Help with Rat problem in garden, but we have dogs

Found 4th Jun
Have a double skin fence running along one side of the garden with neighbours housing multiple pet rabbits in outside floor cages next door. Their food store/shed is not secure and we have rats running through our garden and along the length of the boundary fence which is double skinned. The rat(s) simple trot along inbetween the two fences.

We are reluctant to use poison(s) as we have two dogs who need use of the garden.

Had no success with one of those Big Cheese traps off Amazon.

Any ideas?
Community Updates
AskHome & Living
20 Comments
Let the council know that an uncontrolled food store is giving rise to rats.

In the event you have young children who have seen the rats whilst playing in the garden (hint, hint), be sure the council are made aware of your concerns. Perhaps a child screamed?
You should get a professional in to put bait stations down (try local council for subsidised rates) - they only allow access to the bait and not pets.

You can also buy them from hardware stores.
We did have a visit from the Council which we initiated; OH works for local Council. Sadly we got no joy from them in any respect largely due to us having the dogs so they couldn't put down poison. It was they who suggested investing in a trap but quite frankly with CCTV on wherever we put the traps (not touching them by hand) the Rat(s) (2) simply avoided them even with large dollops of peanut butter to tempt. :-/ Thinking of getting a .410 ;-)
Mice cant resist chocolate in traps, not sure if rats are the same but worth a try, obviously keep them out of reach from the dogs
Edited by: "ding" 4th Jun
What breed of dogs are they?

If it was say terriers I would just let them out and let their instincts kick in.
DKLS8 m ago

What breed of dogs are they?If it was say terriers I would just let them …What breed of dogs are they?If it was say terriers I would just let them out and let their instincts kick in.

Not a good idea as they can get bitten and infected when snapping the necks over their backs.
DKLS9 m ago

What breed of dogs are they?If it was say terriers I would just let them …What breed of dogs are they?If it was say terriers I would just let them out and let their instincts kick in.

Yeah, they are however the Rat has made use of this dual skinned fencing that runs between us and the neighbour and subsequently when the dogs do spot the rat they naturally go apesh*t, never catch the rat but end up destroying all the flowers and shrubs so that's not working for us either
DKLS13 m ago

That is very likely to result in dogs that are no longer the nice pets

OP - 410 sounds good (then watch the last episode of Billions for a road kill chilli receipe). Didn't think you could still buy them without owning a farm
kester7613 m ago

Not a good idea as they can get bitten and infected when snapping the …Not a good idea as they can get bitten and infected when snapping the necks over their backs.

Guess that would depend on the dog, a average pet may not have the skills but a working terrier could dispatch hundreds in a day with ease. (Plenty of youtube videos for the non offended types)
gibblesuk12 m ago

Yeah, they are however the Rat has made use of this dual skinned fencing …Yeah, they are however the Rat has made use of this dual skinned fencing that runs between us and the neighbour and subsequently when the dogs do spot the rat they naturally go apesh*t, never catch the rat but end up destroying all the flowers and shrubs so that's not working for us either

Rifle it is, get baiting and shooting. But not a lot will change if your neighbours continue to keep rabitts.
ccnp9 m ago

That is very likely to result in dogs that are no longer the nice petsOP - …That is very likely to result in dogs that are no longer the nice petsOP - 410 sounds good (then watch the last episode of Billions for a road kill chilli receipe). Didn't think you could still buy them without owning a farm

Or maybe not. Dogs are pretty instinctual in their actions, and a rat is highly likely to invoke the prey drive, a kid or other adult much less so.
Ask the neighbours to properly store the food.

No food source = no rats.

Also don’t use a home compost as that can be a food source for them.
sicklysweet37 m ago

Ask the neighbours to properly store the food. No food source = no rats. …Ask the neighbours to properly store the food. No food source = no rats. Also don’t use a home compost as that can be a food source for them.

That seems the obvious place to start, a chat with the neighbours.
Buy some jack Russel they will sort um out
sicklysweet4 h, 27 m ago

Ask the neighbours to properly store the food. No food source = no rats. …Ask the neighbours to properly store the food. No food source = no rats. Also don’t use a home compost as that can be a food source for them.

Already done that but they are renting and reluctant to spend money on the house or buildings. :-/
gibblesuk53 m ago

Already done that but they are renting and reluctant to spend money on the …Already done that but they are renting and reluctant to spend money on the house or buildings. :-/

Couldn’t the bags of food be kept in cheapo Wilko plastic boxes? Maybe offer to buy the boxes as they’ll probably be £3/4 each and would be a huge help to begin with.
sicklysweet49 m ago

Couldn’t the bags of food be kept in cheapo Wilko plastic boxes? Maybe o …Couldn’t the bags of food be kept in cheapo Wilko plastic boxes? Maybe offer to buy the boxes as they’ll probably be £3/4 each and would be a huge help to begin with.

If the rats know the food is there they will gnaw their way through plastic boxes in no time at all, the best thing to keep dry animal feed in are mini dustbins with lids.

I used these to store our bird seed in the shed.
amazon.co.uk/Rub…VV8
Yep, plastic boxes would be useless, a rat chewed through the chipboard floor to get into our shed a year or two ago, we had a large sack of fish pellets stored in it. It didn't eat much of the fish food, but it did chew up about a third of the flooring, some plywood boxes and half the stuff stored in the shed, leaving a hell of a mess.

After that, I put the fish food in an old heavy gauge metal dustbin outside the shed with a concrete block on the lid. I also put some poison rat baits down, but the rat never touched any of them, I suspect it was too well fed.

I think the rat probably came in from the garden just behind the shed, they have a couple of rabbits.

I would have thought the council would deal with the neighbour themselves if they believe that they are the source of a rat infestation?
Edited by: "melted" 5th Jun
There's a rat in me garden what am I gonna do?
There's a rat in me garden what am I gonna go?
I'm gonna fix that rat that's what I'm gonna do,
I'm gonna fix that rat.
Why not put the poison in the gap between the two fences.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants