Groups

Help with Router upgrade question....

Hi I have 2 laptops at home with 802.11b/g 54Mbps Mini-PCI Wireless Card. I have a netgear DG834G (V3) wireless router that I use to connect to internet. I also have a NAS attached to the router. I am now thinking of upgrading to a wireless N router. My question is, would I gain anything by upgrading as the WAN card on my laptops are 802.11b/g 54Mbps? Would there be any improvement in either internet speed or file transfer speed to NAS?

Thanks in advance for any response.

3 Comments

Original Poster

...meaning there is no way you can use the n router with older (not too old. 3 years may be) laptops?

Is there a way to bypass the inbuilt wireless g card and use one of those wireless n usb adapters? Would there be any conflict issues in future?

If you grab an N card for your laptop you will benefit.

Original Poster

Jonsend

If you grab an N card for your laptop you will benefit.

How easy / difficult it is to change the card? Could it be a DIY for someone not too familiar with hardware stuff? Where to get the cards from?

I read somewhere that the N card and Router needs to be of the same make for compatibility. How weird is that? Does it mean if I buy a linksys N card it won;t work with Netgear router?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick88
      3. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat99
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2324

See more discussions