help with lens for canon 350d please.

Found 3rd Nov 2007
Does anyone here have a canon 350d? I've just bought one and wondered which lens would be worthwhile getting. It has the 18-55mm lens kit but I wanted one with a decent zoom. Also just wondering if the 18-55 should auto zoom with the buttons, I can't seem to get it to move without manually twisting it...am I just being blonde? :oops:

9 Comments

Original Poster

added to my faves...thank you schizoboy

It's a mechanical zoom as with pretty much an SLR zoom lens, you can't move the zoom position using the buttons. I'm not familiar with Canon lenses, can't be any help to you there unfortunately.

John

FYI - The older Canon fs lenses work with this Camera. I have a film Canon 1000FN, and when I went digital, bought the 350D for this reason.
If I remember right, they become magnified to about 1.6 times their zoom value.
Thing is when I went to sell my film camera on e-bay, it was worth about £30 complete with lense. Might be worth picking up the old camera complete with lense.

~BTW - I could'nt bring myself to sell it for that price.

there is a switch about the lense that is Auto or Manual - you must have it set to manual...... Turn brunette, it might help.

mrtootough

there is a switch about the lense that is Auto or Manual - you must have … there is a switch about the lense that is Auto or Manual - you must have it set to manual...... Turn brunette, it might help.

Indeed the lens should have an AF or MF switch.

That's for the focus control, not the zoom.

John

Which lens to buy depends on a number of factors.
What type of photography is it for and do you have a budget in mind?

I've got the 400d which is the newer model of 350d but takes the same lenses e.g. EF-S. I have the 17-85mm EF-S which is an excellent general purpose lens (with both IS & USM) and about £320 from One Stop Digital. If you what a longer focal length for reasonable money then Canon have just released a 55-250mm EF-S lens (with IS but not USM) which I think you will be able to get for about £200 (you might need to wait a few weeks until most places have it in stock).

Like other poster mentioned all depends what you want to use the camera for and what sort of money you are willing to spend but I thought these may be the sort of thing most likely to suit a 350 owner.
Post a comment
@
    Text