Help with lost Hard Drive after installing Vista

5 replies
Found 5th Nov 2007
:oops: Hi Folks,
I know it's a long shot but any help would be appreciated..

I have installed vista home premium and all is well apart from I can't access my E:/ hard disc.160g
I have vista installed on C:/80g
Then I have my DVD R on D:/
But E:/ the disc with all my saved files has gone walkabout.

There must be something simple that I've not done.
I hope!!

Thanks
Mark

6 Comments

enable it in bios, its probably turned itself off.

Original Poster

drive is enabled in bios.
I can find it in device manager, that says device is working properly.
Just can't get to access it.

thanks
Mark

Have a poke in the Disk Management, as the drive might not have been allocated a drive letter.

Start > Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management > Right-click errant drive (assuming it's visible) > Change or assign a drive letter to it

Might work, anyhow.

Original Poster

Thanks, had a look in there.
The drive come up as dynamic and off line! Disk 0
It say I can convert to basic but all information will be lost....

I bought a laptop just after vista was forced onto the buying public, at the time I could have bought the same model, at a greatly reduced price, with windows XP installed......................................Oh how I wish I had:x

markone

Thanks, had a look in there.The drive come up as dynamic and off line! … Thanks, had a look in there.The drive come up as dynamic and off line! Disk 0It say I can convert to basic but all information will be lost....

You could try and download something like Knoppix (bootable live GNU-Linux CD), pop that in and see if it can read from that disk. If so, use it to copy/burn the files away and then let Vista have its way with the device.

Might be worthwhile running a scan over it to make sure too.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 5am gym crew20139
    2. Anyone else bored of video gaming2636
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769530
    4. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604822

See more discussions