Help with RAM upgrade

Found 26th May
Hi all

Can anyone help me to decide if the following ram module will be compatible with my computer? Currently have 4GB looking to add another 4gb.

Current: digikey.co.uk/pro…667

Looking to buy: amazon.co.uk/Cor…600
Community Updates
AskComputersGaming PC
8 Comments
Are you running it dual channel and how good is the memory controller on your pc ?
I would probably check out crucial instead as they're owned by micron so might be able to find a better match
Edited by: "kester76" 26th May
Just check it's the same frequency, size etc.

Usually it's recommended that you buy two of the same brand for max compatibility.
hearts2210 m ago

Just check it's the same frequency, size etc.Usually it's recommended that …Just check it's the same frequency, size etc.Usually it's recommended that you buy two of the same brand for max compatibility.

That's completely not true.

Just pop into your local CEX and pickup 1x4GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM 240-pin for around £10.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 26th May
RiverDragon84 h, 3 m ago

That's completely not true.Just pop into your local CEX and pickup 1x4GB …That's completely not true.Just pop into your local CEX and pickup 1x4GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM 240-pin for around £10.

What I meant was that two ram modules, even if they have the same specs, might not work well together if they're of two different brands. I have read of people having problems mixing brands.

It was just a recommendation. Never said they don't absolutely work together. Oh and that he should buy a ram stick with the same frequency, latency etc is absolutely true, otherwise performance will suffer. If the ram sticks have two different frequencies the faster ram will operate at the lower frequency.
hearts223 h, 52 m ago

What I meant was that two ram modules, even if they have the same specs, …What I meant was that two ram modules, even if they have the same specs, might not work well together if they're of two different brands. I have read of people having problems mixing brands.It was just a recommendation. Never said they don't absolutely work together. Oh and that he should buy a ram stick with the same frequency, latency etc is absolutely true, otherwise performance will suffer. If the ram sticks have two different frequencies the faster ram will operate at the lower frequency.

I agree with you on this, dual channel might have issue with different specced ram. This tends to depend a lot on the motherboard and memory controller. Tech is more solid now with motherboards able to spec per slot but this wasn't always the case. As a matter of course I buy matched pairs but this is normally due to having issues in the past with memory. Hell in past you needed two sticks of EDO to get a PC to even boot.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants