Help with wiring for ceiling fan

Found 28th Jan
I bought a ceiling fan but the block only has 3 poets, one each for live, neutral and earth. I seem to have 4 live wires as per the picture. All 4 are red, surely I can't put them all in the same port or it'll go bang? 2885096-kAjWI.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Wtf are 'ports'? Get somebody competent to fit it as you obviously aren't. I know that sounds blunt and nasty,but you still want to be alive tomorrow yes?
34 Comments
I think they’re the lights on the loop. Just make sure the switch live is on it’s own
Original Poster
Thanks but where do I put the switch live wire into? The new fan only has 3 ports, the old fan had 4 or should I stick to the same old port, which would probably be the more sensible solution!
Wtf are 'ports'? Get somebody competent to fit it as you obviously aren't. I know that sounds blunt and nasty,but you still want to be alive tomorrow yes?
Shengis1 h, 0 m ago

Wtf are 'ports'? Get somebody competent to fit it as you obviously aren't. …Wtf are 'ports'? Get somebody competent to fit it as you obviously aren't. I know that sounds blunt and nasty,but you still want to be alive tomorrow yes?

+1 This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then again,
33153738-mbXqW.jpg
shadey1214 m ago

+1 This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Then again,[Image]

It's easy enough to wire up (bodge up) and from what I can see there the 'probable' outcome is that the new light would be permanently switched on if all 4 reds were connected together. Imho the OP should take the new fitting back and get a different one as from what they describe the fan can only be used when the light is on.

Edit: I'm assuming this is a light/fan combo as most are.......
Edited by: "Shengis" 28th Jan
Shengis1 h, 3 m ago

It's easy enough to wire up (bodge up) and from what I can see there the …It's easy enough to wire up (bodge up) and from what I can see there the 'probable' outcome is that the new light would be permanently switched on if all 4 reds were connected together. Imho the OP should take the new fitting back and get a different one as from what they describe the fan can only be used when the light is on.Edit: I'm assuming this is a light/fan combo as most are.......

It could have separate pull switches,
33154199-SdRRM.jpgHowever the fact the op Joined hukd today to ask how to do it would suggest a lack of competence.
You need to keep the 4 blocks. Best thing to do if separate a connector block from the old light and use that as additional block.
1st block is earth (bare wire covered in green and yellow sleeving)
2nd blocks is all the neutrals ( black colour but new wiring is normally blue in colour)
3rd block is the switch live ( red single wire. This is the block terminal that is connected to the light switch. When u turn the light switch on the light will come on)
4th block is the rest of the red wires ( these are continuous live part of the loop. New colours for red is brown in this day and age )
If u connect you light to this it will stay on continuous.
I hate doing these. I want to change the light fitting in the hall but I know it has the switch live wire in it. More than that though I hate ceiling fans. Hideous things.
Is it not now ilegal to do this sort of thing DIY?
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 21 m ago

I hate doing these. I want to change the light fitting in the hall but I …I hate doing these. I want to change the light fitting in the hall but I know it has the switch live wire in it. More than that though I hate ceiling fans. Hideous things.

You are a fanist

#CeilingfansLivesMatter

Knowing how much common sense you have and which coffee shop you drink your coffee in I'm guessing you have solar powered forced air climate controlled digitally enhanced artificial intelligent air conditioning system so have no real use of a basic ceiling fan

Am I right?

^^^^^humour^^^^^

33154959-FlAzj.jpg
shadey122 h, 42 m ago

It could have separate pull switches,[Image] However the fact the op …It could have separate pull switches,[Image] However the fact the op Joined hukd today to ask how to do it would suggest a lack of competence.

True. It's not a very good design though if you think about it. If you use it during the day for just the fan then have to try to find the light pull in the dark, falling over everything in your path...... I think that was the sort I used to have but the light on/off switch was broken. I ended up removing the fan section and making a new light fitting out of what was left as the fan was too low anyway
Shengis13 m ago

True. It's not a very good design though if you think about it. If you use …True. It's not a very good design though if you think about it. If you use it during the day for just the fan then have to try to find the light pull in the dark, falling over everything in your path...... I think that was the sort I used to have but the light on/off switch was broken. I ended up removing the fan section and making a new light fitting out of what was left as the fan was too low anyway

I agree It is bad design, all the more reason to have someone relatively competent fit it, the op may not bother connecting the earth if the present light doesn't need one, potentially leading to a nasty suprise (or worse) for someone in the future if the fitting develops a fault.
i am not an electrician so i only do like for like swap. anything more complicated and i pay someone else who understands electrics to connect it up.

this looks too confusing and if you don't understand electrics, which you appear not to from your original post, i would just pay an electrician to connect it.
OP hasn't responded for 6 hours! Hopefully this is down to being a HUKD newbie and he hasn't gone ahead and rewired this himself 💥💥
Original Poster
Shengis6 h, 9 m ago

Wtf are 'ports'? Get somebody competent to fit it as you obviously aren't. …Wtf are 'ports'? Get somebody competent to fit it as you obviously aren't. I know that sounds blunt and nasty,but you still want to be alive tomorrow yes?

What a very kind thing to say. Thanks for your constructive criticism
Original Poster
I did it myself after reading lots of instruction books and diagrams. Both the fan and light are working fine and all the upstairs lights work normally. Thanks for those who left helpful comments. 33155524-G4Llw.jpg
Original Poster
refix3 h, 56 m ago

You need to keep the 4 blocks. Best thing to do if separate a connector …You need to keep the 4 blocks. Best thing to do if separate a connector block from the old light and use that as additional block. 1st block is earth (bare wire covered in green and yellow sleeving)2nd blocks is all the neutrals ( black colour but new wiring is normally blue in colour)3rd block is the switch live ( red single wire. This is the block terminal that is connected to the light switch. When u turn the light switch on the light will come on)4th block is the rest of the red wires ( these are continuous live part of the loop. New colours for red is brown in this day and age )If u connect you light to this it will stay on continuous.

Thank you VERY MUCH for your extremely helpful post. I managed to do it in the end with no issues thankfully :-)
Original Poster
mccauley49 m ago

OP hasn't responded for 6 hours! Hopefully this is down to being a HUKD …OP hasn't responded for 6 hours! Hopefully this is down to being a HUKD newbie and he hasn't gone ahead and rewired this himself 💥💥

I did rewire it as remix said. No issues. Sorry I've been out performing dances from the 16th century all afternoon
Original Poster
Shengis5 h, 6 m ago

It's easy enough to wire up (bodge up) and from what I can see there the …It's easy enough to wire up (bodge up) and from what I can see there the 'probable' outcome is that the new light would be permanently switched on if all 4 reds were connected together. Imho the OP should take the new fitting back and get a different one as from what they describe the fan can only be used when the light is on.Edit: I'm assuming this is a light/fan combo as most are.......

I can use the fan without the light on actually.

I did rewire it as remix said. No issues. Sorry I've been out performing dances from the 16th century all afternoon
philphil611 h, 44 m ago

You are a fanist#CeilingfansLivesMatterKnowing how much common sense you …You are a fanist#CeilingfansLivesMatterKnowing how much common sense you have and which coffee shop you drink your coffee in I'm guessing you have solar powered forced air climate controlled digitally enhanced artificial intelligent air conditioning system so have no real use of a basic ceiling fanAm I right?^^^^^humour^^^^^[Image]

Coffee? I'm a dyed in the wool tea drinker! My other house is solar powered (I am cheap) but the deals aren't there for solar panels any more. As for air conditioning, I've got a fan from b&q which is more than adequate for Yorkshire.
Glad you managed to rewire it. I hate doing these. Not because I can't do it, I just find I can never get all the wiring back inside the light fitting. Intrigued about the 16th century dancing. What kind of dances did they do in those days? Sounds very interesting. In my previous life as an archaeologist I did dig up a Shakespearean theatre so I know a bit about their drama etc but not a lot about the dancing.
Original Poster
Well we danced a fair bit of 'branle' The branle was danced by a group of dancers, with couples holding hands. The dance alternated a number of side steps to the left with smaller steps to the right. The branle is mentioned in Shakespeare's love's labour's lost.
andrew.king11 m ago

Well we danced a fair bit of 'branle' The branle was danced by a group of …Well we danced a fair bit of 'branle' The branle was danced by a group of dancers, with couples holding hands. The dance alternated a number of side steps to the left with smaller steps to the right. The branle is mentioned in Shakespeare's love's labour's lost.

Oh how interesting. I'll have to look that up. I've never heard of that before. We're you at some kind of festival or something? We have so much history and culture in this little island but we take it so much for granted.
andrew.king12 m ago

Well we danced a fair bit of 'branle' The branle was danced by a group of …Well we danced a fair bit of 'branle' The branle was danced by a group of dancers, with couples holding hands. The dance alternated a number of side steps to the left with smaller steps to the right. The branle is mentioned in Shakespeare's love's labour's lost.

Branle - Morris dancing without the sticks?

In the voice of Patricia Hodge (Miranda) "such fun"

^^^only joking^^^

I'd love to learn to waltz and tango (I've done basic merengue/salsa) but there's not much "calling"
psychobitchfromhell50 m ago

Coffee? I'm a dyed in the wool tea drinker! My other house is solar …Coffee? I'm a dyed in the wool tea drinker! My other house is solar powered (I am cheap) but the deals aren't there for solar panels any more. As for air conditioning, I've got a fan from b&q which is more than adequate for Yorkshire.

But you said in a previous comment, in so many words, that you frequent a coffee shop.

And you're in Bradford...... now if you were talking about Darlington and further north then I would consider it being "North" and potentially cold and windy but Bradford..... smack in the middle of our island just north of the Midlands - the only thing cold and windy are the women

roflmao
philphil6122 m ago

But you said in a previous comment, in so many words, that you frequent a …But you said in a previous comment, in so many words, that you frequent a coffee shop.And you're in Bradford...... now if you were talking about Darlington and further north then I would consider it being "North" and potentially cold and windy but Bradford..... smack in the middle of our island just north of the Midlands - the only thing cold and windy are the womenroflmao

Which coffee shop did I mention? Son drinks the stuff but I really don't like it unless extremely strong and very black. Husband was allergic. As for how far north I am, we are tight in Yorkshire so we don't turn the heating on. In the summer we open the Windows. I was brought up in Scotland where the idea of turning up the heating was to stick your duffel coat on the bed as an extra blanket. Are the women cold and windy in Bradford? I don't know. I think I'm quite warm and nice but I'm not from Bradford. Bedroom is like a freezer though. Don't mean that metaphorically though, I just hate warm bedrooms. If you can see your breath the temperature is about right.
A light fan Combi will not have a switched feed as the switch is a pull cord on the fitting. It will have live (loop), return and earth. Switch would be redundant.
cmdr_elito20 m ago

A light fan Combi will not have a switched feed as the switch is a pull …A light fan Combi will not have a switched feed as the switch is a pull cord on the fitting. It will have live (loop), return and earth. Switch would be redundant.

Think you missed the point. The fan is like that but the electrics are a live switch and a loop. Seems op may have resolved the issue now
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 20 m ago

Oh how interesting. I'll have to look that up. I've never heard of that …Oh how interesting. I'll have to look that up. I've never heard of that before. We're you at some kind of festival or something? We have so much history and culture in this little island but we take it so much for granted.

I was at a church hall. Once a month this group gets together to perform, they also perform to the public during the year in costume of the era. Yes there is so much history! I ring church bells and play in a brass band. I love classic cars and steam trains/traction engines too.
andrew.king29 m ago

I was at a church hall. Once a month this group gets together to perform, …I was at a church hall. Once a month this group gets together to perform, they also perform to the public during the year in costume of the era. Yes there is so much history! I ring church bells and play in a brass band. I love classic cars and steam trains/traction engines too.

Trains? Traction engines? Please can you adopt my son?
Who knew that hukd had sensitive poets in the user base?
psychobitchfromhell17 h, 8 m ago

Think you missed the point. The fan is like that but the electrics are a …Think you missed the point. The fan is like that but the electrics are a live switch and a loop. Seems op may have resolved the issue now

All they're saying is 2 of the red wires didn't actually 'need' to be connected. Thats why there were only 3 terminals rather than 4. Irrelevant now but there you go........
psychobitchfromhell18 h, 1 m ago

Which coffee shop did I mention? Son drinks the stuff but I really don't …Which coffee shop did I mention? Son drinks the stuff but I really don't like it unless extremely strong and very black. Husband was allergic. As for how far north I am, we are tight in Yorkshire so we don't turn the heating on. In the summer we open the Windows. I was brought up in Scotland where the idea of turning up the heating was to stick your duffel coat on the bed as an extra blanket. Are the women cold and windy in Bradford? I don't know. I think I'm quite warm and nice but I'm not from Bradford. Bedroom is like a freezer though. Don't mean that metaphorically though, I just hate warm bedrooms. If you can see your breath the temperature is about right.

I don't think you mentioned the name but yes I think I remember you saying something to do with your son - I was only sh*t stirring

I also remember the previous discussion about Yorkshire people being tight and the fact that I mentioned a girl living close to Catterick who wasn't that tight that she wanted to share more.

I used to be a draft excluder as a kid sleeping up against the door and on occasions under the sideboard and I've slept rough (in the UK and overseas) and slept in places where rats were snuggling underneath me (in a barn) to keep warm (whilst on exercise in the army) but now I hate the cold (probably because I can't do what I used to be able to do)

except my feet!

Whilst the room is cosy my feet will forever be irritable and remain sticking out from under the quilt or being forced to walk barefoot throughout the home on cold surfaces to cool them down. I think my feet are still pre-illness (ex postie/ex military/ex cyclist/ex jogger) whilst the rest of me is waiting for the knackers yard

Wonders if I can get a transplant - keep the feet but replace everything else?
philphil611 h, 19 m ago

I don't think you mentioned the name but yes I think I remember you saying …I don't think you mentioned the name but yes I think I remember you saying something to do with your son - I was only sh*t stirring ;)I also remember the previous discussion about Yorkshire people being tight and the fact that I mentioned a girl living close to Catterick who wasn't that tight that she wanted to share more.I used to be a draft excluder as a kid sleeping up against the door and on occasions under the sideboard and I've slept rough (in the UK and overseas) and slept in places where rats were snuggling underneath me (in a barn) to keep warm (whilst on exercise in the army) but now I hate the cold (probably because I can't do what I used to be able to do) except my feet! Whilst the room is cosy my feet will forever be irritable and remain sticking out from under the quilt or being forced to walk barefoot throughout the home on cold surfaces to cool them down. I think my feet are still pre-illness (ex postie/ex military/ex cyclist/ex jogger) whilst the rest of me is waiting for the knackers yardWonders if I can get a transplant - keep the feet but replace everything else?

Think it must've been driving all the way to Crewe only to find it closed, going to Costa (my friend drinks coffee and I had a money off voucher) then driving home. Strangely enough the only bit of me I don't like being cold is my feet. If they get cold,I can never warm them back up again.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants