Groups

Help with transferring a personalised number plate.

Evening all,

As always, this forum remains the most helpful one on the internet for a whole variety of topics!

Next week I am taking delivery of my new car. A nice Ford Fiesta ST2. I can't wait. My current car has a personalised plate on it and I want to keep it.

I am giving my old car to my mum as she doesn't have one at the moment, so I don't need to rush to transfer it as I will still be able to see her to get the plate at a later date.

What's the best way to do this? Take the plate off and pay £80, then put it on the new car for free?

If I use the online service, anyone know the time scale I'm looking at?

Thanks all.

7 Comments

I did mine a couple of weeks ago.
    paid £80 put my old car back on its original plate.
    waited till my v5 came through and changed it to the new car online instantly.
    very easy done both ways online. no forms to fill in.
    very simple and easy .

Do it all online, you pay the £80 and then it completes immediately and you have to take the plates off and put original plates back on. You will be auto sent the V5 with original number back on normally within 3-4 working days. The personal plate will be on retention and when you add it to a new vehicle it will then cost nothing as you've already paid for the retention.
    Edited by: "robertr" 10th Jun

Will the dealer not do it for you?

srp111

I did mine a couple of weeks ago.paid £80 put my old car back on its … I did mine a couple of weeks ago.paid £80 put my old car back on its original plate.waited till my v5 came through and changed it to the new car online instantly.very easy done both ways online. no forms to fill in.very simple and easy .

​exactly the same way I done it on my car and partners car

Original Poster

Cheers guys! Really appreciate the advice.

Got to get some plates made up. I had to snap my original plates to get them off years ago. I'll get it done online, before I take the car up to my mum.

Thanks all.

Original Poster

hubcms

Will the dealer not do it for you?

Figured it would be easier and quicker to do it myself to be fair.

Original Poster

Anyone know what the turn around is like? If I apply to take the reg off NOW how much time do I have to actually get it swapped?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best way to use Tesco club card vouchers?11
      2. Music download67
      3. cats and royal canin biscuits913
      4. Nike Apple Watch 42mm22

See more discussions