Groups

Help with London visit.

Hi all me and OH are taking his parents to gatwick airport next thursday and we are planning to spend the night in hotel near airport and then next day driving to London to spend the day there.
    We did not want to drive into London we plan on parking somewhere on the outskirts and taking the tube into London what are our options? Can we park at the tube stations? Its it costly? Whats the easiest option for us?
    Any help would be great. Thanks

12 Comments

It may help if you quote which Tube station you are intending to travel from. Some have parking on-site. Some have parking nearby. Some do not.

BFN,

fp.

DRIVING to London!?!?
    Hmmmm - are you going to stay at Gatwick as in leave the car in the hotel carpark and then get the Gatwick Express directly to London?

Or you can drive to Croydon if you like and park in the carparks there and jump on any train up to Victoria or London Bridge?
    If you are going to stay in Gatwick - to be fair, you may as well just jump on any one of the numerous trains that stop there and go straight to London then get your tuube from Victoria to whereever you want to go. There is no way i would even consider driving as the train is so much quicker and direct and so on.......

By the way, love your avi! LOL!

Original Poster

fanpages;8949988

It may help if you quote which Tube station you are intending to travel … It may help if you quote which Tube station you are intending to travel from. Some have parking on-site. Some have parking nearby. Some do not.BFN,fp.

We dont know yet lol,we will be driving from Gatwick airport so do you have any suggestions to a tube with car park thats not too far from London and easy to get to?
    Thanks for your advice.:thumbsup:

tara1082;8950007

We dont know yet lol,we will be driving from Gatwick airport so do you … We dont know yet lol,we will be driving from Gatwick airport so do you have any suggestions to a tube with car park thats not too far from London and easy to get to? Thanks for your advice.:thumbsup:

Are you going home after returning to your car? Perhaps you can park "on the way" home to cut-out some of the traffic as well.

If so, which direction is home?

BFN,

fp.

Original Poster

cloudthecat;8949993

DRIVING to London!?!?Hmmmm - are you going to stay at Gatwick as in leave … DRIVING to London!?!?Hmmmm - are you going to stay at Gatwick as in leave the car in the hotel carpark and then get the Gatwick Express directly to London?Or you can drive to Croydon if you like and park in the carparks there and jump on any train up to Victoria or London Bridge?If you are going to stay in Gatwick - to be fair, you may as well just jump on any one of the numerous trains that stop there and go straight to London then get your tuube from Victoria to whereever you want to go. There is no way i would even consider driving as the train is so much quicker and direct and so on.......By the way, love your avi! LOL!

We was planning on driving from Gatwick and parking somewhere near London as its on our way back up North ,but just had a look at the Gatwick express and that looks good we could just get return tickets for that and leave the car at the hotel:)

Original Poster

fanpages;8950078

Are you going home after returning to your car? Perhaps you can park "on … Are you going home after returning to your car? Perhaps you can park "on the way" home to cut-out some of the traffic as well.If so, which direction is home?BFN,fp.

Yes we are going home when we return to our car. We live in Middlesbrough

In all honesty - I live near Gatwick myself and as you are right near the M23 and M25 and motorway(s) to get back home, I would for the sake of it and ease do that option that you are thinking of. As in leaving the car there and coming back to it after. The trains are so frequent from Gatwick to London, and back and also fast.... I would just seem an obvious choice to me.

Otherwise, you are going to be faffing around driving North and not really gaining anything insofar as the time it is going to take you to drive there park, then get into london and so on.....

I would stick with the Gatwick option if I were you.......

xxxxx

Original Poster

cloudthecat;8950152

In all honesty - I live near Gatwick myself and as you are right near the … In all honesty - I live near Gatwick myself and as you are right near the M23 and M25 and motorway(s) to get back home, I would for the sake of it and ease do that option that you are thinking of. As in leaving the car there and coming back to it after. The trains are so frequent from Gatwick to London, and back and also fast.... I would just seem an obvious choice to me.Otherwise, you are going to be faffing around driving North and not really gaining anything insofar as the time it is going to take you to drive there park, then get into london and so on.....I would stick with the Gatwick option if I were you.......xxxxx

Thank you this is what we are going to do. :thumbsup: Rep left for your advice.

Original Poster

Anyone know of a way to get cheap tickets for 2 return on the Gatwick express £over £50 is the best i can get?:thumbsup::thumbsup:

tara1082;8950105

Yes we are going home when we return to our car. We live in Middlesbrough

suprised you still have one, living in Boro :-D

what are you intending to visit whilst in London, as there are loads of 2for1s, if you take the train.

tara1082;8969171

Anyone know of a way to get cheap tickets for 2 return on the Gatwick … Anyone know of a way to get cheap tickets for 2 return on the Gatwick express £over £50 is the best i can get?:thumbsup::thumbsup:

if you mean the friday (9th) then .... £19 each return! (or £22 including a Tube Pass ALL ZONES!) (Leaving anytime after 9:31am, and returning on the train from London to Gatwick after 6pm) - journey takes 29min-32mins approx, travelling on ]1st Capital Trains

take it once you've looked around London, you're going back for car and driving straight back home to boro? Leaving Gatwick around 7?

Original Poster

Disco;8969206

suprised you still have one, living in Boro :-Dwhat are you intending to … suprised you still have one, living in Boro :-Dwhat are you intending to visit whilst in London, as there are loads of 2for1s, if you take the train.if you mean the friday (9th) then .... £19 each return! (or £22 including a Tube Pass ALL ZONES!) (Leaving anytime after 9:31am, and returning on the train from London to Gatwick after 6pm) - journey takes 29min-32mins approx, travelling on ]1st Capital Trainstake it once you've looked around London, you're going back for car and driving straight back home to boro? Leaving Gatwick around 7?

Thanks for this i managed to get it for £36 return for both of us including tube card. Result.
    And yes we going into london around 9.30 from the airport and back to airport to pick car up at around 10pm then driving a long drive back to Boro.

If you haven't already purchased - it would be cheaper for you to park at Heathrow and jump on the tube from there.
    Alternatively, you could get free parking five mins from Ealing Common tube and go from there. That way you are on the edge of West London and the driving would not be too strenuous or really too far out from your path home to the North.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
      2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
      3. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33
      4. DICKINSONS REAL DEAL £25,000 COMPETITION22

See more discussions