Groups

Help with setting up a wireless connection

Bought a laptop and have been using it via the ethernet the one i use for my 360 too

But i want to go wireless as i have a router in my house just never actually unpacked it

So i hooked the router up put the ethernet into the back of the pc and to the router and enabled network sharing for that connection

But i cant seem to work out how to acutally do it

16 Comments

Do you have an install CD?

Original Poster

t0mm;1628162

Do you have an install CD?

nope downloading it now from netgear site

It'll run you through the installation.

Daft question, it is a wireless router isn't it dan?

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture;1628334

Daft question, it is a wireless router isn't it dan?

lol yep

No i fixed it all -- i realised that it was a modem and disconnected my odl one thus running the net on the router

All shipshape

Make sure to secure with a decent WEP key, go for a 26 hexidecimal if possible.

Original Poster

Alfonse;1628729

Make sure to secure with a decent WEP key, go for a 26 hexidecimal if … Make sure to secure with a decent WEP key, go for a 26 hexidecimal if possible.

ive got a password for the connection but thats it

Wep? Surely you mean WPA

nah he means WEP ( ecryption key)

I'd go for WPA iff possible.

Yeah WPA is better, its high incription level
    128bit i think

I've a netgea using WPA so it should be possible

Original Poster

pcnutta;1629194

Yeah WPA is better, its high incription level128bit i think

Well tbh my sis is only using me laptop for faceboo kadn msn so not much security probs

dandoc2;1629217

Well tbh my sis is only using me laptop for faceboo kadn msn so not much … Well tbh my sis is only using me laptop for faceboo kadn msn so not much security probs

What router do you have?

It's to stop people using your wireless Dan. They could download/view dodgy content via your connection. Guess who's liable for the traffic that passes through your router???

Paddy_o_furniture;1629272

It's to stop people using your wireless Dan. They could download/view … It's to stop people using your wireless Dan. They could download/view dodgy content via your connection. Guess who's liable for the traffic that passes through your router???

I agree - plus you don't want someone sitting inside your network trying to hack your laptop.

Most routers / laptops will support WPA as well as WEP.

WEP can be hacked inside an hour (but the hacker must sit within range of your network while they do this).

WPA is more secure; but only if you use a long random passphrase. It may only take a hacker a few seconds to collect information they need to try and hack your passphrase they can then go home and leave their PC crunching numbers trying to break it. (use all 63 Characters and a truly random key and this will take several billion years - choose a dictionary word and it'll take 10 seconds).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions