Help with installing LED christmas light outdoors

Posted 8th Dec 2019Edited by:"blkwhte"
Q to all the electronic experts out there..I picked up a bag of 400 LED chaser lights last year from b&m at a bargain price (hence no instruction or box). Its Eveready make and I meant to use them outdoors as they mention as safe to use indoor and outdoor on the label.. The plug(with the controller button to change to flashing mode etc) however has IP20 rating so should not be outdoors.. Any ideas on how to install this? I could always use it indoors , but would be nice to get some ideas on how to install it outdoors as its really long enough to cover the front of my house nicely...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
deleted1471098
Buy an outdoor junction box. It’s water sealed box, safe for non waterproof sockets. For example argos.co.uk/product/9094653 and put a timer switch on the plug indoors.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 8th Dec 2019
I will probably be shot down here but I assume they’re low voltage, there’s nothing stopping you splicing in an extra length of cable so you can use the controller indoors without buying an external 240v extension in waterproof enclosure. Speaker cable will do assuming they're the two cable feed type, solder your connections and use heat shrink tube if you want a proper job. It’s only going to be 10-35v DC at extremely low current. I’ve done this with all my outdoor xmas lights without issue but check the transformer/control box thoroughly if you choose to do this – make sure they’re low voltage but I assume they will be being LED lights from B&M.
Is it not the plug that needs to be outdoors thatneeds to be indoors and the wire can go outside.
Edited by: "eslick" 8th Dec 2019
We have ours plugged in indoor and the cable threaded out through the window
deleted147109808/12/2019 18:53

Buy an outdoor junction box. It’s water sealed box, safe for non w …Buy an outdoor junction box. It’s water sealed box, safe for non waterproof sockets. For example argos.co.uk/product/9094653 and put a timer switch on the plug indoors.

thanks - remmeber seeing a similar one in an aldi or lidl catalogue .. I suppose it would work if I can somehow connect the waterproof socket to out external light connection ..(I was trying to avoid taking the cable from inside as we don't have a hole drilled and would have to rely on leaving one of the windows open for the cables to outside). And thanks for that argos link - going through the q&a for the product and its giving me some ideas on how to work ours ..
Edited by: "blkwhte" 8th Dec 2019
I plug mine indoors and thread through my letterbox
freakstyler08/12/2019 19:55

I will probably be shot down here but I assume they’re low voltage, t …I will probably be shot down here but I assume they’re low voltage, there’s nothing stopping you splicing in an extra length of cable so you can use the controller indoors without buying an external 240v extension in waterproof enclosure. Speaker cable will do assuming they're the two cable feed type, solder your connections and use heat shrink tube if you want a proper job. It’s only going to be 10-35v DC at extremely low current. I’ve done this with all my outdoor xmas lights without issue but check the transformer/control box thoroughly if you choose to do this – make sure they’re low voltage but I assume they will be being LED lights from B&M.

something on the lines of what i was thinking too as it is more cost effective than buying a waterproof enclosure and my OH does a bit of diy so should be able to give me a hand to do this... i might come back on this this weekend when we attempt to do one of the 2 options - either the enclosure or the diy extension
eslick08/12/2019 20:22

Is it not the plug needs to be indoors and the wire can go outside.

yes , correct.. i was looking to get some ideas on how everyone does theirs as the only obvious way to do this seems to be taking the connection out through an open window which i wanted to avoid that given its cold outside..either that or drill through the wall ..
kirstie280608/12/2019 21:50

I plug mine indoors and thread through my letterbox

oh that's brilliant .. why didn't i think of that .....
Edited by: "blkwhte" 8th Dec 2019
blkwhte08/12/2019 21:56

something on the lines of what i was thinking too as it is more cost …something on the lines of what i was thinking too as it is more cost effective than buying a waterproof enclosure and my OH does a bit of diy so should be able to give me a hand to do this... i might come back on this this weekend when we attempt to do one of the 2 options - either the enclosure or the diy extension

As has been said you plug in doors and out the wire through a door way, window or even a letter box as the person above mentioned you don’t need to do anything else
eslick08/12/2019 22:01

As has been said you plug in doors and out the wire through a door way, …As has been said you plug in doors and out the wire through a door way, window or even a letter box as the person above mentioned you don’t need to do anything else

yaay - yeah thats problem sorted.. thanks everyone
blkwhte08/12/2019 21:59

yes , correct.. i was looking to get some ideas on how everyone does …yes , correct.. i was looking to get some ideas on how everyone does theirs as the only obvious way to do this seems to be taking the connection out through an open window which i wanted to avoid that given its cold outside..either that or drill through the wall ..

The wire is so thing it doesn’t let any draft through, ours is goes through the patio door, no issues at all.
deleted1471098
blkwhte08/12/2019 21:56

something on the lines of what i was thinking too as it is more cost …something on the lines of what i was thinking too as it is more cost effective than buying a waterproof enclosure and my OH does a bit of diy so should be able to give me a hand to do this... i might come back on this this weekend when we attempt to do one of the 2 options - either the enclosure or the diy extension

If the cable is thin then just open the window line the cable in the right place and close the window. Job done.
I've got the control box outside in a tough plastic bag cable tied tight shut around the wires and hung outside with the bag opening facing downwards. Done this for years with no issues.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions