to thicken it, but as it turns out that would be the least of my worries. we later discovered that the margerine was out of date, it expired on 23rd of may 2006! needless to say, i've given up on the icing
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions