Groups

Help! Xbox 360 RROD!

Last night, I flashed a friend's Xbox 360 (had a BenQ drive) with iXtreme 1.6 and now, after he's taken it back home, it has the RROD!

I booted up a few backups of mine to test it last night and they loaded up fine. Granted, I didn't play them at all - only loaded them to test the Xbox was accepting backed-up disks.

Not really sure what to do now! Has the flashing caused this problem or was the problem there before and it's a coincidence that the console is RRODing now? Help, please

12 Comments

How many lights is it?

might be a silly question but did you take the heat sink off or anything when you flashed it?

as the DVD drive doesnt cause the RROD i would be VERY suprised if it is the cause

Original Poster

RedIron;5491534

How many lights is it?

He didn't say, he's bringing it round tomorrow for me to look at. I'm hoping it's not 3 :-(

leecher;5491547

might be a silly question but did you take the heat sink off or anything … might be a silly question but did you take the heat sink off or anything when you flashed it?as the DVD drive doesnt cause the RROD i would be VERY suprised if it is the cause

Nope, I just took the drive out, flashed the drive and put it back in - didn't touch anything else.

just try the obvious take it all apart, tighten the screws make sure nothing has fallen inside or you have knocked anything. Ive only ever had this when taking the heat sinks off but never with simply flashing.

Hope hes outside the 3 year warrenty id be gutted otherwise.

Original Poster

Thanks, i'll take it apart tomorrow and have a poke around for anything strange.

MFR Date was sometime in 2007 so if worst comes to worst, he'll have to get it replaced under warranty. I managed to keep the warranty sticker intact but I still feel bad for seemingly killing his Xbox! Praying for a coincidence here!

leecher;5491680

Hope hes outside the 3 year warrenty id be gutted otherwise.

i thought taking it apart and flashing it will void the warranty anyway

you was VERY luck to keep the sticker intact!

obviously flash it back before you send it away.
    If you do have to do this id love to hear the results

Leave the custom firmwire on the drive, i have done, if warranty sticker is there and in tact. They should just repair

You could of trapped the fan, or took the cable of the system board for the fan. If so, 2 red lights.

Flexing the board during the dissemble could of caused the 3 red lights, with the solder pads coming away.

Original Poster

Cheers for the replies guys. I'll report back tomorrow once I've looked at the console. Hopefully, it's just something small like trapped fans, as mentioned above. Fingers crossed!

i bet your mate is happy eh ! LOLLLL

my xbox360 got 3 red rings from the dvd drive so maybe the drive has packed in mine wasn't flashed, it just stopped opening the disc tray... MS will replaced it though
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020

See more discussions