Groups

Help with playing DVD's in the dvd on my computer

I get an error message up saying that it needs a "compatible dvd decoder". If i click on web help it tells me i have 3 options that i could pay for plug in to sort the problem. Has anyone got a FREE alternative or is it not working because i have done something wrong.

I have only had this problem since i have gone from XP to VISTA

13 Comments

have you got a software dvd player e.g. media player or power dvd?

did you originally have power dvd or windvd installed? you need a software decoder as windows media player doesnt decode dvd as far as i know

I hear a lot of people go for media player classic - don't think it's anything to do with the Microsoft one - and i believe it's a free download. Failing that there's always VLC player too

]vlc ......

which version of vista are you running? just looked here webuser.co.uk/spe…tml and apparently only basic doesnt have a dvd decoder in it

Original Poster

jayhab;1845117

have you got a software dvd player e.g. media player or power dvd?

I used to have the power dvd and it just used to come up when i inserted the disc so i had no problem.
    I googled the error message and tried to download something and before it would continue it told me i have real player installed and this was an alternative SO i then tried to open the dvd in real player but got the same message in that. I dont know that much about computers so im a bit stuck. I tend to just keep trying different things to get it to work so i will try your suggestion below for starters thanks

ps. that avatar picture or yours jayhab just freaks me out:|

Original Poster

united002;1845154

which version of vista are you running? just looked here … which version of vista are you running? just looked here http://www.webuser.co.uk/specials/170426.html and apparently only basic doesnt have a dvd decoder in it

Yes im am only running basic

have you got the power dvd disc? or was it pre installed? if you have install that

Original Poster

united002;1845209

have you got the power dvd disc? or was it pre installed? if you have … have you got the power dvd disc? or was it pre installed? if you have install that

Thanks for that, i will have a look through my draw and see if i still have the power dvd:)

Maybe it's just vista. There are a few problems with it...

miffy121;1845230

Thanks for that, i will have a look through my draw and see if i still … Thanks for that, i will have a look through my draw and see if i still have the power dvd:)

your welcome :thumbsup:

The cole2k media pack from here cole2k.net/ includes dvd decoders, media player classic and a number of other useful codecs...

Original Poster

I have downloaded VLC and i have got it to work on their thanks everyone
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      2. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      3. love affairs912
      4. word association Game73844475

See more discussions