Groups

help with slow scrolling webpage

i have just replaced my laptop as it had broken screen with a desktop pc but on most webpages including this one when i scroll down it takes ages like its reloading again it doesnt scroll down smooth.

it kinda jumps ebay seems ook scrolls down as normal but most others just take ages to get to the bottom

Ive just checked my pc and updated everything but noticed i only have 512mb ram could this be the cause?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

9 Comments

a dedicated graphics card would be a great help to you. theres plenty on here, one about £25 quid would do your job so long as you dont need it for gaming.

simple to install too.

check the shared video size, see if it is set too much of your RAM
    But TBH 512MB is indeed too low, especially if you run XP or Vista

Original Poster

i run xp. any idea how i find the shared video info

v2drinkers;5115124

If you originally had more than 512M ram you may had dislodge a chip when … If you originally had more than 512M ram you may had dislodge a chip when you replaced the screen.Try taking out the memory modules and refitting them

Its a desktop.

Original Poster

thanx for all your help im guessing its the graphics card now as when i start up its a nevidia 256mb or something like that i take it id be better off buying a 512mb one? think ill upgrade the mem and graphics card

cheepaschippies;5115334

thanx for all your help im guessing its the graphics card now as when i … thanx for all your help im guessing its the graphics card now as when i start up its a nevidia 256mb or something like that i take it id be better off buying a 512mb one? think ill upgrade the mem and graphics card

thats the answer then, that means 50% of your RAM is reserved for display.

why would you need a new graphic card? are you planning to use your desktop for heavy games or video editing?

Shared graphic card IS perfectly fine for everyday use like browsing, office or even watching (not editing) videos

you also can reduce the size of the shared graphic size (say to 128MB or even 64MB) but I dont think you would want to go thru the fuss of doing it. Also its not the best solution for overall performance nor in the longer term.

So, I would suggest to upgrade to 1.5 GB or preferably 2.5 GB which would boost your XP speed. Anyhthing beyond that would be a waste

cheepaschippies;5115334

thanx for all your help im guessing its the graphics card now as when i … thanx for all your help im guessing its the graphics card now as when i start up its a nevidia 256mb or something like that i take it id be better off buying a 512mb one? think ill upgrade the mem and graphics card

No, no, no. You only need 16 or 32mb of graphics memory for even the biggest monitor. The rest is only used for heavy graphical work like 3d or transparency effects.

If the system only has 512mb of main memory then I assume it's a previous or second hand one? That's not the cause directly, 512mb is plenty for browsing web pages on windows XP.

Funny scrolling could be caused by a bad graphics card driver installation, I'd recommend getting the latest drivers for your graphics card from ]here (assuming it is nvidia). If you didn't catch what it was on bootup then download and run ]GPU-Z and that'll tell you (you're interested in the name box).

EndlessWaves;5116821

No, no, no. You only need 16 or 32mb of graphics memory for even the … No, no, no. You only need 16 or 32mb of graphics memory for even the biggest monitor. The rest is only used for heavy graphical work like 3d or transparency effects.If the system only has 512mb of main memory then I assume it's a previous or second hand one? That's not the cause directly, 512mb is plenty for browsing web pages on windows XP.Funny scrolling could be caused by a bad graphics card driver installation, I'd recommend getting the latest drivers for your graphics card from ]here (assuming it is nvidia). If you didn't catch what it was on bootup then download and run ]GPU-Z and that'll tell you (you're interested in the name box).

if the OP can/is willing to adjust the graphic sze manually then that would be ideal (provided the system allows).

Still, 512MB is the basic requirement for XP. Over time, i.e as the compie gets more cluttered, a 1GB additional RAM is a good investment.

Original Poster

im only using the pc for internet really i thought i had to upgrade because of the slow moving web pages but if i dont thats all the better

how do i change it?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764262
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846184
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?31147
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio913

See more discussions