help with sewing machine selection

12 replies
Found 21st Nov 2016
Needing some help with buying the missus a sewing machine for one of her xmas presents. I do not have a clue about spec, just that majority of her sewing by hand involves fixing the kids clothes etc. Up to £200ish is my budget. Thanks

12 Comments

If it's small clothing repairs you really don't need a £200 machine and to be honest unless she's a dab hand, chances are (if she's anything like me) that all the extras on that kind of machine would put her off using it. I have a basic argos value machine that cost £25 and i do repairs, make basic clothing, bunting and cushion covers etc with it just fine. Maybe look at getting an easy to use good brand instead of tryignto spend your whole budget and confusing her?

Argos have a couple of Singer machines around the £100 mark which should be great for her if she wants to take on bigger projects without the confusion of a pro machine.
Edited by: "eaw1988" 21st Nov 2016

Original Poster

OK, that makes sense and less costly as well.
Thanks

Janome are fantastic. I have one and easily available in Hobbycraft and John Lewis...different price ranges depending on how skilled your wife is with a sewing machine..

richardthompson79

OK, that makes sense and less costly as well.Thanks

My mum was a seamstress for years back in the day and we recently purchased a new £100 singer from Argos for her and she loves it and does far more than just repairing clothes on it. So don't waste your money on anything more than that.

I recently got a Singer from John Lewis, they matched priced it and as last on the shelf (none in stock) gave me additional amount off. They were brilliant. It is not a high spec but is very good.

Banned

Amazon will be selling a singer machine for £68 ish on sales. I wouldn't spend money on crap companies.
if she is Sewing jeans and duvets then you need to look at bigger machines like the electrical ones.
janome and Toyota is a good make too.

sofiasar

Amazon will be selling a singer machine for £68 ish on sales. I wouldn't … Amazon will be selling a singer machine for £68 ish on sales. I wouldn't spend money on crap companies. if she is Sewing jeans and duvets then you need to look at bigger machines like the electrical ones. janome and Toyota is a good make too.

Don't tell me! You're a sewing machine expert also & you sew your own clothes!!

check this
Janine 2015s

Banned

Gollywood

Don't tell me! You're a sewing machine expert also & you sew your own … Don't tell me! You're a sewing machine expert also & you sew your own clothes!!

lol. I have a singer sewing machine just for the odd clothes which might rip, or my kids coats.
they always rip under the arms. I also use it for my kids salwar

Original Poster

saphiryman

check thisJanine 2015s

​hi, I like the look of this one and the extras but the brand name , not sure?

Original Poster

thanks for all the input hukdealers!

richardthompson79

​hi, I like the look of this one and the extras but the brand name , not s … ​hi, I like the look of this one and the extras but the brand name , not sure?

Its Janome...typos...
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Add one, leave one game54415454
    2. Anyone else bored of video gaming2639
    3. word association Game74244929
    4. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21109

See more discussions