Expired

Help with polishing my black car

Found 27th Apr 2014
Hi everyone I'm looking for some advice on polishing my car. I have a 2007 astra sri 5 door in black. I was looking at getting the car mopped and polished and was wondering if anybody know of a decent body shop in or around the preston area any advice is greatly appreciated
Community Updates
AskCar
30 Comments
I dont kno any good bodyshops around preston but, you could hand polish the car yourself?

It's likely a bodyshop ''mop'' will leave the car with plenty holograms, this will only make the car look bad in well lit/sunny conditions.

What is the reason for getting it polished?
Original Poster
mintcondition

I dont kno any good bodyshops around preston but, you could hand polish … I dont kno any good bodyshops around preston but, you could hand polish the car yourself?It's likely a bodyshop ''mop'' will leave the car with plenty holograms, this will only make the car look bad in well lit/sunny conditions.What is the reason for getting it polished?

Hi I get the car washed on a regular basis and noticed it has lost some shine. What Polish would recommend mopping at a body shop shouldn't leave any marks as it takes a small layer of paint off. I was thinking about maybe using clay polish
A clay is a substance used to remove bonded contaminants from the vehicle surface.

A good hand polish would be t-cut metallic or autoglym super resin polish.

When bodyshops polish cars they basically rush the stages of polishing. This results in the polish not being able to properly break down, which will then leave holograms in the paint.
You will be surprised at the results you can achieve from hand polishing the car and then sealing it with a good wax or sealant.

I recommend autoglym super resin polish & autoglym extra gloss protection.
mintcondition

You will be surprised at the results you can achieve from hand polishing … You will be surprised at the results you can achieve from hand polishing the car and then sealing it with a good wax or sealant.I recommend autoglym super resin polish & autoglym extra gloss protection.

I agree with your comments re the autoglym. I use these on my car and it looks super shiny when its done.

I love washing and polishing my car,very therapeutic and fab results
Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 28th Apr 2014
Original Poster
mintcondition

You will be surprised at the results you can achieve from hand polishing … You will be surprised at the results you can achieve from hand polishing the car and then sealing it with a good wax or sealant.I recommend autoglym super resin polish & autoglym extra gloss protection.

Hi thanks for the info I will take a trip to halfords this week and pick up the polish and gloss protection. What shampoo would you recommend and what cloths would you recommend
Asda sell a 24pack of microfibre clothes, not sure how much they are but they should be ok quality.

Costco sell a 36 pack of decent quality microfibres for about £12.00 if you hve a membership.

Any car shampoo will do to be honest.
steandzoe

Hi thanks for the info I will take a trip to halfords this week and pick … Hi thanks for the info I will take a trip to halfords this week and pick up the polish and gloss protection. What shampoo would you recommend and what cloths would you recommend

Shiny is nice, but professional finish is something else. If it were my car I would be using menzerna fine polishes and finishing off with a collinite wax, the car looks amazing after that. Pop over to clean you car.co.uk and they have forums and a shop. Plenty of advice and amazing products.
Original Poster
mintcondition

Asda sell a 24pack of microfibre clothes, not sure how much they are but … Asda sell a 24pack of microfibre clothes, not sure how much they are but they should be ok quality.Costco sell a 36 pack of decent quality microfibres for about £12.00 if you hve a membership.Any car shampoo will do to be honest.

Thanks I will go asda and get some
Original Poster
aircanman

Shiny is nice, but professional finish is something else. If it were my … Shiny is nice, but professional finish is something else. If it were my car I would be using menzerna fine polishes and finishing off with a collinite wax, the car looks amazing after that. Pop over to clean you car.co.uk and they have forums and a shop. Plenty of advice and amazing products.

I will have a look and see do use that brand
Menzerna is a great brand but needs to be used via machine polisher.
Original Poster
mintcondition

Menzerna is a great brand but needs to be used via machine polisher.

I don't feel comfortable using a machine polisher so will use the autoglim stuff
steandzoe

I don't feel comfortable using a machine polisher so will use the … I don't feel comfortable using a machine polisher so will use the autoglim stuff

Machine polishing isn't as hard as you think, if you are willing to spend £100 ish on a decent DA polisher, watch a couple of youtube videos so you can get some tips, easy to get the hang of, and the finish is superb.
check out http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/

and their forum
loads of good products and advice there
Original Poster
mintcondition

I ordered the autoglym stuff from halfords and luckily it was on 3 for 2 so got a free bottle of shampoo included in the price
Let me know how you get on.

Also, there are plenty of Autoglym product application videos on youtube if you get stuck.
Original Poster
mintcondition

Let me know how you get on.Also, there are plenty of Autoglym product … Let me know how you get on.Also, there are plenty of Autoglym product application videos on youtube if you get stuck.

Going to wash and polish the car tomorrow so will put some pictures up
steandzoe

Going to wash and polish the car tomorrow so will put some pictures up

I will be washing and polishing mine too if the weather is ok
Original Poster
takethatfan1978

I will be washing and polishing mine too if the weather is ok

What products do you use
steandzoe

What products do you use

I use autoglym stuff. The shampoo,super resin polish then the extra gloss protection

Car is sparkling once finished
As a wax, p21s was the best stuff I've ever used. last for ages and easy to apply. also didn't leave white marks on black rubber or trim. Can't recommend it more.
oh also agreed......can't beat a DA polisher! mine will extra pads/polishes was around £130.
Lets see some pics in a new thread
I have a gloss black car and I swear by autoglym showroom shine. costs under ten pound and is like a spray furniture polish!
duffy101

I have a gloss black car and I swear by autoglym showroom shine. costs … I have a gloss black car and I swear by autoglym showroom shine. costs under ten pound and is like a spray furniture polish!

Do you use that straight after shampooing?

I have never been keen on spray on polish but if its easier than the run on stuff I might give it a go
Original Poster

Original Poster

After
I love autoglym stuff

Here is mine after it had been washed and buffed lol

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/hmfleming/2013-09-14160311_zpsf1424414.png

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/hmfleming/2013-09-14160544_zps611e070b.png
Original Poster
takethatfan1978

I love autoglym stuff :)Here is mine after it had been washed and buffed … I love autoglym stuff :)Here is mine after it had been washed and buffed lol

Looks good I did mine by hand. I have heard some bad things about using a buffer so have never fancied trying it.
steandzoe

Looks good I did mine by hand. I have heard some bad things about using a … Looks good I did mine by hand. I have heard some bad things about using a buffer so have never fancied trying it.

I do mine by hand too,I meant buffed using polish with a cloth lol,don't use anything apart from microfibre cloths!

I love cleaning my car
Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 8th May 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants