The question is
Find 5 numbers that have a range of 5 a median of 16 and a mean of 15

I am demented!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
17 Comments

Banned

i really dont see the value in one of us answering this.If your son doesnt understand how to find the answer then surely he should leave them blank and explain he needs help understanding to the teacher.

What would he do in an exam? he wouldnt have the help of us then.

The third number (middle) is 16.

That's my input for now

All 5 numbers would need to total to 75.

rumblefish;7776143

i really dont see the value in one of us answering this.If your son … i really dont see the value in one of us answering this.If your son doesnt understand how to find the answer then surely he should leave them blank and explain he needs help understanding to the teacher.What would he do in an exam? he wouldnt have the help of us then.

I havent got a clue about the answer, but maybe someone on here could provide the answer and also explain how they got it, that way the kid would understand. Teachers dont always explain things properly

how about they do it them selfs?

Original Poster

He is only 10, and the teachers now a days dont have much time to sit with the kids so they send a parent guide out with the homework.....but to be honest my husband and I ar arguing over who is right and who is going to explain how to do it!

12, 14, 16, 16, 17

Original Poster

MANJ_007;7776165

I havent got a clue about the answer, but maybe someone on here could … I havent got a clue about the answer, but maybe someone on here could provide the answer and also explain how they got it, that way the kid would understand. Teachers dont always explain things properly

Yes thats what I was hoping for:thumbsup:

black gerbil1;7776170

how about they do it them selfs?

nice avi .......... u gonna get raped

Well, if its 5 numbers with a mean of 15:
15 * 5 gives you the total of the numbers = 75

The median (middle one) of those 5 numbers is 16:
75 - 16 = 59.

Range of 5 means that there are only a 5 number gap between the largest and smallest number (Max number - Min number = 5):
Max number could be 21, Min number could be 11.

One possible set is 12 + 13 + 16 + 17 + 17.

That meets all the conditions. Hope that helps.

mean = 15 so total is 75
median, the middle number..
range, diff between lowest and highest

so start with 13, 14,16, 17, 18 = 78..... then trial and error... keeping 16 in the middle..

Original Poster

bishibashi;7776192

Well, if its 5 numbers with a mean of 15:15 * 5 gives you the total of … Well, if its 5 numbers with a mean of 15:15 * 5 gives you the total of the numbers = 75The median (middle one) of those 5 numbers is 16: 75 - 16 = 59.Range of 5 means that there are only a 5 number gap between the largest and smallest number (Max number - Min number = 5):Max number could be 21, Min number could be 11.One possible set is 12 + 13 + 16 + 17 + 17.That meets all the conditions. Hope that helps.

Thanks......stupidly didnt realise to put 2 of the same number, went into halves....then thought this seems a bit difficult for a year 5! Its been a long time since we did this at school. If only the teachers did have time to explain properly to the children but with a class of 30 it must be hard, plus they seem to know it in class but forget totally when they come home!

Original Poster

Does anyone else think this is quite difficult for 9 and 10 year olds??? I seem to remember doing this at secondary school...but then again it was a while ago lol

can the same number be used more than once?

camew;7776277

Thanks......stupidly didnt realise to put 2 of the same number, went into … Thanks......stupidly didnt realise to put 2 of the same number, went into halves....then thought this seems a bit difficult for a year 5! Its been a long time since we did this at school. If only the teachers did have time to explain properly to the children but with a class of 30 it must be hard, plus they seem to know it in class but forget totally when they come home!

I think part of the problem is that kids aren't taught/encouraged to take their own notes in class at an early enough age. That, and the notes that they are given don't give a good enough explanation.

(Just my opinion of course) but when I'm writing notes, I tend to write down the key information relating to a topic (in this case, for a maths problem, I would have an example and explain what each part does - especially useful for an equation)

Original Poster

MANJ_007;7776303

can the same number be used more than once?

Looking at the questio it doesn't say you cant!

I had 12 13.5 16 16.5 and 17.

camew;7776331

Looking at the questio it doesn't say you cant!I had 12 13.5 16 16.5 and … Looking at the questio it doesn't say you cant!I had 12 13.5 16 16.5 and 17.

Fair enough, both answers work and meet criteria - put both down.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Power banks on European flights?1013
    2. Driving anxiety.2944
    3. Ea access code for xbox?22
    4. Best sub £100 and sub £50 android phones?11

See more discussions