Expired

Help with vista reinstall

7 replies
Found 25th May 2007
I could do with some advice , i have just re installed my vista on my insirion 1501 and on reinstall delted the partitions , however i notice i have a partition on my drive which i cannot access it has no drive letter and is simplly listed as (EISA configuration) it is 110mb
I have a 120gb drive in total and now have 111gb left from 120gb although vista takes up 2.89gb .

Is this partition needed or can i format it somehow?
many thanks for any help here.

edit showing 103gb free from 111gb ,where could the other 19gb be ?

1. Ask
  2. Windows
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Windows
8 Comments

Original Poster

just doing another reinstall as im miffed , i have no partitions and one drive and says total capacity is 111.7gb . im really cofussed as i brought the lappy with 120gb from dell . have they done me or am i missing something?

the EISA partition is the recovery partition....
do you know how to use WinPe on Vista???

also, a '120Gb Hard Drive' won't actually have 120Gb on it...there's always a bit of space taken up and it doesn't work out to exactly 120Gb anyways. I can't go in to the details because i'm in a hurry out the door!!

I think the ESIA Configuration partition is the Dell Diagnostic programs. The thing you get by hitting a key (F2 probably) at boot then picking diagnostics from a menu.

120Gb never means 120Gb......It's the difference between binary and decimal representations of hard disk size. As in decimal 1,000,000,000 bytes = 1Gb but in binary 1,073,741,824 bytes = 1GB. So 120Gb (decimal) = 120,000,000,000 bytes = 111.76 GB (binary, ish). or at least that's the de-geeked explanation, it's a little more complicated in reality but nothing to worry about either way.

Dell obviously use decimal whereas Windows uses the binary...

Original Poster

megalomaniac

I think the ESIA Configuration partition is the Dell Diagnostic programs. … I think the ESIA Configuration partition is the Dell Diagnostic programs. The thing you get by hitting a key (F2 probably) at boot then picking diagnostics from a menu.120Gb never means 120Gb......It's the difference between binary and decimal representations of hard disk size. As in decimal 1,000,000,000 bytes = 1Gb but in binary 1,073,741,824 bytes = 1GB. So 120Gb (decimal) = 120,000,000,000 bytes = 111.76 GB (binary, ish). or at least that's the de-geeked explanation, it's a little more complicated in reality but nothing to worry about either way.Dell obviously use decimal whereas Windows uses the binary...

ok pheww , so its right then , when i look on my computer it says i have 103gb of 111gb so thats a loss of 17gb , wow im quite stunned , but if its correct then at least i know i havent messed it up :?
thanks guys rep added

Original Poster

spitfire51

the EISA partition is the recovery partition....do you know how to use … the EISA partition is the recovery partition....do you know how to use WinPe on Vista???

sorry no never heard of it ! what is it ?

go to prompt:

type diskpart

diskpart> ***type: select disk 0
diskpart> ***type: list partition

Post a dump

Original Poster

ok thanks , but is it unlikly i will get 120gb if it isnt avalible to start with ?
i can except that resouces and os take some space but just never figured it possible to sell something whivh says it has a size on only to find it really doesnt.
I live and learn
thankyou for you help .
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Lower car insurance78
    2. Add one, leave one game54315412
    3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1941377
    4. Any PS4 News Here29313885

See more discussions