Groups

Help with opening pictures from my documents

Please help, recently when I try to open pictures stored in My Documents, I usually get the message 'Invalid or corrupt jar file c; documents.......' I don't know why this comes up, I can't recall deleting any software,
    Rep added to the person who can resolve it,
    cheers in advance

10 Comments

Banned

this isnt an image. a jar file is a java package file... its a program.

try this... right click file >> open with >> microsoft pic and fax viewer

also can you tell us the extension of the file..

is it "imagename.jpg" or .jpeg or .gif or .bmp? if it is .jar then it is not an image

Original Poster

imranmaz;2057997

this isnt an image. a jar file is a java package file... its a … this isnt an image. a jar file is a java package file... its a program.try this... right click file >> open with >> microsoft pic and fax vieweralso can you tell us the extension of the file..is it "imagename.jpg" or .jpeg or .gif or .bmp? if it is .jar then it is not an image

Yes, sorry its a jpeg

Banned

skusey;2058026

Yes, sorry its a jpeg

try open with... and pick internet explorer
    does it only happen with one image or all?

Banned

try to reply quickly as i'm just about to log off..

I think I know what's gonig on. At some point, some program that loads .jar files (could be anything) decided to associate itself with .jpeg images for some reason.
    So, when you double click the .jpg, instead of windows trying to display it, it's sending it to the other program and that program is complaining about it not being a .jar file.
    It's not all that uncommon and it's easily fixed.

Right click one of the images, any of them will do and select "Open with...".
    A list will appear, scroll down it until you find "Microsft Picture and Fax Viewier". Select it, tick the "always use this program" box and hit ok. The picture should open and all future pictures should open properly =)

Original Poster

imranmaz;2058043

try to reply quickly as i'm just about to log off..

OK, sorted noe REP added:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Kushan;2058049

I think I know what's gonig on. At some point, some program that loads … I think I know what's gonig on. At some point, some program that loads .jar files (could be anything) decided to associate itself with .jpeg images for some reason. So, when you double click the .jpg, instead of windows trying to display it, it's sending it to the other program and that program is complaining about it not being a .jar file.It's not all that uncommon and it's easily fixed.Right click one of the images, any of them will do and select "Open with...".A list will appear, scroll down it until you find "Microsft Picture and Fax Viewier". Select it, tick the "always use this program" box and hit ok. The picture should open and all future pictures should open properly =)

Sorted, REP added:thumbsup:

Banned

good good!

what was the problem in the end?

Original Poster

imranmaz;2058076

good good! what was the problem in the end?

As you suggested previousl, plus this;:thumbsup:
    Right click one of the images, any of them will do and select "Open with...".
    A list will appear, scroll down it until you find "Microsft Picture and Fax Viewier". Select it, tick the "always use this program" box and hit ok. The picture should open and all future pictures should open properly =)

You're welcome, no problem =)

I had a similar problem with a Java editing program called jEdit that decided to claim all of my video files. It didn't just claim ownership of them, it actually edited the right-click menu so that it was the default option (instead of the "open" button) meaning that you couldn't easily fix it.
    In despiration I uninstalled jEdit and it stole the "open" button on all .avi files in the process! This meant the default action for double clicking was "open with..." meaning EVERY SINGLE TIME I opened a file, the open with menu would appear.

Had to reinstall Windows Media Player to fix it. Absolute joke.

Anyhoo, glad you got it sorted =)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020

See more discussions