Groups

Help with new laptop pls

Hello all,
    Received my new laptop today (thx shanecr) and i haven't got a clue how to connect it to the internet.
    I have a wireless router and don't know how to make the laptop recognise it. I'm really not technical at all so if anyone knows what i need to do, can you tell me in simple terms please.
    Thanks in advance
    Lynds xx

42 Comments

Banned

What laptop is it would help those who don't know how shanecr helped you

Banned

if you lappy is wi-fi capable just turn on ya wifi key, is it a dell

Its a toshiba on xp. there should be an icon bottom right,looks like a little monitor, right click it and select 'connect to a network' A screen should appear showing networks available in your area and then just select the one that is yours. it will try to connect and the probably ask for a key...wep/wpa. put that in (found on bottom of router sometimes) and that hopefully should be it.

Original Poster

its a toshiba and he has just told me there is a button on the front which i switch it on by :?
    alan is having a look now

Banned

oh right, when i saw shanes name assumed it was a dell - lol

sassie;4437214

oh right, when i saw shanes name assumed it was a dell - lol

lol the toshiba is my fiancees old laptop, she moved to netbooks a while ago, started with an eee 701 now she has a aspire one (pink...for valentines)

Banned

shanecr;4437239

lol the toshiba is my fiancees old laptop, she moved to netbooks a while … lol the toshiba is my fiancees old laptop, she moved to netbooks a while ago, started with an eee 701 now she has a aspire one (pink...for valentines)

****** i missed that, bet it has xp on it too :x

Original Poster

done all that and it's not doing owt :?

Banned

sassie;4437249

****** i missed that, bet it has xp on it too :x

There is an XP mini edition built specifically for the Aspire One on pirate bay. Gives really good instructions on putting XP onto the notebook. I did it for a mate at work free of course

]http//ww…spx

maybe that will help. can you even find any networks?

Original Poster

yeah can find a few networks and i clicked on one that said broadband, put the key thingy in and it was trying to connect and then went back to choose a network
    we got a disk with out router, would i need to put that in?

Banned

lyndsbowes;4437334

yeah can find a few networks and i clicked on one that said broadband, … yeah can find a few networks and i clicked on one that said broadband, put the key thingy in and it was trying to connect and then went back to choose a networkwe got a disk with out router, would i need to put that in?

was it your network you where trying to connect to, it sounds like if you put in the right key that you tried to connect to your neighbours - lol

Original Poster

sassie;4437347

was it your network you where trying to connect to, it sounds like if you … was it your network you where trying to connect to, it sounds like if you put in the right key that you tried to connect to your neighbours - lol

lol i dont know.... came up with options like; broadband, christmas, bt hub, and other bt ones and ours isn't bt and i don't even know what christmas means so i tried broadband :?

lyndsbowes;4437334

yeah can find a few networks and i clicked on one that said broadband, … yeah can find a few networks and i clicked on one that said broadband, put the key thingy in and it was trying to connect and then went back to choose a networkwe got a disk with out router, would i need to put that in?

did you press the 'pair' button on the router?

is the computer you are using now connected wirelessly? try putting into your browser 192.168.1.1 that should access your router. It will prob ask for a login (default usually admin and password) and from there you can check if your router is allowing itself to be found and what its ssid is

Original Poster

shanecr;4437370

did you press the 'pair' button on the router?

errr no.... there is a round black button on the router but has nothing written by it

Banned

lyndsbowes;4437367

lol i dont know.... came up with options like; broadband, christmas, bt … lol i dont know.... came up with options like; broadband, christmas, bt hub, and other bt ones and ours isn't bt and i don't even know what christmas means so i tried broadband :?

when you click view available networks, all wireless in your area will show up, hence why you have a key, on the bottom of router mine says what mine is called, like wanadoo 3452 so when searched and they come up thats mine, also as shane said did you press the pairing button on router

Banned

lyndsbowes;4437367

lol i dont know.... came up with options like; broadband, christmas, bt … lol i dont know.... came up with options like; broadband, christmas, bt hub, and other bt ones and ours isn't bt and i don't even know what christmas means so i tried broadband :?

You don't know the name of your own router...wow you must be blonde :w00t:

sassie;4437387

when you click view available networks, all wireless in your area will … when you click view available networks, all wireless in your area will show up, hence why you have a key, on the bottom of router mine says what mine is called, like wanadoo 3452 so when searched and they come up thats mine, also as shane said did you press the pairing button on router

indeed, mine is also wanadoo- something, usually the default name is the brand of router and a number. unless someone has changed it.

Banned

i take it the router had already been set up and you are just adding the lappy to it?

Original Poster

sassie;4437387

when you click view available networks, all wireless in your area will … when you click view available networks, all wireless in your area will show up, hence why you have a key, on the bottom of router mine says what mine is called, like wanadoo 3452 so when searched and they come up thats mine, also as shane said did you press the pairing button on router

mine says thomson but didn't show that up in the options. do i press the button before i do the searching???
    sorry i'm so confused

Original Poster

sassie;4437429

i take it the router had already been set up and you are just adding the … i take it the router had already been set up and you are just adding the lappy to it?

yes sorry

Original Poster

lumoruk;4437394

You don't know the name of your own router...wow you must be blonde :w00t:

:oops: pls dont make fun of me

is the computer you are using now connected wirelessly? try putting into your browser 192.168.1.1 that should access your router. It will prob ask for a login (default usually admin and password) and from there you can check if your router is allowing itself to be found and what its ssid is

also, yes, trying pressing the button first.

Lynds. Did you put the disc in? My son is saying you need to do that.

Banned

lyndsbowes;4437433

mine says thomson but didn't show that up in the options. do i press the … mine says thomson but didn't show that up in the options. do i press the button before i do the searching??? sorry i'm so confused

what is your router? and who is you internet with

Banned

rosie2008;4437453

Lynds. Did you put the disc in? My son is saying you need to do that.

no she doesnt need to do that, her router is already set up

Banned

easiest way is to to right click on the internet connection on the computer already using the net, that way it will show you what connection you looking for without going inot router

right click on internet conection (in bottom righ hand corner of screen - mines a little monitor icon) and then choose vie available wireless networlks (on computer that already in use)

sassie;4437477

easiest way is to to right click on the internet connection on the … easiest way is to to right click on the internet connection on the computer already using the net, that way it will show you what connection you looking for without going inot routerright click on internet conection and then choose vie available wireless networlks (on computer that already in use)

genius, simple too lol.

I had a problem when I was setting mine up. I ended up phoning my internet provider and they gave me instructions. Was sorted in about a minute. good luck:thumbsup:

Banned

shanecr;4437489

genius, simple too lol.

I have me moments :thumbsup:

Original Poster

sassie;4437454

what is your router? and who is you internet with

router is thomson st585 v6 and internet is with aol.... but we use windows explorer

Original Poster

rosie2008;4437495

I had a problem when I was setting mine up. I ended up phoning my … I had a problem when I was setting mine up. I ended up phoning my internet provider and they gave me instructions. Was sorted in about a minute. good luck:thumbsup:

thx hun :thumbsup: only problem is phone is on incoming calls only :roll:

:

lyndsbowes;4437528

router is thomson st585 v6 and internet is with aol.... but we use … router is thomson st585 v6 and internet is with aol.... but we use windows explorer

snap. if you dont get it sorted. phone aol:thumbsup:

Banned

follow post 28 hun, then it will show you what one you need to connect to when you try to connect on new lappy, if you got msn add me and will try to walk you through it

ok ignore the msn bit, as it wont let me sign in

lyndsbowes;4437541

thx hun :thumbsup: only problem is phone is on incoming calls only :roll:

ooops

Aol huh?? I think you need to access the router (192.168.1.1 usually) for definate, there is an option to tell it to allow incoming pairings before anything will work. My cousin had similar problem and he was on aol.

Banned

lynds if you need to access the router i cannot help you, i only just about know how to sort my own out, im sorry

Original Poster

sorry i went missing everyone alan took control of everything and i am now typing from my laptop wohoooooooooo will rep you all later but right now i'm going out. cheers everyone xxx

lyndsbowes;4438285

sorry i went missing everyone alan took control of everything and i am … sorry i went missing everyone alan took control of everything and i am now typing from my laptop wohoooooooooo will rep you all later but right now i'm going out. cheers everyone xxx

:thumbsup:

Glad its all sorted.

lyndsbowes;4438285

sorry i went missing everyone alan took control of everything and i am … sorry i went missing everyone alan took control of everything and i am now typing from my laptop wohoooooooooo will rep you all later but right now i'm going out. cheers everyone xxx

Yeaaaah. Well done Alan.. Have a nice night Lynds................ Expect we`ll hear more later:whistling: lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any PS4 News Here29313807
      2. Walker crisps22
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767532
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!563843

See more discussions