Expired

Help with PC- Blank red screen @ desktop Is it a virus?

Found 12th Nov 2009
Wondered if anyone can help me with my PC

I think its got a virus, although I did have AVG antivirus software on there before. But the problem now is that I get a blank red screen everytime it goes to the desktop, and I can't see any icons, then a security tools and windows defender application comes up saying I have this many viruses etc and to remove them, but you have to register/enter a key and buy them, so I think they are part of the virus, tried starting my PC in safe mode, but get the same blank red screen, When i turn on the PC all the login user accounts dont show, only one window pops up for the compag adminstrator saying to enter password...then logs on and goes to the desktop, in which the red screen appears.

8 Comments

hello - is there anything on there that you need to keep? eg. photos that you dont have stored elsewhere - if not when you power on and the set up screen appears keep pressing alt then F10 vigorously and it will do a factory restall ie. back to how you originally got the pc. did you have windows on it when you got it if you didnt do not do the above but if you did and dont mind reloading all what you have on there like adobe, avg - which has always worked ok for me (no viruses as yet) try the above!!!

juliesbargains;6872607

hello - is there anything on there that you need to keep? eg. photos that … hello - is there anything on there that you need to keep? eg. photos that you dont have stored elsewhere -[COLOR="Red"] if not when you power on and the set up screen appears keep pressing alt then F10 vigorously and it will do a factory restall ie. back to how you originally got the pc[/COLOR]. did you have windows on it when you got it if you didnt do not do the above but if you did and dont mind reloading all what you have on there like adobe, avg - which has always worked ok for me (no viruses as yet) try the above!!!

Eh? You sure?

it will only do that IF it's a specific model, Toshibe or Dell or something similar.

What you need if you dont know how to do it yourself is get someone to fix your computer.
It's easy enough to save all your items on there, and unlikely to need reformatting, as long as the person knows what they are doing.

Original Poster

juliesbargains;6872607

hello - is there anything on there that you need to keep? eg. photos that … hello - is there anything on there that you need to keep? eg. photos that you dont have stored elsewhere - if not when you power on and the set up screen appears keep pressing alt then F10 vigorously and it will do a factory restall ie. back to how you originally got the pc. did you have windows on it when you got it if you didnt do not do the above but if you did and dont mind reloading all what you have on there like adobe, avg - which has always worked ok for me (no viruses as yet) try the above!!!

Don't really wanna format it, unless I had too.

karenhornby;6872727

it will only do that IF it's a specific model, Toshibe or Dell or … it will only do that IF it's a specific model, Toshibe or Dell or something similar.What you need if you dont know how to do it yourself is get someone to fix your computer.It's easy enough to save all your items on there, and unlikely to need reformatting, as long as the person knows what they are doing.

Thats what I think i'll do, gonna take it to a computer fair, for someone to have a look at, just wondering if anyone has had the same problem before, and if it is definately a virus or something... :? lol

you're better off taking it to a PC repair shop, a fair is just mainyl for selling cheap parts or trading in.

and next time, use something better than AVG, its terrible. not the pot of gold its made out to be on here, just cos its free.
if it was so great they wouldnt do a premium version, or they would charge instead of giving it away free.

read the majority of 'helpe me please my computer is doing this" threads on here and they'll just about all have someone who has AVG free and has gotten a virus or some nasty crap on their machine and cant get rid of it.

then i'll also be attacked cos theres the ton of people who will say "well i've never had a problem with AVG and used it for a million years"

Original Poster

slackrat77;6873000

you're better off taking it to a PC repair shop, a fair is just mainyl … you're better off taking it to a PC repair shop, a fair is just mainyl for selling cheap parts or trading in.and next time, use something better than AVG, its terrible. not the pot of gold its made out to be on here, just cos its free.if it was so great they wouldnt do a premium version, or they would charge instead of giving it away free.read the majority of 'helpe me please my computer is doing this" threads on here and they'll just about all have someone who has AVG free and has gotten a virus or some nasty crap on their machine and cant get rid of it.then i'll also be attacked cos theres the ton of people who will say "well i've never had a problem with AVG and used it for a million years"

lol, thanks for the advice, maybe I should look into getting different anti-virus software for my laptop then, at the computer fair i've been to before, they have 2 engineer ppl there, who i'm sure could fix the problem, as they have done so for me before with other computer problems.

good, sounds like a plan.

i been using Eset Smart Security for years and my PC is on 24/7, no problems EVER

I found teh new Microsoft Security Essentials is extremely good.

I used to run Eset Business all the time but lately I've only been using the Microsoft one and its' every bit as good.

The only thing that needs doing is to go into settings, Advanced, and tick the box that says Scan Removable Drives.

As it's free as well this makes it even better
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What stereo cable is this? (Please click to view image)11
    2. Driving anxiety.2947
    3. Best phone for spec- canada and uk?22
    4. Recover WIN 10 on HP Laptop46

See more discussions