Groups

Help with martial arts please

Apart from a few months boxing about 3 years ago i'm completely new to this.
    I have done some research about clubs in my area because i'm looking to take up martial arts.
    Taekwondo & French kickboxing are two that exist local...
    The Boxe Francaise Savate (french kickboxing) is one night a week for two and a half hours.
    Taekwondo is three nights a week and each session is 45 minutes long.
    Should i do both and miss one session of taekwondo on the monday for Boxe Francaise Savate or is this a pointless combination?

19 Comments

Hey,

What are your intentions? As in what are you aiming for? Do you want to be well rounded or focus more on a certian aspect (like kicks, etc?)

I do Wing Chun (traditional martial arts) so i have a fair insight in things. For me personally I'd take up the french Kickboxing and stick with it. Main reason being Taekwondo is a sport if I ain't mistaken. The focus of it's teachings leans very highly towards kicks only (hence why at the olympics, it is restricted to rules...hence why you can only kick). However French kickboxing should round you up more because your training to fight in combat wereby almost anything goes. Elbows, Knees, Kicks, punches...the lot. So yeh thats just my 2 cents I guess. Martial arts for me is all about flow, using what you know and utilising it in a certian situation. But yeh be great to hear your thoughts in martial arts.

it depends on what you want to do. if you want to learn some form of self-defence then choose one. if you want to take martial arts more seriously and do more than one martial art and eventually start up mma then do both. my personal choice would be to do the tae kwon do as its more widely known so more chance for competitions, clothes will be cheaper and its more often a week so more of a healthy lifestyle. the final choice is yours

Ill be keeping an eye on this thread, something im interested in doing, For Self defence

Original Poster

arsnic_uk;5117294

Hey,What are your intentions? As in what are you aiming for? Do you want … Hey,What are your intentions? As in what are you aiming for? Do you want to be well rounded or focus more on a certian aspect (like kicks, etc?)I do Wing Chun (traditional martial arts) so i have a fair insight in things. For me personally I'd take up the french Kickboxing and stick with it. Main reason being Taekwondo is a sport if I ain't mistaken. The focus of it's teachings leans very highly towards kicks only (hence why at the olympics, it is restricted to rules...hence why you can only kick). However French kickboxing should round you up more because your training to fight in combat wereby almost anything goes. Elbows, Knees, Kicks, punches...the lot. So yeh thats just my 2 cents I guess. Martial arts for me is all about flow, using what you know and utilising it in a certian situation. But yeh be great to hear your thoughts in martial arts.

Thanks rep added, have just found out that there is a kickboxing club at my school (don't think it'll be french style) that i am going to attend and maybe this other one as-well. See what i prefer.

Have also found out there is a local Judo club, any good mate?

Original Poster

Scream;5117314

it depends on what you want to do. if you want to learn some form of … it depends on what you want to do. if you want to learn some form of self-defence then choose one. if you want to take martial arts more seriously and do more than one martial art and eventually start up mma then do both. my personal choice would be to do the tae kwon do as its more widely known so more chance for competitions, clothes will be cheaper and its more often a week so more of a healthy lifestyle. the final choice is yours

thanks, rep added. i'd quite like to cage fight actually as it happens.

Why don't you find a club that teaches MMA - mixed martial arts - that way you can learn several disciplines at the same time.

It's probably best you do this if you wish to learn cage-fighting, as there are so many skills you will need to learn, and picking one base martial art just won't cut it, IMO.

Click ]here for a list of clubs sorted by region.

Original Poster

Scream;5117314

it depends on what you want to do. if you want to learn some form of … it depends on what you want to do. if you want to learn some form of self-defence then choose one. if you want to take martial arts more seriously and do more than one martial art and eventually start up mma then do both. my personal choice would be to do the tae kwon do as its more widely known so more chance for competitions, clothes will be cheaper and its more often a week so more of a healthy lifestyle. the final choice is yours

moob;5117495

Why don't you find a club that teaches MMA - mixed martial arts - that … Why don't you find a club that teaches MMA - mixed martial arts - that way you can learn several disciplines at the same time.It's probably best you do this if you wish to learn cage-fighting, as there are so many skills you will need to learn, and picking one base martial art just won't cut it, IMO.Click ]here for a list of clubs sorted by region.

Was what i first looked for but isn't one here, if i was to go it'd be an hours+ travel each time. Thanks for effort though! Rep added.

Edbug;5117572

Was what i first looked for but isn't one here, if i was to go it'd be an … Was what i first looked for but isn't one here, if i was to go it'd be an hours+ travel each time. Thanks for effort though! Rep added.

In that case, I'd suggest kick boxing/muay thai or Brazilian jiu jitsu as a good base.

go to both and see which ya prefer ,
    and stick to one that's local or you'll get fed up of the travelling and stop going

start off with some muay thai classes and once youre well established in it, only then think about adding a 2nd discipline...far best to do one fighting style extremely well rather than a lot of styles poorly.

Original Poster

kungfu;5117701

start off with some muay thai classes and once youre well established in … start off with some muay thai classes and once youre well established in it, only then think about adding a 2nd discipline...far best to do one fighting style extremely well rather than a lot of styles poorly.

isn't no muay thai classes around me :x
    thanks for advice though.

Edbug;5117709

isn't no muay thai classes around me :x

taekwondo then i reckon, its a pretty good martial art imo, you will learn a lot of forms or patterns as some people call them but you will learn flexibility and get a good fighting base to move on when you are ready.... most people in 'mma' currently didnt goto an 'mma class' they are all trained in a certain discipline and added extras on over time to suit the sport .....so take it steady and have patience, you aint gonna be walking into class and throwing tornado kicks etc you will be suprised how inflexible you are at first and how bad your kicks are lol :thumbsup:

Heres a video worth watching for some good martial art type moves-

youtube.com/wat…ted

Thanks for the reps^^

Again mate it completely boils down to what You want to get out of it. Cos your paying money for the sessions and your putting your body through it all. So yeh what do you want? I mean if your into cage fighting and all as one other the other dudes said before, mixed martial arts is probably better although yeh I see that you have difficulties travelling to them and all. Hmmm my honest opinion is kick boxing still. As a keen martial artist I think kick boxing will be what your looking for. Taekwondo is great I do admit in terms of fast and fancy kicks but man how many of them do you see in a cage?

if you think about it theoretically yeh, as Brucey use to say, the shortest distance between point A to point B is a straight line. So if you can jab/punch fast wouldn't you be able to hit the guy before he even lifts his leg to kick? Seriously kickboxing will really work on your agility and manooverablility. If your willing to put the time in...give it 6 months? you'll start to feel the difference in your precision. Don't get too big headed though k:thumbsup: lol!

P.s. Judo is very interesting but before you go into anything too fancy, start with the basics....throwing good 1-2's clean kicks, learn to TAKE HITS, condition your body....*Rocky Anthem*:whistling:

Original Poster

arsnic_uk;5117901

Thanks for the reps^^Again mate it completely boils down to what You want … Thanks for the reps^^Again mate it completely boils down to what You want to get out of it. Cos your paying money for the sessions and your putting your body through it all. So yeh what do you want? I mean if your into cage fighting and all as one other the other dudes said before, mixed martial arts is probably better although yeh I see that you have difficulties travelling to them and all. Hmmm my honest opinion is kick boxing still. As a keen martial artist I think kick boxing will be what your looking for. Taekwondo is great I do admit in terms of fast and fancy kicks but man how many of them do you see in a cage?if you think about it theoretically yeh, as Brucey use to say, the shortest distance between point A to point B is a straight line. So if you can jab/punch fast wouldn't you be able to hit the guy before he even lifts his leg to kick? Seriously kickboxing will really work on your agility and manooverablility. If your willing to put the time in...give it 6 months? you'll start to feel the difference in your precision. Don't get too big headed though k:thumbsup: lol!P.s. Judo is very interesting but before you go into anything too fancy, start with the basics....throwing good 1-2's clean kicks, learn to TAKE HITS, condition your body....*Rocky Anthem*:whistling:

Yeah thank you very very much, gonna start the kickboxing and see what happens from there! Thanks again!

hahaha no worries. If you have any further questions like, just PM me and ill see what I can do^^

I started Lau kung fu when I was 24. (am 32 now)
    I was interested purely in the art and the self defence side. my uncle has his own club teaching a freestyle version of Kyusho Jutsu (pressure point attacks also known in China as Dim Mak) and I trained with him a few times aswell as attending the seminars he often has, like Grandmaster Rich Mooney of the USA.

it depends on what you personally want out of the art
    do you want to tournament fight?
    are you into the traditional forms/Kata side of things?
    is it for fitness?
    all of the above?

I found my club just by talking to people and going and watching various classes. if a club won't let you observe one session, forget them.
    if the instructor in any way makes you feel intimidated or anything less than comfortable, forget it.

my instructors, Steve East and Geoff Banks have been involved in MA in the North east area for more than 50 years combined.
    when I started I explained that I wasnt interested in competing as winning trophys has no interest for me. what I wanted was knowledge and style.
    I wasnt even bothered about gradings. Sifu East just told me to work at my own pace and that I was free to train with any other clubs and instructors anywhere else too.
    Some clubs will frown on or stop you training other styles.

an ex of mine started TKD lessons and found them to be like doing driving lessons.
    you paid for your uniform,your license and insurance and then 10 lessons at a time.
    their aim is to get you through the syllabus, qualify you as a blackbelt and have you open your own school.
    its very much a business.

Kickboxing is also offerred at our club but i find it very restrictive. its a sport based on a killing art.
    kung fu was designed to kill people. same as Okinawan Karate was and all the trad martial arts.
    in kick boxing you bounce around throwing out the kicks and punches trying to score points.
    BUT its great cardio workout too.

I love the kung fu cos it flows, unlike some of the Japanese and Korean arts.
    I love the forms, the knife, sword and stick sets, but I also love that the moves are all aimed at nerves, vulnerable points like the eyes, groin, throat etc
    theres no need to be sparring for 5x5 min rounds like they do in MMA.
    the trad martial arts like Wing Chun can be way more brutal than MMA if you understand what you're training in.

I don't wanna fight anyone and if I have to, I want it over and done with so I can escape.
    I dont fancy rolling around the floor in some pub grappling away (dont get me wrong, for pros, ground work is essential) but what your MMA clubs fail to mention is that while you're passing someones guard on a stinking pub floor or car park to ground & pound them, his mates are smashing bottles ready to attack and END you.

I've met a lot of very very cocky MMA fighters who have asked me what I'd do to end a fight as a kung fu man.
    my replies are generally things like attacks to the eyes and throat, finger locks, strikes to nerve points aroudn the body.
    all of which are forbidden in MMA fighting.
    MMA is also a sport.

dont get me wrong, any MA style will give you a better chance of defending yourself on the street, so long as you can adapt whats taught in the Dojo, to the street. Go read some Geoff Thompson books.

but don't count out the traditional styles in favour of the sport based ones like kickboxing.
    if you want some serious close range stuff, look at Wing Chun.
    if it wasnt for those trad martial arts, you wouldnt HAVE the sports ones now.

dont settle on the first club you visit. go watch as many different classes as you can reach.

Dam Mak!! Sick=p I use to read about that before I got into wing chun. Cool stuff man! And I completely agree with what you say, martial arts is great for sharpening your sensed and building up your body but when it comes to self defence...your priority is to avoid the situation at all costs as suppose to stand up to it and slug it out. *you should totally see Yip Man the movie by Donny Yen* awesome=p

i saw the Yip Man movie not long ago, was really good stuff. i usually dont like subtitled MA flicks but it was really enjoyable.

yeah my uncle started on karate like 35 years back and moved through aikido, ju jutsu, TKD and various other forms before he started with kyusho through people like rick moneymaker and tom muncy.
    its all based on the same points as used in accupuncture and accupressure massage to divert and block energy flow. it can have a devastating effect on the body. I should know after training with them.

people have scoffed against pressure point stuff saying it wouldnt work in a cage fight against chuck liddel but it wasnt ever meant for match fighting.
    its meant to save your life.
    a strike to the GB20 point on the back of the head along with say ST5 point on the jaw or TW point located behind the ear lobe can knock a person out with very very little effort
    its the knoweldge of the points, the angles struck and in what combination. after that seeing them available on an opponent is just like join the dots
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Moto G5S+ Case11
      2. Cracked windscreen, is it safe and legal to drive?1317
      3. Tooth extraction44
      4. Amazon prime subscribe & save33

See more discussions