Help with picking a cheap tower pc *noobie*

Posted 10th Apr
Hello
Could someone please give me some tips in what tower pc to buy?
I already have a pc with monitor etc but it’s really slow and unusable.
I just want to buy a cheap second hand tower pc from maybe eBay for £80 or under just to do some light gaming on and browse the internet.
What should I be looking for?
I don’t get all the RAM DDR3 i3 etc
So any advice would be great!!
Thank you so much
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
For £80 I doubt you’ll run any games.
Your better off upgrading your current PC if it’s not too bad.
Send the specification of your current PC and we can suggest what to upgrade within your £80 budget.
Chances are a £25 SSD will get your current pc running smoothly again 🏽
maneshapps10/04/2020 12:24

For £80 I doubt you’ll run any games.Your better off upgrading your cu …For £80 I doubt you’ll run any games.Your better off upgrading your current PC if it’s not too bad.Send the specification of your current PC and we can suggest what to upgrade within your £80 budget.Chances are a £25 SSD will get your current pc running smoothly again 🏽

Thank you
As above try ssd...had an old dell Inspiron 530 stuck an ssd in and reinstalled w10,made a huge difference.
maneshapps10/04/2020 12:24

For £80 I doubt you’ll run any games.Your better off upgrading your cu …For £80 I doubt you’ll run any games.Your better off upgrading your current PC if it’s not too bad.Send the specification of your current PC and we can suggest what to upgrade within your £80 budget.Chances are a £25 SSD will get your current pc running smoothly again 🏽

Did you get the pictures?
Thanks
i3, i5, i7 is just a class of processor. A bit like a Volkswagon Golf, you have a Golf, Golf TDi, Golf plus etc. Generally an i5 is better than an i3 but there are a few processors that are exceptions. A 10th generation 2020 (the newest generation) i3 processor might be faster than a 1st generation 2009 (the first ever generation) i5.

DDR2, DDR3, DDR4 are again classes. DDR3 RAM speed is much faster than DDR2 and so on. Within each class (i.e. DDR2, DDR3) there is a speed associated with each one. A DDR3 RAM stick might have a speed of 1333Mhz, perhaps higher even. This increases with DDR4

Note that the motherboard, which the processor and RAM sit on, must be able to support the processor and RAM
Each processor has a "socket" type. Mine is a LGA1151 socket. This processor socket will only fit with a motherboard that has a 1151 socket. Every processor & motherboard will state which socket they support.

This is the same for RAM. The Motherboard might say "supports DDR3 up to 1600mhz". You can put in DDR3 RAM that is faster than this but the motherboard will slow it down to what it is capable of. You can NOT put DDR4 RAM in a DDR3 slot.

I use this website's benchmark tool to compare CPU's and GPU's (graphics cards). It includes prices too ($)
passmark.com/
Edited by: "FantasticGrape" 10th Apr
As first OP says, depending on what you have already, and assuming its not a relic from 20 years ago, then an SSD is a great upgrade, and then perhaps look for a cheapo 750 on ebay, again depending on how good your PSU is, and whether the motherboard and case has room. Could do with knowing what spec you have already.

Or just get a £50 fire HD 8 tablet and spend the other £30 on geforce now and a cheap bluetooth controller
It won’t let me send a picture from my phone
I’ll type it instead.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor
RAM 2GB
Windows C: 74.9GB
D: 390GB
eboydk10/04/2020 13:35

I’ll type it instead.AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor RAM 2GB

Ok great, this is a dual core CPU, not amazing but not horrendous.
See if you can grab yourself a 120GB SSD purely to install Windows on.
This will speed up your computer loading times drastically and make it feel snappy again.

Then spend whatever is left of your budget on a Graphics Card.
If you spent £20 on a 120GB SSD, you’ll have £60 (if you can do more then better) to spend on a Graphics Card (GPU)
You might be able to grab a good deal on eBay for a second hand GTX 970 which will run a lot of modern games.

Ideally also, if you don’t mind putting another £20 towards it, you can upgrade that 2GB RAM to at least 4GB, or even better, ideally 6GB or 8GB, then that will help a lot too.
I imagine your motherboard will support DDR3 RAM which is quite cheap these days.

If you can find out the make and model of your motherboard we might be able to help 🏽
Edited by: "maneshapps" 10th Apr
It's a 15 year old CPU, tbh I probably wouldn't upgrade it. The motherboard is probably sata I only and while in theory modern SSDs should be compatible quite often there are issues.

I think I'd retire that machine, try your luck on Freecycle for someone giving away 3rd gen i5 machines or later. We got rid of a load recently. Ask on facebook etc.
You could pick up a quad core i5 pc on ebay like this: ebay.co.uk/itm…005
m3racer12310/04/2020 16:19

You could pick up a quad core i5 pc on ebay like this: …You could pick up a quad core i5 pc on ebay like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OFFER-HP-6300-SFF-Core-i5-3470-4-x-3-20GHz-3GB-500GB-DVD-RW-PC-Desktop/392751931005

I don’t think these fit standard size GPU’s in though do they?
maneshapps10/04/2020 15:10

Ok great, this is a dual core CPU, not amazing but not horrendous.See if …Ok great, this is a dual core CPU, not amazing but not horrendous.See if you can grab yourself a 120GB SSD purely to install Windows on.This will speed up your computer loading times drastically and make it feel snappy again.Then spend whatever is left of your budget on a Graphics Card.If you spent £20 on a 120GB SSD, you’ll have £60 (if you can do more then better) to spend on a Graphics Card (GPU)You might be able to grab a good deal on eBay for a second hand GTX 970 which will run a lot of modern games. Ideally also, if you don’t mind putting another £20 towards it, you can upgrade that 2GB RAM to at least 4GB, or even better, ideally 6GB or 8GB, then that will help a lot too.I imagine your motherboard will support DDR3 RAM which is quite cheap these days.If you can find out the make and model of your motherboard we might be able to help 🏽

Thank you so much
Athlon 64 X2,that could be on a Socket 939, AM2 or AM2+ platform, using DDR2 memory - Speccy ccleaner.com/speccy will get some more info.
CEX stocks of some older memory are beginning to decline, but 1GB sticks are dirt cheap and 2GB are pretty reasonable - if your operating system is X86 - 32 bit rather than X64 - 64 bit, then it would only make sense to use 2x2 or 4x1 sticks (if memory slots) - existing config may be 2x1 or 4x 0.5.

If AM2 or AM2+ Then CEX have a single AMD Phenom X3 8550 2.2GHz in stock at £3

NB. since these predate the AMD FX architecture, they lack the modern instruction set, so while they may run Fortnite, they cannot run Apex Legends.

It's not very future proof, but may have scope to beef it up a bit very cheaply, which may give a feel for how much further yiu may need to go.
Look for an hp 8300 with an i3 or an i5. Try to get 8Gb of ram though this is an easy and cheap upgrade.

If you get the middle sized one SFF not USFF you can fit a low profile graphics card that doesn't need extra power cables, such as a GTX 750ti or a GTX 1050ti and have a competent if basic gaming pc.The hp 230w power supply can't run anything more powerful and is lacking the extra pcie cable for a stronger card. The case is only half height, so the card must be low profile to fit.

You tube video guide (turn the sound down): youtu.be/bet…gUI

A cheap ssd drive would make it faster and is an easy upgrade though a standard hdd will do if you are saving money.
Jackdaws11/04/2020 01:26

Look for an hp 8300 with an i3 or an i5. Try to get 8Gb of ram though this …Look for an hp 8300 with an i3 or an i5. Try to get 8Gb of ram though this is an easy and cheap upgrade.If you get the middle sized one SFF not USFF you can fit a low profile graphics card that doesn't need extra power cables, such as a GTX 750ti or a GTX 1050ti and have a competent if basic gaming pc.The hp 230w power supply can't run anything more powerful and is lacking the extra pcie cable for a stronger card. The case is only half height, so the card must be low profile to fit.You tube video guide (turn the sound down): https://youtu.be/bet_CCPQgUIA cheap ssd drive would make it faster and is an easy upgrade though a standard hdd will do if you are saving money.

Thank you
matth999910/04/2020 23:44

Athlon 64 X2,that could be on a Socket 939, AM2 or AM2+ platform, using …Athlon 64 X2,that could be on a Socket 939, AM2 or AM2+ platform, using DDR2 memory - Speccy https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy will get some more info.CEX stocks of some older memory are beginning to decline, but 1GB sticks are dirt cheap and 2GB are pretty reasonable - if your operating system is X86 - 32 bit rather than X64 - 64 bit, then it would only make sense to use 2x2 or 4x1 sticks (if memory slots) - existing config may be 2x1 or 4x 0.5.If AM2 or AM2+ Then CEX have a single AMD Phenom X3 8550 2.2GHz in stock at £3NB. since these predate the AMD FX architecture, they lack the modern instruction set, so while they may run Fortnite, they cannot run Apex Legends.It's not very future proof, but may have scope to beef it up a bit very cheaply, which may give a feel for how much further yiu may need to go.

Thank you
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions