Groups

Help with puppy food please....

My chocolate lab is 3 months old and currently eating Purina's Beta Puppy Turkey & Rice dry food for large breed puppies. This was the food the breeder had him weaned him onto after mum's milk.

As I'm having to feed the pup 3 times a day it would work out better value for me to purchase a 15kg bag of food, which is the largest they have. Most pet stores and online places sell the 15kg bag for £32.

I haven't managed to locate this brand in the supermarket. Does anyone know if I can get this particular brand & size of food for less than £30??

Many thanks
    MMP

15 Comments

I feed my rottie and german shepherd on wagg worker, 17k sack. 9.99 from asda//

I have fed my dogs on Wagg dog food since they were old enough to go on adult food. It costs under £10 for 17kg and is available from most large supermarkets. My vet has always commented on how fit and healthy my dogs were, with great coats. Smaller bags can be purchased so you can see if he will like it.

Cant help with finding it, but would advise getting only 1 of that size bag to start with.

Probably just my dog being fussy, but if we get the bigger bags towards the end of the bag she stops eating properly which we assume is because its not as fresh. This is even though we keep it in bag, in a tin to try and keep it fresh

Original Poster

bitseylango;6488401

I have fed my dog on Wagg dog food since they were old enough to go on … I have fed my dog on Wagg dog food since they were old enough to go on adult food. It costs under £10 for 17kg and is available from most large supermarkets. My vet has always commented on how fit and healthy my dogs were, with great coats. Smaller bags can be purchased so you can see if he will like it.

As he's still a pup would it be better to stick to the same food? :?

Original Poster

kelly_o_fanatic;6488417

Cant help with finding it, but would advise getting only 1 of that size … Cant help with finding it, but would advise getting only 1 of that size bag to start with.Probably just my dog being fussy, but if we get the bigger bags towards the end of the bag she stops eating properly which we assume is because its not as fresh. This is even though we keep it in bag, in a tin to try and keep it fresh

At first i brought a 3kg bag and he wolfs the stuff down. LOL. He's a lab at the end of the day so I don't think he would turn his nose up at food however it just seems more cost effective to buy a 15kg bag as aspposed to a 3kg bag for £10!:)

Original Poster

Alternatively... does anyone know of any voucher codes going at pet stores???

Miss Money Penny;6488421

I have just checked the sack of Wagg and it can be given to dogs from 8 weeks. Try a small bag first and mix with your usual food, then increase the amount of Wagg over a few weeks until that is all he/she is having.
    Our dogs were fed on pedigree chum puppy dry food when we got them from the RSPCA and this is what we did to wean them off it.

Original Poster

bitseylango;6488462

I have just checked the sack of Wagg and it can be given to dogs from 8 … I have just checked the sack of Wagg and it can be given to dogs from 8 weeks. Try a small bag first and mix with your usual food, then increase the amount of Wagg over a few weeks until that is all he/she is having.Our dogs were fed on pedigree chum puppy dry food when we got them from the RSPCA and this is what we did to wean them off it.

Really? I may try that as the Beta stuff is way to pricey. I'm sure there are other brands out there which are just as good! :thumbsup:

Miss Money Penny;6488421

not necessarily as long as he gets the required nutrients

wean him off them slowly

Miss Money Penny;6488504

Really? I may try that as the Beta stuff is way to pricey. I'm sure there … Really? I may try that as the Beta stuff is way to pricey. I'm sure there are other brands out there which are just as good! :thumbsup:

wont hurt to try it, a small bag is around £1.99 from supermarkets. My cousin has a 21 week Boxer puppy that was fed on expensive stuff from the breeder, he is now weaned off that and loving his Wagg :thumbsup:
    I even emailed Wagg to tell them how good their product was and they sent me some money off vouchers as a thankyou :-D

Miss Money Penny;6488504

Really? I may try that as the Beta stuff is way to pricey. I'm sure there … Really? I may try that as the Beta stuff is way to pricey. I'm sure there are other brands out there which are just as good! :thumbsup:

If he likes it though, why change? This how people start devoloping "fussy eaters". On a seperate note, a labrador is not classed as a "large breed" so the added nutrients, vits and mins are basically going to waste on him, and in time can actually cause negative results.
    Purina is a excellent dog food IMO, we also advise this food in my profession, and alot of people actually use it for various conditions such as skin digestive problems etc. My advice is to stick with what you have now, no point changing something if it isn't broke.

Miss Money Penny;6488442

At first i brought a 3kg bag and he wolfs the stuff down. LOL. He's a lab … At first i brought a 3kg bag and he wolfs the stuff down. LOL. He's a lab at the end of the day so I don't think he would turn his nose up at food however it just seems more cost effective to buy a 15kg bag as aspposed to a 3kg bag for £10!:)

Yea, that was our thinking as well. Get about half way through the bag though and she wont eat it!

i just got a puppy two weeks ago breeder had them on pedigree puppy dry food
    i have another dog he has the tesco puppy dryed food (its the only small bite food he likes his a yorkie) i put the breeders food with some of my other dogs food pup seems to enjoy tescos make rather then the other one

i also feed them wet food once a day but leave the dry food down all day this seems to work for my two

Lots of suggestions but I just had to recommend this.
    whites-premium.com/fre…php
    My two dogs eat Whites food. Prior to eating this they had some digestive problems (wind and runs!) but this is great.
    It's good as well because you can try (free sample) before you buy.

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy;6488583

If he likes it though, why change? This how people start devoloping … If he likes it though, why change? This how people start devoloping "fussy eaters". On a seperate note, a labrador is not classed as a "large breed" so the added nutrients, vits and mins are basically going to waste on him, and in time can actually cause negative results. Purina is a excellent dog food IMO, we also advise this food in my profession, and alot of people actually use it for various conditions such as skin digestive problems etc. My advice is to stick with what you have now, no point changing something if it isn't broke.

The vet and the pet shop told me that labs are large breed dogs... :thinking::?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Gear best shipping?44
      2. Do you use a case on your iPhone?44
      3. Virgin Media TV56
      4. Tooth extraction99

See more discussions