Groups

Help with Network set-up

Hi,

I currently have Sky Broadband. I have the black Sky Netgear router which is connected to my phone line downstairs. Connected to this I have my xbox, wii(wirelessly) and occasionnally my ipod touch through wifi. I also have my PC, which is currently connected with wires.

I'm wanting to move my PC upstairs, but ideally i dont want to trail wires upstairs. So i'm looking to try and connect my PC to the Sky router wirelessly. I've seen and heard of them powerline adaptors, which i'd happily buy once i've got the money, but in the meantime i was wondering whether it would be possible to use my white netgear router (which i got when i was with Virgin...model WGR614-9) to act as a kind of wireless adaptor?. I was planning to wirelessly connect the white netgear router to the black one downstairs...then connect the PC to the white router upstairs with wires.

Would that work? and if so...how??

6 Comments

it is possible but i have never do it. Its called a wireless bridge and depends on the routers in question.
    Heres a link that explains how to do it and provides the needed software.
    you need to install new firmware to the router so it may brick your old router so be careful.

]http//ww…ge/

Just buy a pci wireless card or a usb wifi dongle abut £6

Original Poster

ErrorOperator;7778516

it is possible but i have never do it. Its called a wireless bridge and … it is possible but i have never do it. Its called a wireless bridge and depends on the routers in question.Heres a link that explains how to do it and provides the needed software.you need to install new firmware to the router so it may brick your old router so be careful.]http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-turn-an-old-router-into-a-wireless-bridge/

Thanks for this...but doesnt appear as though my router is supported. It's saying the update for my router is a work in progress :x

Wireless dongle would work, that's what i did, about a tenner for a Netgear one. Depends what you want to do with it, streaming HD would be a no-no

I have some powerline adapters for sale on here

Original Poster

sancho1983;7779078

Wireless dongle would work, that's what i did, about a tenner for a … Wireless dongle would work, that's what i did, about a tenner for a Netgear one. Depends what you want to do with it, streaming HD would be a no-noI have some powerline adapters for sale on here

Made an offer on your powerline adaptors.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33
      2. DICKINSONS REAL DEAL £25,000 COMPETITION22
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1111
      4. Tv choice magazine Issue 391515

See more discussions