Groups

Help with O2 Refresh Contract - Cancelling Airtime

Hi,
    Ive got myself into a bit of a predicament and was hoping you guys could possibly help me out. I took out an airtime contract, paid of the device in full and attempted to cancel the airtime within my 14 day cooling off period.
    I was told by the representatives on the phone, including a manager, that I would have to give 30 days notice and couldn't cancel the airtime as part of my 14 days statuary right because it was taken out as part of a 'product' and id already paid the phone off. I argued the point in which thier terms clearly state that:

a)The right you have to
    withdraw from this Credit Agreement does not affect your agreement for the purchase of the
    Device (which is governed by the Pay Monthly Mobile Agreement (including the Equipment
    Agreement)).

b) 8.2 This Agreement can be ended by either you or by us giving at least 30 days' Notice (in line with paragraph 19). Unless your statutory rights allow otherwise, y ou must pay us any outstanding Charges, including the Charges for this notice period.

I argued these points with three different people for around an hour but they all came out with the same point of it being a combined 'product' so i would have to return the phone which I couldnt because id now paid it off.

Any help would be much appreciated.

16 Comments

Original Poster

Just to be clear I have now cancelled the contract giving 30 days notice.
    Stupid of me i know but I felt like i had little choice.

You should have phoned back spoke to someone else and cancelled under the 14 day cooling off period...

Original Poster

abbss12 m ago

You should have phoned back spoke to someone else and cancelled under the …You should have phoned back spoke to someone else and cancelled under the 14 day cooling off period...

Thanks for the reply. I did try this but they all seemed pretty well versed in the 'product' thing.

You can only cancel in the 14 days if you give them the handsets back - you cant expect to keep them at a discount price, so if you hadnt paid for them you could just havent sent them back but as you have paid for them you cant as thats you accepted the contract is suitable
    Edited by: "jase.2" 17th Jun

Original Poster

jase.21 m ago

You can only cancel in the 14 days if you give them the handsets back - …You can only cancel in the 14 days if you give them the handsets back - you cant expect to keep them at a discount price

If this is right then I have no problem paying the extra £20. But from what others have said on here (which convinced me to take one out in the first place) this should not be the case.

I've had a o2 refresh deal in the past where I paid for the handset and cancelled the airtime...
    No problems...

Original Poster

abbss12 m ago

I've had a o2 refresh deal in the past where I paid for the handset and …I've had a o2 refresh deal in the past where I paid for the handset and cancelled the airtime...No problems...

I wonder if they have perhaps been told not to let you do this anymore. Have written a complaint to O2 and if they reiterate will write to the ombusdman.

14 day cooling off period...

14 day cooling off period...
    It's the law they must cancel...

even if you gave them 30 days notice-request your pac code, and as soon as it ports over, the airtime ends. Personally never had any issues cancelling 3 refresh deals-1 of which was outside the 14 day period.

I had major issues cancelling my contract . I bought the device outright and then tried to cancel the airtime under the 14 day rule . Their call handler accepted the cancellation but 2 further monthly debits were taken by o2 which I stupidly didn't notice. I rang again and said I had already cancelled the airtime.... 14 days later , there's a debit of over £300 taken from my bank . The call handlers will promise you anything just to get you off the line. Anyway it took almost 4 months to get all my money back . It's a major ball ache, I think it all depends on who you speak to . My problem was eventually sorted out via live chat, that way it's all evidenced and they can't deny anything. Good luck .

I paid the one month airtime when I cancelled the airtime in February on the Sony X Compact deal as I also had to give 30 day notice. I didn't see any problem with it as I got the phone for a good price and one month airtime was £3.

Edited by: "devilsadv0cate" 18th Jun

u can cancel, I done exactly the same in jan this year. tell them that the signal in the main area u r using is either poor or sporadic. it took ages for them but use the online chat and keep email copies or printouts as they will try everything.
    I ended up having money taken out even after they confirmed the cancellation, I complained like mad, used resolver - didn't help. kept on chat and phone each day, got all cash back and some extra for all the hassle. the 14day period is a hassle free process that they offer supposedly without any commitment.
    Don't take no for an answer.

I had the same problem after talking to several ppl who were all adamant you have to give 30 days notice that's what I had to do as they left me with no other choice no one would accept 14 days notice

I think they are cracking down on this now. I had the same problem, Argued for ages but no budging so had to give the 30 days notice.

those taking out O2 refresh need to get on live chat and confirm this before taking the contract out and have the transcript emailed to themselves so you have proof to bank you up.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73844453
      2. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1957
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?24
      4. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value26

See more discussions