Groups

Help with setting up a website

Hi. Whenever I need some help on the IT front, its nice to know that I can always turn to the good folk on this site for some guidance. Here's the thing. Just over a week ago, my brother-in-law helped me to create a website for my husband. Well, he set me up with the domain name, and showed me how to use the drag and drop features of this site to pull together the text, pictures, etc. We paid up front for 12 months web hosting and that's it. The problem I have is that fact that this particular site that I am using, allows you only to publish 6 web pages. Whilst that sounds reasonable, because the nature of the work my husband does (wooden boats), there are a number of 'projects' he has worked on in his career that I want to showcase. Whilst I can create a link on a page to another page (what they term as a hidden page), I have already used my 6 allocated 'published' pages. Now, last night when I mentioned this to my B-I-L, he said we may be able to get around it by using MS Frontpage - downloading the pages we have created, adding more in frontpage, and then uploading them again (we have unlimited space with this website, if that makes sense). I really need to get on a sort this out ASAP because I have a deadline, and wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction about getting hold of Frontpage, or anything else for that matter. It seems as though FP has been replaced with Expression Web so I don't know what to do now. My other alternative is to pay this website £9.95 per month to join their 'premium' service which will enable me to publish unlimited pages but I'm not sure about this ... Thanks in advance, Lizaberry

12 Comments

If it will only allow 6 HTML page uploads, I would think that that would be your maximum, whether you have Frontpage or not. Trying to upload multiple HTML files within a single one will make your website difficult to navigate and it will be hard to achieve a Google listing as the Google Bots will not read it properly.

Original Poster

Thanks for that Amywamy. Do you have any other thoughts as to how I might achieve what I want? Basically, I want a page that is entitled 'projects', so that when you select the page it opens up and lists links to the various projects my husband has worked on. When each of these links is selected, it opens up a page with information about that particular project - text, pictures, slide show, whatever .. I don't think I'm asking too much or am I?. I just want the site to be organised and logical, but at the same time informative. Thanks again.

Just don't out Ryan Giggs as a cheat on it as he doesn't like that and sues. (Oops.........i've done it again )

Original Poster

Syzable

Just don't out Ryan Giggs as a cheat on it as he doesn't like that and … Just don't out Ryan Giggs as a cheat on it as he doesn't like that and sues. (Oops.........i've done it again )

What?!

Dont use Front Page. The last version was 2003 and Microsoft are no longer making it or selling it.

While you can only use 6 pages there is no limit to how long they can be.

Why not just make VERY VERY long pages.

You could easily showcase all your husbands projects on the one page by having a list at the top, and then "jumping" to the project below if someone selects on it. Or they could just scroll down the page and see all the projects.

Edited by: "guilbert53" 21st May 2011

Banned

Appledore

Thanks for that Amywamy. Do you have any other thoughts as to how I … Thanks for that Amywamy. Do you have any other thoughts as to how I might achieve what I want? Basically, I want a page that is entitled 'projects', so that when you select the page it opens up and lists links to the various projects my husband has worked on. When each of these links is selected, it opens up a page with information about that particular project - text, pictures, slide show, whatever .. I don't think I'm asking too much or am I?. I just want the site to be organised and logical, but at the same time informative. Thanks again.

Not ideal but you could utilise something like Flickr for the photos. Simply have a page within your website that links to particular images within your Flickr account.

Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 21st May 2011

Appledore

Basically, I want a page that is entitled 'projects', so that when you … Basically, I want a page that is entitled 'projects', so that when you select the page it opens up and lists links to the various projects my husband has worked on. When each of these links is selected, it opens up a page with information about that particular project - text, pictures, slide show, whatever .. I don't think I'm asking too much or am I?. I just want the site to be organised and logical, but at the same time informative. Thanks again.

You are now facing the basics of web design.

Each page has a name and ends in HTML (or HTM), so your main page may be called INDEX.HTML for example.

You can then have sub pages, so you could have one called PROJECTS.HTML.

The main page INDEX.HTML then has a "link" (hyperlink) that calls up PROJECTS.HTML.

So when someone is viewing your "home" page (INDEX.HTML), if they click on the link it brings up PROJECTS.HTML.

The page PROJECTS.HTML page can then have other links that call up other sub-pages like PROJECT1.HTML, PROJECT2.HTML and so on.

On each of these sub pages you have hyperlinks that go BACK to the other pages.

So PROJECTS.HTML would have a hyperlink that goes back to INDEX.HTML and so on.

This hyperlinking is what the web is all about and you need a basic understanding of this to design a web site.

Sounds like you need a book on web design.

Here is an intro hyperlinks with HTML

w3schools.com/HTM…asp

Original Poster

guilbert53

Of course you could have set up a blog for nothing with no web design … Of course you could have set up a blog for nothing with no web design skills needed, and no limit on the number of pages.Here are three Boat building blogs as an example:http://pawistik.blogspot.com/http://newboatbuildersnews.blogspot.com/http://boatbuildingwithburnham.blogspot.com/All these were done with Blogger (provided by Google)http://www.blogger.com.

Thanks for that. Whilst I am IT literate, I have never entered the world of 'blogs'. I'll suggest it to my bil and see what he thinks. Yeah, the long page thing is definitely a go-er. I guess, like you said, I might be able to create a link a the top that directs you to wherever the info relating to that particular boat relates. Good thinking bat man. I was trying to avoid the whole long page thing but I could see if I could somehow marry the two ideas together with links and all. Thanks.

Original Poster

Not ideal but you could utilise something like Flickr for the photos. Simply have a page within your website that links to particular images within your Flickr account.

[/quote

I think there is a way to link to a flickr account on the website already - is it a bit like photobucket? I have one of those accounts and understand how that works.

Appledore

Thanks for that. Whilst I am IT literate, I have never entered the world … Thanks for that. Whilst I am IT literate, I have never entered the world of 'blogs'. I'll suggest it to my bil and see what he thinks. Yeah, the long page thing is definitely a go-er. I guess, like you said, I might be able to create a link a the top that directs you to wherever the info relating to that particular boat relates. Good thinking bat man. I was trying to avoid the whole long page thing but I could see if I could somehow marry the two ideas together with links and all. Thanks.

Wikipedia uses the "long page" idea with hyperlinks within a long page.

If you see here, a wiki entry for Concorde, you can see the Contents section at the top is just a load of hyperlinks that "jump" you further down the page.

en.wikipedia.org/wik…rde

You could replace the Contents idea with a list of all your husbands projects.

If I may wade in here . . . .
    Am I right to think its the online editor that has limited you to 6 pages?
    Do you have FTP access to the web space?
    Or maybe a seperate built in upload function/ control panel?
    This would allow you to upload your extra pages directly to the unlimited webspace, just use the editor to link them in as guilbert53 has said.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Important info for Ryanair customers1317
      2. iPhone X 256GB for £569 on O2 - Pre Order1118
      3. Forza Motorsport 7 Demo goes live on Xbox One and PC (6pm - 19/09)22
      4. CCleaner software compromised by hackers1524

See more discussions