Groups

help with ideas on decorating please

Banned
    right now have room ready to go for carpeting, entire room is now white, 2 walls wth nothing on, 1 wall with wndow in, and one wall with door in, outside is shed so room doesnt get much light and also it used to have glass double doors leading into lounge, that has now been sealed up, so was wondering if i should do one wall in a colour? what do you think? at mo in all white looks very bright

Also thinking of going with vertical blind inside window rather than curtains

23 Comments

Blinds are good:)

Original Poster Banned

Train Driver;5032606

my friend has blinds and no curtains, just not sure, i suppose i would get used to it

Train Driver;5032606

+1
    what room is it? a conservatory?

Original Poster Banned

its a dining room, was going to do the window wall a different colour and go for a white blind, but daughter says it will look daft, not the right wall to have colour on

I am absolutely useless with colour schemes, my lounge is now all white too

sassie;5032611

my friend has blinds and no curtains, just not sure, i suppose i would … my friend has blinds and no curtains, just not sure, i suppose i would get used to it

I got blinds with curtains on the patio door..... Only use the blinds though and they wouldn't look out of place on there own.

sassie;5032630

its a dining room, was going to do the window wall a different colour and … its a dining room, was going to do the window wall a different colour and go for a white blind, but daughter says it will look daft, not the right wall to have colour onI am absolutely useless with colour schemes, my lounge is now all white too

I was stuck when considering what wall to have a bolder colour on. If you haven't got a feature wall then I would do one of the plain walls bolder. Also, though, you really would need some wall art and accessories to bring it all together, otherwise it won't work.

Like if you was doing purple, for example, then I would put a white and purple picture on the purple wall (mostly white) and then get some purple accessories like a vase for the windowsill and some candles.

I would also go for blinds, but maybe vertical ones, not office-type ones in a dining room

Original Poster Banned

jesus christ, purple i was thinking of a off whitish colour - lol

Maybe leave it white and go fro dark blinds and accessories with colour from blind - arrggghhh

sassie;5032748

jesus christ, purple i was thinking of a off whitish colour - lolMaybe … jesus christ, purple i was thinking of a off whitish colour - lolMaybe leave it white and go fro dark blinds and accessories with colour from blind - arrggghhh

NO, just a colour that came to mind :giggle:

Hi Sassie,

I have a similar problem , don't go dark trust me it will look really dark, what we did was cut as much as we dare of the tall trees outside and put in a really nice lamp and blinds and brightened it up loads.

get some bold funky wall paper x

what kind of furnishings are you going to put back in & what colour are they? (as it's a dining room, I'm guessing table & chairs, but what colour?). What colour is the carpet? Don't forget that it will look very different when you have put everything back in ...

Also depends how big the room is, but if it doesn't get a lot of light, then I wouldn't go too dark...

Are there wall lights / celing pendant / lamps - lighting makes a massive difference too

I would go with cream rather than white to warm it up a bit but still keep it light. Then u can add colour with all the furnishings:thumbsup:
    Although I love the purple idea too:-D

Leave the walls white and get some of your very favourite pics blown up and framed - will still reflect the light but won't look like the white asylum.

Blinds is good:thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

the room at the moment is bare, the walls have been papered and painted white, new caprets have no been ordered, as cant decide on colour, all that will be in there is table and chairs in a light wood (i suppose its teak, not up on wood colours) cant accessorse till i get carpets and blinds in, so am really at base 1, lol,. same with living room, papered and papered white, new carpets not yet ordered and suite not yet ordered

When I sometimes catch the end of those 'get your house ready to sell' type programmes, they always go for bland and beige with one or two (re)moveable individual items. I like beige as it happens, but I think the idea for selling is that the prospective buyer sees it's nice and clean and a sort of bank canvas.
    I'm clueless actually, my only mantra is 'carpets mustn't show the dirt'.

what kind of look would you like at the end?

have a quick look here & see if you like any of the ideas - just click on the rooms & might give you a few ideas

dulux.co.uk/ser…002

Original Poster Banned

chesso;5039538

When I sometimes catch the end of those 'get your house ready to sell' … When I sometimes catch the end of those 'get your house ready to sell' type programmes, they always go for bland and beige with one or two (re)moveable individual items. I like beige as it happens, but I think the idea for selling is that the prospective buyer sees it's nice and clean and a sort of bank canvas.I'm clueless actually, my only mantra is 'carpets mustn't show the dirt'.

Thats why it was all white, was putting in beige and caprets and putting it on the market, now we are staying its like oh crap, i ainy repainting everywhere, i will accessorise wit canvas on walls, but have no idea on what colour carpets to go for, and no idea on what im now doing - lol

As it's a dining room you can be a bit more adventurous than if it was say a living room where you spend far more time.

Choose a colour that wont unsettle your stomach as you'll be eating in here and remember paint is easily covered over, if you make a mistake, the worst that can happen is you have to repaint.

Have fun with it x x x

Original Poster Banned

think maybe i need to decide on colour of carpet and go from there, grrrr i hate this sort of thing - lol

sassie;5041658

think maybe i need to decide on colour of carpet and go from there, grrrr … think maybe i need to decide on colour of carpet and go from there, grrrr i hate this sort of thing - lol

we have painted our home so many different colours lol

Hubby did interior design and fine art at college so you'd think we'd be good at this.. but he likes to play lol

At the moment our living room is purple ( a deep plum colour ), brown ( lighter than chocolate )and magnolia! The purple and brown actually make it very comfy and inviting while the magnolia lifts it. If you are going to choose a vivid colour do what someone else said and choose little accents around the room to set it off.

As it's a dining room I'd go wild with it lol You live and learn even if you dont like it! If you prefer to play it safe it's better to stick to the "warmer" spectrum of light shades, such as light apricots and creams etc. These are all very relaxing, light and airy.

Go see what carpet you like... sometimes you fall in love with a particular carpet, I know I had an antique persian carpet in one of our rooms for ages because I loved it and hubby hated it, but it went so well with our bulging leather sofas that we had then ( we since donated to hubby's work ) and all the rest of the junk, I was loathe to get rid. Once you find the carpet you'll be able to decide what to do with the walls more easily and think what lighting you'll have in there also x x x

Original Poster Banned

i go with white cause its just so easy - pmsl, no cutting in with colours, cause im crap at decorating, would like really to leave everywhere white and just accessorise with colours, but them that means im gonna have a white blind againt white walls, what about matching the blinf up with either carpet or wall prints, see told ya im crap at this lark

Also, depends on the size of the room.. dining rooms can be quite small so one colour throughout can look nice, you dont need to match everything with everything else, but make sure it compliments, take a bit of cut off carpet with you when you go looking at blinds and colours. Its very paractical to paint white throughout as if anything gets dirty you just repaint the wall! lol

We have had black blinds at windows even, draped with clean white sheer material they looked gorgeous. Drama goes very well in dining rooms.

sassie;5041499

Thats why it was all white, was putting in beige and caprets and putting … Thats why it was all white, was putting in beige and caprets and putting it on the market, now we are staying its like oh crap, i ainy repainting everywhere, i will accessorise wit canvas on walls, but have no idea on what colour carpets to go for, and no idea on what im now doing - lol

Oh right - you're staying.
    That's different then.
    Yes, white by itself is somewhat 'clinical' but like COM says, it's clean and easy to paint over.
    I'm not at all into decor and hell would freeze over before I fell in love with a piece of furniture, so I go for colours and combinations that I think just fit what I already have and what I want to happen in that space.
    What's your favourite colour? Choose a functional shade of that for one room and get a carpet that tones but 'doesn't show the dirt'. So let's say that your fav colour is plum. You're actually not allowed to have pink!! You can get a pale shade for the three walls and a darker one for the wall where you are going to have the blinds, or leave that one white. Blinds could be anything that goes e.g. really dark plum, or a contrast - green. Carpet is a mix of those colours, which won't show the dirt. Basically do what you like!!:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846146
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764135
      3. Any PS4 News Here29213611
      4. A Nigerian prince and bit coins scam67

See more discussions