Groups

Help with Xbox Live?

So heres the story/Problem,

I'm Running 20mb virgin media broadband, and i have a dlink dir-615 router with my xbox 360 sat right next to it, Im having problems with lag and slow speeds on xbox live.

Basically im never getting full green bars on call of duty, when my NAT is moderate the game play seams more stable than when it is open. Yet is constantly lagging.

Anyone have any ideas how to get around this problem?

6 Comments

if your playing cod mw2 its likely thats its the xbox server
    do you get lag on other games online?

Run a speedtest and check your ping. If its quite high then gaming will be laggy.

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;7735288

Run a speedtest and check your ping. If its quite high then gaming will … Run a speedtest and check your ping. If its quite high then gaming will be laggy.

My ping is 28

Download speed - 19.16 MB
    Upload Speed - 0.21Mb

Iv tested it before and on occasions my ping has been as high as 136?

could this be my problem, if so how do i solve it?

Are you connected to the router via wireless or ethernet? If you're using wireless, try hooking it up with a cable - you'll get much better performance even though the router is close by.

Few other things to consider:
    - Interference (if wireless)
    - Virgin Media throttling the line. Do you download a lot via P2P/some other method which would cause VM to limit your speed?
    - Other computers on the network? They may be torrenting, gaming, downloading and hogging the bandwidth. Probably unlikely though..

Original Poster

oldmanhouse;7735404

Are you connected to the router via wireless or ethernet? If you're using … Are you connected to the router via wireless or ethernet? If you're using wireless, try hooking it up with a cable - you'll get much better performance even though the router is close by.Few other things to consider:- Interference (if wireless)- Virgin Media throttling the line. Do you download a lot via P2P/some other method which would cause VM to limit your speed?- Other computers on the network? They may be torrenting, gaming, downloading and hogging the bandwidth. Probably unlikely though..

Im going straight into the router via ethernet, there are other computers on the network but none are downloading or gaming, just browsing the web,

i may give virgin a ring,

try other less over populated games on line, COD4, Left 4 Dead, the new Battlefield 2 MP demo just to ensure its not just that game for example.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk44
      2. Win a Karcher Xpert Pressure Washer88
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33

See more discussions