help with replacing electric hob with newer induction hob

Found 23rd Jan 2015
So our electric hob is having issues, tbh it was in when i moved in over 6 years ago and we need to replace it.

the hob is similar to this one at the moment

google.co.uk/sea…oAg

and is standalone fitted into the worktop with no oven below it

looking at switching to something like this

google.co.uk/sea…oAg

is there anything i need to be mindful about with switching? im useless at diy but i take it both hobs will kinda have a lip that sits around the hole? being whatever size the hole is

20 Comments

Swap hob, change pans, enjoy.

As mentioned check the size of the hole and as Chris mentions your current pans may not work on an induction hob. Also someone posted that if you have a pacemaker, you shouldn't go too near induction hobs.....

One other thing to check is the current it draws and whether your existing electrics are up to the job. Some hobs come with a plug others with higher ratings need wiring in...
Edited by: "gari189" 23rd Jan 2015

Check the wattage as well. I think most electric hobs are wired in 6mm. Not sure but some large induction hobs may need 10mm

Original Poster

hummmmm i may blow the house up. prob worth me paying someone say £30 to fit it?

its more the buying a new one i need to be sure of. these new induction ones seem to sit more flush with a worktop so i wasnt sure about how they fit in a hole compared to these bulky old ones

They should be a straight swap, however check the wattage on the new and old ones to be sure that your supply is adequate, they do vary.

Original Poster

i have no instructions or anything for the current hob

Havince

hummmmm i may blow the house up. prob worth me paying someone say £30 to … hummmmm i may blow the house up. prob worth me paying someone say £30 to fit it?its more the buying a new one i need to be sure of. these new induction ones seem to sit more flush with a worktop so i wasnt sure about how they fit in a hole compared to these bulky old ones

Some websites (eg AO.com) give the size of the aperture required so just compare that to your current hole - they also need a certain depth - if you have 38mm worktop you should be okay. 6mm cable should be fine unless the rating very high .

Original Poster

i know its a diplomat select but dont think it has a model number. ill have to double check when home

Original Poster

gari189

Some websites (eg AO.com) give the size of the aperture required so just … Some websites (eg AO.com) give the size of the aperture required so just compare that to your current hole - they also need a certain depth - if you have 38mm worktop you should be okay. 6mm cable should be fine.

thanx for the site. so my current one classes as a SOLID PLATE hob, im assuming im right saying its electric lol

Havince

thanx for the site. so my current one classes as a SOLID PLATE hob, im … thanx for the site. so my current one classes as a SOLID PLATE hob, im assuming im right saying its electric lol

Yes, it's electric, I would let a qualified sparky install it, if you are not good with electrics.

Inactive

Yes, it's electric, I would let a qualified sparky install it, if you are … Yes, it's electric, I would let a qualified sparky install it, if you are not good with electrics.

As long as you turn the whole consumer unit off and sort of know what you're doing its not to bad

But given the fact you don't know power consumption of the old one, new one. Plugged in, independent circuit. Cable size. Amps on the mcb. I would just pay someone

If you can find what aperture is required for you current hob, you will need to measure the hole. I'm presuming its above a builtin oven in which case you will need to pull that out to take and look (and at the same time you can check how the hob is wired)

If the hole is suitable - probably best to get someone in as Sean suggests. If its not suitable ie hole is too big and you don't want to replace your worktop then you might want to have a re-think.

gari189

If you can find what aperture is required for you current hob, you will … If you can find what aperture is required for you current hob, you will need to measure the hole. I'm presuming its above a builtin oven in which case you will need to pull that out to take and look (and at the same time you can check how the hob is wired)If the hole is suitable - probably best to get someone in as Sean suggests. If its not suitable ie hole is too big and you don't want to replace your worktop then you might want to have a re-think.

" standalone, with no oven below " from OP.

Inactive

" standalone, with no oven below " from OP.

Missed that
Shouldn't be too difficult to check the size of the hole in that case.

Original Poster

found a pic of one that looks like ours just white

linky

taking into account thos measurements i take it id need to find one pretty much spot on the same?

If there's no oven under the hob what is there?

Cupboards?

If you open the doors can you not see the size of the hole from the bottom?

Original Poster

seanrtkelly

If there's no oven under the hob what is there? Cupboards? If you open … If there's no oven under the hob what is there? Cupboards? If you open the doors can you not see the size of the hole from the bottom?

i guess so yeah. i did have a feel last night and could feel the height of it down from the workto so yeah i guess i cud pull them out and measure it :-)

Havince

[quote=seanrtkelly]If there's no oven under the hob what is there? … [quote=seanrtkelly]If there's no oven under the hob what is there? Cupboards? If you open the doors can you not see the size of the hole from the bottom?

i guess so yeah. i did have a feel last night and could feel the height of it down from the workto so yeah i guess i cud pull them out and measure it :-)[/quote

While you are under there the old one may have a sticker on the bottom which will tell you the wattage.

Buy a new one same size and same wattage. Will make it easier to replace yourself then

That looks to be standard size, I would think any similar sized ones will fit, you may need to cut a bit of worktop, once you have the old one out, but that is easy enough.

Chances are it will be straight swap.

I changed mine recently, it only took about 20 minutes.

If you want to know if your current pans are suitable the general rule is if a magnet sticks to the base you are good to go.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions