Groups

Help with Internet Connection - Ethernet cable problems

Hello All
    Can anyone help me. My father in law has just joined Talk Talk and we tried to install it on his Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop but the router box works (i tried it on my computer) but for some reason the ethernet connection in his laptop doesn't work as when the laptop is connected to the router the green light for the ethernet connection does not light up. Does anyone know what we need to do or is the port that the ethernet is connected to broken? Thanks for all comments.

8 Comments

Is the Ethernet connection definitely enabled? Go to connections/Show all connections and see if it has been disabled.

That would be my 1st port of call (excuse the pun)

Its possible that the port is disabled?

check under control panel - Network connections

Try this. If you're on XP, right click My Network Places on Desktop, select properties. See if the LAN interface is disabled - if it is right click and enable it.

Great minds think alike

Original Poster

moob;4585459

Is the Ethernet connection definitely enabled? Go to connections/Show all … Is the Ethernet connection definitely enabled? Go to connections/Show all connections and see if it has been disabled.That would be my 1st port of call (excuse the pun)

Hi
    where would i find connections? its XP

Tamara;4585603

Hiwhere would i find connections? its XP

Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet Connections

Another idea , check device manager ,if there is a yellow exclamation mark or question mark next to the network adapters , this means the drivers arn't loaded . This is normally the case on a new build ,XP doesn't always loads it's own drivers.
    Control Panel- System-Hard Wear-Device Manager . [XP]

if all above fails try turning off the wireless adapter and rebooting..
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you use a case on your iPhone?44
      2. Virgin Media TV56
      3. Tooth extraction99
      4. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?611

See more discussions