Groups

Help with my computer please. Cannot connect to web on main computer but laptops ok?

Hi
    Major problems this weekend caused by trying to get my sons new DSi connected.
    To cut a long story short...couldnt connect seems to be a problem with WEP kep and or IP address.
    I played around on main computer to come up with answers. Think I have a new WEP key but DSi doesnt recognise it. Now the main computer is not connecting but the laptops are still working. This must be something to do with me messing about with the main computer. I was trying to get the network to recognise a new device.
    Does anyone have any answers please. It would have to be explained in simple terms or am i up a creek without a paddle.
    Thanks for any help in advance.
    Just had another look at computer and pressed a button to repair the network problem it says it cant renew the IP adress.

14 Comments

I have similar problems with my choice of wirelss sercuity, some of my machines like one type the other likes another. I've ended up taking the security off and not broadcasting my wirless networks name, Not sure how sercure it is though!

Maybe a new wirless router is in order?

any recommendations for wirless router ppl? or anyother suggestions?

I connected by daughters DSi yesterday. Didn't have any problems just put the wep key in and away it went.
    We have BThome hub. Think it's 64 bit wep encryption.

What op system are you running and also what router?

Original Poster

windows XP and the router is a netgear. WE had no problems with our previous DS's.

Original Poster

Now the main computer seems to be working again...this is getting weirder by the minute.

Can someone just clarify how i check what the WEP is and also the IP address and then i will try to manually put them into the DSi.

Thanks

you need to turn your router over and enter the ip address you see, it is the set of number like 128.1.23.18 etc it will be longer than that though, you then will need to enter the username and password, all netgears are set as defualt to

User name: Admin
    Password: Password

Then look at the left side of the page and choose wireless security (i think thats the option) and then scroll down the page and you will see your WEP key

Original Poster

thanks alot for all your help really appreciate it.

Original Poster

clondikemike;4836226

you need to turn your router over and enter the ip address you see, it is … you need to turn your router over and enter the ip address you see, it is the set of number like 128.1.23.18 etc it will be longer than that though, you then will need to enter the username and password, all netgears are set as defualt to User name: AdminPassword: PasswordThen look at the left side of the page and choose wireless security (i think thats the option) and then scroll down the page and you will see your WEP key

Sorry but what page should i be on to find this on the left hand side.:?

Goofey's Girl;4836712

Sorry but what page should i be on to find this on the left hand side.:?

When you enter the ip address on the bottom of the router that should take you to the setup page from Netgear (hang on im going to access my router as i have a netgear)

Enter your user name and password, you will then see a screen that says "Netgear smart wizard", down the left hand side you will see a selection of options, click on the "wireless settings" option, then scroll down the page and you will see the wep or wap kep code (the one with the check mark in the box is your current security code)

Original Poster

clondikemike;4836804

When you enter the ip address on the bottom of the router that should … When you enter the ip address on the bottom of the router that should take you to the setup page from Netgear (hang on im going to access my router as i have a netgear) Enter your user name and password, you will then see a screen that says "Netgear smart wizard", down the left hand side you will see a selection of options, click on the "wireless settings" option, then scroll down the page and you will see the wep or wap kep code (the one with the check mark in the box is your current security code)

i am sorry....bet you wish you hadnt answered now....but i dont understand how i get to the page you mean...isit off the control panel..internet options ...wireless connections...i understand what you mean once i get there but cant find the page you mean.

Dont worry, what you have to do is (its not from the PC's control panel it is from the internet page)

1.Go to the address bar at the top of the screen when you open the internet (where the site names appear such as [url]www.hotukdeals.com[/url])

2. Type in the address that is printed on the underside of the router, it will be in a format like 192.198.2.1 (you dont have to use www just the numbers)

3. Press enter and it will ask you for your username which should be admin, & your password, which should be password, these as the defaults for netgear routers

4. On the left hand side of the page (should now be the Netgear smart wizard page) choose "wireless settings"

5. Scroll down to the bottom of that page and you will see the wep/wap key settings with a box that has been selected with a circle, next to that will be a series of letters and numbers, this is your wep/wap key, it is also case sensitive so make sure you copy it down exactly with the capitals etc,

Access to your routers settings are done via the internet, you cant change or access the wep/wap key via Windows XP,

Let me know how you get on,

Original Poster

Thanks got that page unfortunately the password isnt correct. It may be who set my computer and network up. I will contact them tomorrow and check if they put a password in for me.
    Thanks for all your help. I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully in a few days we will have all computers and one very happy 10 year old with a connected DSi.

Really appreciate you taking your time.
    Thanks

Really glad that i couldnt have changed the WEP key as that was what i was a little afraid i had done.

Goofey's Girl;4838252

Thanks got that page unfortunately the password isnt correct. It may be … Thanks got that page unfortunately the password isnt correct. It may be who set my computer and network up. I will contact them tomorrow and check if they put a password in for me.Thanks for all your help. I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully in a few days we will have all computers and one very happy 10 year old with a connected DSi.Really appreciate you taking your time.ThanksReally glad that i couldnt have changed the WEP key as that was what i was a little afraid i had done.

Sorry i couldnt help you out with the password, did you get the router from somewhere else, ie not from your ISP? if it was bundled with your broadband service it would be the same, if it was 2nd hand then the previous users will have set a password,

When you are able to access the settings make sure that you generate a new wep/wap key as the old user would still have password access to your router,

Out of interest could you PM me to let me know how you get one, you can call Netgear 24/7 @ 0844 875 4000.

Have a good evening,

cm

Original Poster

Will do it may be a few days as life is a bit hectic at the mo but will let you know. thanks
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …86146
      2. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2226
      3. ** Motorola Moto X Force | Owners Club **32204
      4. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043

See more discussions