Help with personal storage.

Found 20th Apr
I want to set up a hard drive in the house that will be accessible via WiFi. I know there are a couple of different solutions but don't know how well they work. I want to be able to use it for viewing photos and video and listening to music. I have a virgin superhub 3. I have a Nvidia shield TV I want to link to it and want to use my phone, tablet and laptop to access it also. Any help appreciated thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Tried plugging a usb hard drive into the router ?
I've done it before with my e4200 router. I would check to see if you router supports it.
kester766 h, 32 m ago

I've done it before with my e4200 router. I would check to see if you …I've done it before with my e4200 router. I would check to see if you router supports it.

Tbh I don't even have a hard drive to try yet, that's the reason I stated which router I have. Can I test it with a memory stick?
No usb on hub 3..you need to buy a my cloud. That will do the job as an out the box solution however. Listening to a podcast recently they discussed this and backups. There is an argument to just pay for online storage like Dropbox or onedrive and the many others available. Guess there is a cost either way and your own hardware could fail in time so storing off site and let others worry about storage. Maybe your own with some off site in cloud may work. I like Dropbox myself and you can try that for free
Edited by: "wayners" 21st Apr
Just buy a NAS. Which one depends on your budget but any Consumer NAS will do what you need. If you go for a dual bay one it will allow two Hard drives to be installed allowing you to use RAID 1, this mirrors the data across both disks offering some protection against data loss should 1 of the drives fail.
Best option: synology NAS
Most cost effective option: Raspberry or orange pi and USB HDD
Wildcard and cheapest option: Buy a talk talk huawei hg633 off ebay, use it as a AP with added samba file feature coupled with USB HDD.
Edited by: "mogsog" 21st Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants